Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

For The Love Of Pappy 15

I just had to start a thread expressing my absolute love for this wonderful pour. Every time I have it I'm stunned by its complexity and overall flavor profile. I usually stock my bunker with Julio's selected barrel of Pappy 15 so I can't speak on the others out there but I assume its great all around. I have only 2 more bunkered and would gladly buy it by the palette if I could afford to do so.

I just want to have a thread here so that everyone who shares the love of this whiskey could have a place to express it. I look forward to hearing the love!

James
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Re: For The Love Of Pappy 15

James... make sure you get Ryan to hold a bottle of his for you ... too damn good

Connoisseur

The first 3 drinks I had this evening were "Manhattans". The first was made with Jack Daniels, the second with some kind of Canadian whiskey, and the third made the same but served in a an old fashioned glass with ice. Further testament to the fact that the bars around here suck ass, I guess. I mean I said I wanted a "Rye Manhattan" all 3 times and not once did I get what I asked for...
    However, having no rye open at home I made myself a GTS Manhattan and it's great taste (1 shot GTS ('07), 1/3 shot red vermouth, 1 maraschino cherry, 3 cubes, and 3 dashes of Angostura bitters) shat all over the concoctions I'd previously had at the local pubs. :/
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Virtuoso

Pappy 15 is a tough bourbon to beat and in the whole scope of high end whisky/ey is still an excellent value...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    James... make sure you get Ryan to hold a bottle of his for you ... too damn good
    Is that just his regular barrel purchase or does he have another "special for himself" bottling? Let me know 'cause I'm crazy for the stuff
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Irreverent One

Along with the Lot B and GTS, one of my three favorite current-production bourbons.

I've yet to try a Pappy 20. I note that many seem to express a preference for the 15 (in the "pick your top 5" thread it got more votes than the 20). Because I don't like my whiskies too woody, I've held off on getting any.

I've noticed (at least in this part of the world) that when a store gets in some 15, they're gone soon, while the 20s sit around (I know of at least three places where I can get a 20). I suppose it's partly the price difference ($50 vs $92) but probably not just that.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

PVW 15 is one of my top two or three... simply fantastic.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Is that just his regular barrel purchase or does he have another "special for himself" bottling? Let me know 'cause I'm crazy for the stuff
    It was part of the BD, BE, and L&K barrel purchase... I tasted the barrel... its'a must get... Talke to Ryan soon...

Virtuoso

Pappy Van Winkle 15yo is probably my favorite bourbon!
    I'm a cheapskate and don't like to spend too much on bottles, but PVW15 is just about the only one I have no problem paying more than $40 for (on a regular basis). Whenever I think about buying something else in that price range (or more), I usually ask myself "would I rather have this or PVW15?", and the Pappy 15 usually wins (unless it's something I haven't had before that I want to try, like the FR120th that I'm going to get).

Virtuoso

In our area, DC, Va, Md you can always find the Pappy 20... and rarely find the 15. From a taste perspective the 15, IMO, is the better bourbon regardless of the price differential. It would appear that Van Winkle has a sweet spot that runs from 12-18 years of age with the the 15 year mid-point being the high point.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"