Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: I Need Help with T.W. Samuels Post Pro History.

Lionstone was a decanter manufacturer, located here in Illinois I think.

Advanced Taster

In the glory days of the ceramic bourbon decanter, Lionstone was pitching right in there with the likes of Beam ... all though not quite as prolific ... I have seen collections of dozens of Lionstone decanters ...
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Advanced Taster

So . . . Lionstone would make the decanters and different distillery's would fill them with Bourbon or whiskey? I just purchased a Lionstone Bourbon mini off ebay with the city listed as Bardstown, Ky. I know that at some time towards the end of it's run, T.W. bottled this product as I saw a tank tag (or whatever they're called) for Lionstone Bourbon when I toured the old distillery. Someone please set me straight before I start going crazy buying up pre-1975 Lionstone decanters

Thanks!

Mark

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I remember Lionstone as making ceramics for everybody. I never knew they sold anything under their own name, but it doesn't surprise me that they did. Still, I think it's more appropriate to think of them as a supplier to the distilleries rather than a customer. Perhaps they had a special relationship with TWS, but I wouldn't assume that.

Advanced Taster

Hi everyone (or anyone)

Recently returned from Deatsville and will be posting some more info soon.

Mark

Disciple

Nice Chef. Looking forward to the info.

Enthusiast

Mark,
    I was having a little Xmas cheer with an attorney I do some work for. He pulls out an old bottle of Jim Porter whiskey and starts telling me the story of Sam Wasterman and the T.W. Samuels Distillery. Apparently, his partner was your uncle’s lawyer and is familiar with your uncle’s ownership of T.W. Samuels distillery. After your uncle died, they were cleaning out the basement of your uncle’s downtown Detroit office and came across 3-5 cases of I.W. Harper, Elijah Craig?, Sam’s own private label and Jim Porter brands. That was some 30-40 years ago (don’t know exact date when your uncle died) and all the juice is now gone. Except for this 2/3 full bottle of Jim Porter. Only had one glass but very good stuff. Either 86 or 80 proof.
    TJ

Advanced Taster

Wow! I can't believe it's been this long since I've visited this post. Sorry for the long delay! Boozer, thanks so much for the info! Can you put me in touch with the attorney?? I would love to talk to him and find out if there are any living relatives of Uncle Sam. I think he has a grandson living in the state, but there are a few Michael Westerman's and I haven't started contacting them yet to see if any of them are related. He died in the early 1980's I believe, so it's been nearly 30 years now. I would have loved to taste some of that Jim Porter. So far, I have no Jim Porter or Elijah Craig labels or bottles yet. Feel Free to PM me if you have contact info for the attorney.

Well, I was back in October and had the opportunity to take a former employee through the old distillery. He had a great time and so did I! I specifically asked him when they stopped distilling. He told me he left for Jim Beam in 1972 and that they had stopped distilling shortly before then, 1970 or 1971. So, this tends to disprove the standing history that the distillery ceased operations in 1952. I know they were bottling until at least 1974 if not later after my uncle had sold it. I've had such a wonderful time in Deatsville/Bardstown the past year and a half or so. I'm going back again next week for more research and to attend the KBF tasting on the 24th of April. Any of you going to be there?? I'm trying to contact a gentleman down there named Kenny who was the bottleshop super in the early 70's. I have quite a few memo's from my uncle to him and would love to sit down and talk to him. He's hard to get a hold of though! I've been invited to tour the Samuels family archives in Louisville when I'm down there and I'm really looking forward to seeing that and also to meet Bill. Should be a great experience. I will post any additional information after I returned. TJ - please contact me.

Mark

Advanced Taster

One more note on the Lionstone Bourbon. I purchased a Lionstone Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey mini bottle off the internet awhile ago. Produced in Bardstown. Not sure if it was made by HH, Bartons, or produced in Deatsville for one of them. So I know they had their own bourbon as well as making decanters for it.

Mark

Advanced Taster

Back again!

Looking over some of my previous posts, I failed to tell everyone some of the items I brought back last June and October. A couple of nice signs that hung in the distillery many years ago. I have to look at them again and write down what they say, then I'll be back to tell you about them.

Mark