Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: I Need Help with T.W. Samuels Post Pro History.

Mark, There will be some members from SB staying at the General Nelson for the sampler. Maybe you could stop by after the sampler and share a pour or two with us at the gazebo. Only rule of etiquette is to bring a bottle to share. Doesn't matter what it is. As another member put it, "It isn't the cost of the offering, but the generosity of the act itself." Hope to see you there. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Hi Joe,

Looking forward to meeting you and whoever else might be there. See you at the Gazebo!

Mark

P.S. My avatar contains one of the signs from the Distillery I recently aquired!

Enthusiast

Mark, we met when Brad (Potbanger) had the get together in the abandoned warehouse in some west of Detroit suburb. Anyway, I will be at the sampler along with my husband (Pete) and Josh. I'm looking forward to meeting you again!
    Amy

Advanced Taster

Hi Amy,

I remember all of you, but may have problems recognizing you. I'll try and find you all! I'll bring some of my finds from T.W. to the afterglow at General Nelson in case anyone might be interested in seeing them.

Mark

Enthusiast

We're staying at the GN so we will see you at the Gazebo!
    Amy

Advanced Taster

Hi Everyone,

Great to see and meet all of you at the general nelson a few weeks ago. Amy, great seeing you and your husband again. Joe, a pleasure to finally meet you and thank your friend (forgot his name) for bringing the Stagg! Had a great conversation with him also.

I met with Kenny Halgash, who was the bottling superintendent at the old T.W. Samuels back in the early 70's when my Great Uncle still had the business. He moved on to HH and still works there to this day. We had a great visit and he basically confirmed the information I had gotten earlier from James Alan Wiggs - The distillery was still distilling until about 1970. After that time, they just bottled what they had in storage. So I am confident that the past history about the distillery that I had read was incorrect - they both distilled and bottled long after 1952. I also had the chance to meet with Bill Samuels and look at some old pictures from the distillery including progress pictures as the different rick houses were built. I think my favorite was the picture of the fermenting room where the open top cypress tanks sat. Overall a very nice visit with Bill. He told me my uncle was on the Kentucky Distiller's Assn.? for quite a few years including being the president for a couple of years. He had a couple pictures of the board from the early 60's but my uncle apparently wasn't available for the picture as he wasn't in them.

Still waiting to get some contact info on my uncle's attorney down in Detroit - I'm sure he has information that would be valuable to my research. Thanks to all who have been following this thread and for all the contributions. If and when I get more info, I'll post it hear as long as it is still active.

Mark

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    Mark,
    I was having a little Xmas cheer with an attorney I do some work for. He pulls out an old bottle of Jim Porter whiskey and starts telling me the story of Sam Wasterman and the T.W. Samuels Distillery. Apparently, his partner was your uncle’s lawyer and is familiar with your uncle’s ownership of T.W. Samuels distillery. After your uncle died, they were cleaning out the basement of your uncle’s downtown Detroit office and came across 3-5 cases of I.W. Harper, Elijah Craig?, Sam’s own private label and Jim Porter brands. That was some 30-40 years ago (don’t know exact date when your uncle died) and all the juice is now gone. Except for this 2/3 full bottle of Jim Porter. Only had one glass but very good stuff. Either 86 or 80 proof.
    TJ
    Mark:
    I am the attorney Boozer refers to in his message. One of my former partners was Sam Westerman's Michigan attorney & still has a photo of him in his office. He would be more than happy to speak with you & share his memories. I would prefer to give you his contact info off-line. Let me know how to contact you directly.

P.S. - I still have the 2/3 full bottle of Jim Porter & an (unfortunately)empty Old Jordan.

Advanced Taster

Thanks mamayak! I will PM you today. Maybe we can get together sometime and try that Jim Porter!

Mark

Advanced Taster

Well, I'm going to talk to Sam's lawyer on Mon. 11-29. I'll post any new information I get. Looking forward to meeting him - Thanks Mamayak for making this happen for me!

Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chefmel View Post
    Well, I'm going to talk to Sam's lawyer on Mon. 11-29. I'll post any new information I get. Looking forward to meeting him - Thanks Mamayak for making this happen for me!

Mark
    That's exciting, Mark! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog