Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Question I Need Help with T.W. Samuels Post Pro History.

Hi Everyone,

I need help on filling in the blanks on T.W. Samuels distillery and brands after Prohibition. According to family history (or legend), my great uncle, Samuel Westerman, owned the distillery for a number of years after the Samuels family had it. He supposedly had it until the mid 1970's when he either sold the plant and labels or maybe just sold his share of it. Here's what I've been able to find out so far:

1. According to Sam Cecils Book, THE EVOLUTION OF THE BOURBON WHISKEY INDUSTRY IN KENTUCKY , page 120, Sam Westerman is listed as the "Manager" of the distillery in 1949.

2. When I was in Bardstown about 10 years ago, I stopped at the Museum and one of the volunteers there graciously coppied a couple of pages from a book or magazine talking about the distillery and my uncle. I don't know which book or magazine it was but the reporter met with Charles Ritman who was the comptroller in charge of sales. It talks about the T.W. Samuels label being out of production from 1943 to 1951, so this interview happened in 1952 or later. He talks about the "moats" around the warehouses (which I don't remember seeing when I was there) and also says they were producing Elijah Craig and Jim Porter bourbons at this time.

3. I found a web page listing the T.W. Samuels Distillery as being Incorporated by Stanhope Foster and Samuel Westerman. It also mentions that they incorporated the name in Florida on August 29th, 1969. Samuel Westerman was listed as the President, Treasurer and director of the company. The address is listed as being on Lenore Rd. in Deatsville. This information was from 1969 or later.

Most of the history on the distillery that I've read says the distillery ceased operations in 1952. So, I'm trying to piece together where my great uncle fits into the picture. Were they still distilling and bottling in Deatsville after 1952? Or, did he just have his office there and either purchased whiskey from other distillers or actually had them produce and bottle his labels for him? My mother also mentioned years ago that he had in interest in either National Distillers or American Distillers based out of Detroit. I believe this company was his distribution arm. I never took the time to meet my great uncle when he was still alive as he and my great aunt had divorced a number of year before. I still received a christmas gift and birthday card every year from him. If my memory serves me right, some of those items were postmarked from Louisville, Ky. Anyway, if anyone has any info that will help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Disciple

Re: I Need Help with T.W. Samuels Post Pro History.

Mark,

IIRC, there are some old threads about that plant somewhere in here. There were also some pics.

Account #2 sounds like some writing from Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon.

I wish I knew more to help you, maybe one of the locals will see your post. Bettye Jo lives in Bardstown and knows the history very well.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Yeah, do a search on Deatsville.....

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've never found anything on that subject more comprehensive that Sam Cecil's book. I can confirm that Samuels didn't distill again after whatever date Sam says, I guess it was 1952, but I don't believe they immediately cleared out the warehouses, so they would have continued to run that part of the operation until all of the whiskey had been sold, which may well have been several more years. There was a bottled water operation running out of there fairly recently, like in the last 20 years.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Yeah, do a search on Deatsville.....
    Thanks Jeff - Great idea I hadn't thought of!

Mark

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Mark,

IIRC, there are some old threads about that plant somewhere in here. There were also some pics.

Account #2 sounds like some writing from Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon.

I wish I knew more to help you, maybe one of the locals will see your post. Bettye Jo lives in Bardstown and knows the history very well.
    I found some of those old threads a few weeks ago - in fact, that's how I found out about SB. There was someone who's uncle owned the property and I sent him a PM about it but haven't heard back from him yet. Is Bettye Jo a member of our fine group here? I'd love to talk to her!

Mark

Disciple

Yes, Bettye Jo is Boone. She knows lots of families and is part of the Beam family as well. If HH is not working overtime right now, she would be a wonderful source.

Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

Hi Everyone,

I found a daughter of a former worker through Toddy's and she's finding a decent amount of information for me. Apparently, the distillery did continue production for quite awhile after 1952. I have other - info if anyone is still watching this post I'll get into more detail.

Mark

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm watching. Tell me more.

Advanced Taster

Sorry Chuck for such a long wait! Things have been crazy around my place the past month. I'll gather the info I got from my contact and share it with you in a couple of days.

Mark