Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Disciple

Re: 1 bourbon a month

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    So, just so we know....what is your beef with the AAA 10 Star? You seem to be fine with its brothers...ETL and AAA 10 year.
    I personally find ETL a little too sweet for my tastes, but it is a good fit for the OP's list. I really like the AAA 10yo profile as an example of capital-B Bourbon, and I have no beef with the 10 Star (just relaying what I've read here about its quality relative to the 10 year old.)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Disciple

Gotcha.

Its quality is just as good as ETL and AAA 10 year. Its profile fits right in line between the Bib and the 10 yr. Actually, I think that I like it better than the 10yr for price and proof reasons. The 10yr is damn good, though. I often stretch my 10 yr bottle with the Bib, since I forgot to refill my supply of 10yr last trip to Ky. Made sure to get some Bib, though. I think the Bib handle went for just over $20, the 10yr is near $40, IIRC. Seems like the last 10 star I bought was around $26 all 1.75ml's.

Hands down...this mashbill has to one of the best in all of bourbon land.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Hey folks,

I have a deal with my wife where I can buy 1 bottle of burbon a month for under $30. I am about to spend some time with friends for July 4th so I want to make sure my purchase for this month is top notch. Since I am a relatively new bourbon drinker I like to try something new each month. I would love your suggestions.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Blantons
    Buffalo Trace
    Bulleit
    Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 12
    Four Roses Small Batch
    Jim Beam White
    Knob Creek
    Maker's Mark
    Very Old Barton 86
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey 80
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    WL Weller Special Reserve
    Basil Hayden

I usually drink my bourbon with ice and have found drinks around 90 proof are a good balance for me (although I certainly don't stick only in that range). Of those I have tried ER10 has been my favorite. I also really like 4R Small Batch. Basil Hayden and EC12 are also on my good list. I like Maker's for its smoothness, but find it lacks any complexity. Knob Creek has been my least favorite (i pick up a strong earthy taste in it) and although 1792 was my gateway bourbon it no longer is a favorite pour.

To give you an idea of prices around here, with the exception of Rare Breed and Blantons, I can get all of these for under $30 (many for right around $20)

Thoughts for something to try?
    Having put back quite a few bottles since first posting this, I am now able to give myself advice. Looking back I would tell myself this:

Ya gotta get some rye in there. Try Rittenhouse BIB, you can't go wrong. I would also recommend Elmer T Lee. It is a BT bourbon and has some nice complexities.

If you like Maker's Mark, you should try WL Weller 12 yo. It is a similar mash bill, but has a much more complex flavor. I think you will find the smoothness and the flavor there.

No matter what other people say, don't try the OGD BIB (but if you do, only by a 200 ML). Trust me, you won't like it.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I would definitely recommend Sam Houston VSB. No one has mentioned & I don't read too much about it on the forum, so perhaps it's not especially popular, but I've had most of the bourbons on your initial list and I prefer Sam Houston to almost all of them (ALMOST). It has a peppery taste that is balanced with some sweetness, classic flavor but different than most bourbons I've tried.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    ...No matter what other people say, don't try the OGD BIB (but if you do, only by a 200 ML). Trust me, you won't like it.

i thought that myself, really, a year ago...and about 1/5 into that first 5th of OGD100!

then it got better. and butterscotchy. the bite was a pleasure. etc.

just finished off my second bottle and it was the best $14.99 i ever spent.

still, that OGD 114 i spent $20.99 on a week before was pretty much even better money spent!

to be honest, OGD 114 is a good 11 parsecs away from the local solar system bottling of OGDbib....no matter what part of the cosmos you orbit, either pour is a pleasure!
    HUP!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    i thought that myself, really, a year ago...and about 1/5 into that first 5th of OGD100!

then it got better. and butterscotchy. the bite was a pleasure. etc.

just finished off my second bottle and it was the best $14.99 i ever spent.

still, that OGD 114 i spent $20.99 on a week before was pretty much even better money spent!

to be honest, OGD 114 is a good 11 parsecs away from the local solar system bottling of OGDbib....no matter what part of the cosmos you orbit, either pour is a pleasure!
    I have only had one bottle of it and it was a 200ml. I would be willing to retry it, but certainly not on my own dime. It tasted like paint thinner last time I had it.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Kickert, the OGD 114 is a fine pour - and if you can find pre-Beam (Clermont) OGD 86 or OGD Bottled in Bonds, these are excellent as well. There are multiple threads on this site that go into considerable detail on these bottlings. And if you can find them, they are likely to be priced low. Happy hunting.

SSWC