Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello from Southport, North Caolina

Hello Whiskey Lovers,

How's it going every body? I'm glad I found this site. To be able to convo with others that share the same passion is great. My favorite Bourbon is Old Grand-Dad but I am currently drinking Early Times on a regular basis. It's cheaper and doesn't taste bad. I haven't had the pleasure of trying these "single batch"/ "small batch" bourbons yet....low budget, but I am looking forward to trying some. Any suggestions on which ones are good.

Ok, I'm at work and need to go. Just wanted to say hello.

Thanks and have a great day.

Steve

Guru

Re: Hello from Southport, North Caolina

Welcome Steve... if you are on a budget.. try some Old Foresters, AA and even some Beam Black 8yr...

Here are some good thoughts on that question as well:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=11010

Look forward to your psots as you taste your way through the bourbons

Connoisseur

I pass through Southport every so often on the way to Bald Head for some fishing and bourbon sipping. Got a friend who has a beach house out there. Selection in NC isn't too special, though I have seen Elmer T Lee and Eagle Rare 10 year on recent visits. The Old Forester Signature is very good and reasonably priced - if it's available there. Alternatively, it's a short run down 17 (is that the old coastal highway...?) to SC where the liquor stores are privately owned and the selection can be much better.
    Craig

Welcome Steve. If you want some good suggestions, a good place to start would be to do a search on some of the past threads here. There's literally a ton of posts on the subject. Other than that, go ahead and ask away. There's no shortage of folks willing to help. Hope you like it here. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

Hey,
    Thanks for the welcomes and replies and suggestions.

Spun_cookie: Yes, I've tried AA, Beam, JD, and a few other bottom/middle shelf brands. So far OGD tops them. Not sure I've even heard of Old Foresters. I'll sure look for it and try it out. What's a Spun-cookie?

Craig: Yes 17 is the Old Coastal Highway. I'll have to run down there one weekend and check out there selection. I was looking for some OGD 114 here locally and they didn't carry it....they never even heard of it.
    Maybe we can hook up the next time you come through and do some tast-testing? I don't do much fishing these days but I do love to ride my Harley....do you have a bike?

Joe: thanks for the sugesstion. Talking to fellow Whiskey lover....I'm sure I will like it here.

Thanks, Steve

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Southport, North Caolina? I used to live in Southport, Gold Coast (Australia)

Anyway, welcome to the site Steve. I hope you find lots of inspiration and information here.