Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Unique taste profiles

I know that a lot has been said (though maybe not recently) about Buffalo Trace in this forum. Linn has posted some tasting notes and several people have listed BT in their "top 5", etc.

Is it still holding out as a favorite among forum members and is it doing as well if not better than the BT distillery had hoped?

I bought my first bottle of BT recently and have only had a few chances to sample it but I took notice right away of the unique taste profile. I normally tend towards sweeter, more full-bodied bourbons. Buffalo Trace is not in that category (at least not for me) but I have to say the intense spiciness and organic, earthy tones definitely made a strong positive impression. I believe several members spoke of "freshly plowed fields" or "the ground in spring time", etc. I could have sworn I was sitting in the middle of a corn field on a humid summer evening as I was sipping. Strange, I know, but the aroma of corn silk was definitely present.

Buffalo Trace really seems to stand out with these characteristics. As an intermediate-level bourbonnoisseur, just a couple of other whiskeys have struck me that way: Old Charter "The Classic 90" with its stronger-than-usual peppery notes in the finish, and George Dickel No. 12 (bourbon-cousin) which has a sweeter-than-usual combination of butter and apples in the nose and taste. Both are favorites of mine so BT may be moving its way up my list to join them.

What are some of the more unique bourbons that you guys have tried? It doesn't necessarily have to be a favorite or something that you liked. Just a bourbon, or perhaps a specific bottling, that raised a few flags in your palate.

Just curious....hope this isn't a repeat of a past thread. Thanks for any input!

-Troy

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Unique taste profiles

For something very dry try Old Taylor. The Beam version is fine. You might find some old National product around , and I have but they remain sealed for the time being.

Guru

One of my flag-raisers, along with the GD no. 12 that you mentioned, is Elijah Craig 12 y/o. (I think there's a thread on it in the Tasting forum.)

To my taste it is so different from what I expect a bourbon to taste like that it could deserve its own designation, akin to "Tennessee Whiskey". Of course, I'm still new at this serious tasting stuff; it may be that there are other bourbons that it resembles. However, I find little similarity to anything else I've tried, even the Elijah Craig 18 y/o. If someone had introduced me to both in a blind tasting, I would not have identified them as being from the same distillation process.

Another standout, though not as dramatically so, in my taste, is Virginia Gentleman 90*, six y/o. There's a thread or two on it in the Tasting forum, too. It is different in a different way (is that an oxymoron, or just moronic?). Whereas EC12 has additional flavors, VG90 (aka, "The Fox") has fewer, allowing a clearer perception of the remaining, customary flavors.

That's my two cents, unedited.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

Troy:

Check out Old Granddad Bottled in Bond (OGD BIB, in this forum). There's a lot of posting on its unique flavor profile, and the way its high-rye mashbill provides a somehow old-fashioned dry bite. Some folks, including me, love it.

Ralph Wilps

Connoisseur

Buf. Trace

to answer the first question you posed, Buffalo Trace is being expanded carefully by market as it has done very well in the markets where introduced (according to the last conversation I had with marketing manager Ken Weber).

At the same time, I know of a number of high volume bars in markets where it has been so far that report it did not sell well.

Your "freshly plowed field" would likely please Gary Gayheart and Elmer T. Lee. One and one-half years ago the first dumping of BT created a little less favorable reaction in this forum. However, they've made a few tweakings as I understand it. This seems to be a bourbon that some love and some don't. The BT folks win (well deserved) awards for experimentation.

Advanced Taster

My vote for unique bourbon also goes to Virginia Gentlemen 90, it seems to be 'smooth' in a way that other bourbons are not... It definitely lacks the 'bite' that most other bourbons have, but not in a watered down way...

Advanced Taster

Re: Buf. Trace

Thanks for the info Greg! Also thanks to the rest of you folks that have replied so far. I've got a few new bourbons to go try as a result.

I have to give credit to John Lipman for the term "freshly plowed field" though my tasting experience was right on with his. I guess we're becoming one with our inner farmer

Advanced Taster

Strange, VG90 struck me as good standard bourbon but slightly on the bland side. I'll have to go back and try it again for good measure. But, at times, I've gotten too accustomed to drinking 100 proof bourbons and then a sudden switch to an 80-90 proof drink made the bourbon seem overly mild or bland.

However I can't say the same for 94 proof Elijah Craig 12 yr. old. That stuff speaks loudly. Its got more fire and kick than many higher proof drinks but retains all the flavor and character you could ask for. A good one.

-Troy

Disciple

That was gonna be my suggestion for different & Yummy, Virginia Gentleman 90 "THE FOX"! I know that Linn will chime in with a hearty BLEEE when he gets the chance as well.

TomC

Disciple

For something that redifined my bourbonic scale, try Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year, another take on Buffalo Trace Mashbills It is inexpensive and mighty tasty and has been quite enlightening to more than one member.

Tom (AAA Fan) C

PS The 10 star, while quite good in itself, is a different bottling. . BLLEEEEEEE!!!!!!