Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Some local friends and I are planning a tasting of single malts, and trying to put together a selection that covers a range of styles (although there's some overlap already because of the desire to use what some of us have on hand).

    So far the lineup is:

    1. Rosebank (lowland, 13yo, unpeated, sherry cask aged)

    2. Macallan Cask (Speyside, NAS, moderately peaty, sherry cask aged)

    3. Aberlour a'bunadh (Speyside, NAS, moderately peaty, sherry cask aged)

    4. Highland Park (Orkney, 18yo, moderately peaty, bourbon and sherry cask aged)

    5. Laphroaig Quarter Cask (Islay, NAS, very peaty, bourbon cask aged)

    The one thing I'd like add to this is something moderately peaty and aged in bourbon barrels. Trying to identify one has been a challenge. The www.whisky-distilleries.info site has been some help, but cask type is given for only a minority of bottlings.

    I'm pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that Glenmorangie 10yo is aged in bourbon casks. It's a little pricier than I like ($52) for the reason that one of the group wants to contribute a bottle but would like to stay below $50.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  2. #2
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
    Posts
    172

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Some local friends and I are planning a tasting of single malts, and trying to put together a selection that covers a range of styles (although there's some overlap already because of the desire to use what some of us have on hand).

    So far the lineup is:

    1. Rosebank (lowland, 13yo, unpeated, sherry cask aged)

    2. Macallan Cask (Speyside, NAS, moderately peaty, sherry cask aged)

    3. Aberlour a'bunadh (Speyside, NAS, moderately peaty, sherry cask aged)

    4. Highland Park (Orkney, 18yo, moderately peaty, bourbon and sherry cask aged)

    5. Laphroaig Quarter Cask (Islay, NAS, very peaty, bourbon cask aged)

    The one thing I'd like add to this is something moderately peaty and aged in bourbon barrels. Trying to identify one has been a challenge. The www.whisky-distilleries.info site has been some help, but cask type is given for only a minority of bottlings.

    I'm pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that Glenmorangie 10yo is aged in bourbon casks. It's a little pricier than I like ($52) for the reason that one of the group wants to contribute a bottle but would like to stay below $50.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks!
    Glenmo is aged in bourbon casks exclusively, no peat though. Scapa 14 you might try also, but really no peak. Maybe Coal lla, more peat but not over peaky.

  3. #3
    Taster
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    98

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Some local friends and I are planning a tasting of single malts, and trying to put together a selection that covers a range of styles (although there's some overlap already because of the desire to use what some of us have on hand).

    So far the lineup is:

    1. Rosebank (lowland, 13yo, unpeated, sherry cask aged)

    2. Macallan Cask (Speyside, NAS, moderately peaty, sherry cask aged)

    3. Aberlour a'bunadh (Speyside, NAS, moderately peaty, sherry cask aged)

    4. Highland Park (Orkney, 18yo, moderately peaty, bourbon and sherry cask aged)

    5. Laphroaig Quarter Cask (Islay, NAS, very peaty, bourbon cask aged)

    The one thing I'd like add to this is something moderately peaty and aged in bourbon barrels. Trying to identify one has been a challenge. The www.whisky-distilleries.info site has been some help, but cask type is given for only a minority of bottlings.

    I'm pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that Glenmorangie 10yo is aged in bourbon casks. It's a little pricier than I like ($52) for the reason that one of the group wants to contribute a bottle but would like to stay below $50.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks!
    Not to be picky, but your description of peating levels may be in dispute. For example, I do not believe Rosebank is unpeated, but very low. Also, I would say that the Mac and Alerlour are on the low peating side. Of course, the level of peating is actaully both objective and subjective. However, if you taste those two next to a Glen Garioch, which has a bit more of a peated quality for a highland malt, you can taste the difference. HP18, perhaps between mild and moderate. All good choices, however, you picked very well. For a moderate peating level, I would choise Caol Ila 12, or Talisker 10. Caol Ila has a wonderful olive like quality, Talisker a bit of a white pepper to it. I think of of those might be a nice contrast, and "step up" to and before the Laphroig (which is a great choice, but I would have choosen Ardbeg 15- a bit easier for newcomes to peat then the Laphy, I think).

    I also not a big fan of the Mac Cask Strenght. You already have a cask strenght Sherry bomb in the Aberlour abundah. I would with something that has a bit more of a malty center, for contrast. I like the Glenfiddich 15- much better than the 12. A great honeyed, malty drink. Glenlivet Naddura is also a good choose for a malty center. If you want a malt monster, for real contrast, any of the Glengyones would be great (and it is one of the truely unpeated malts).

    Have a blaste. FYI, I will be moving to the Tacoma area soon, so anyother malt lover in the Pacific North West.

  4. #4
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    60

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    What about one of the following?

    Talisker 10 or 18
    Ardmore Traditional Cask (peated highland)
    Longrow 10 or CV
    A Springbank as a change up

    Maybe an unfinished bruichladdich would be good too ie 10 or 12
    Last edited by TroyM; 06-30-2008 at 16:40.

  5. #5
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    60

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    I would have choosen Ardbeg 15- a bit easier for newcomes to peat then the Laphy, I think).

    .
    Can you provide me with the details of Ardbeg 15? Ive never seen it before

  6. #6
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    60

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    cask aged)



    The one thing I'd like add to this is something moderately peaty and aged in bourbon barrels. Trying to identify one has been a challenge.
    Thanks!
    More often than not a scotch that is yellow, gold or dessert wine coloured is from a bourbon cask. Whilst a port or sherry cask scotch will be amber, reddish or weak tea coloured. Most peated malt is from Islay though there a few exceptions.

  7. #7
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    Not to be picky
    Oh, go ahead.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    but your description of peating levels may be in dispute.
    "may"?

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    For example, I do not believe Rosebank is unpeated, but very low.
    I disagree. I've never encountered a peated lowland Scotch. Plus, I am very sensitive to peat (which is why your "light peat" is my "moderate peat"). If the Rosebank had any, I'd know it.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    Also, I would say that the Mac and Alerlour are on the low peating side. Of course, the level of peating is actaully both objective and subjective.
    My point exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    However, if you taste those two next to a Glen Garioch,
    Not available in Oregon.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    which has a bit more of a peated quality for a highland malt, you can taste the difference. HP18, perhaps between mild and moderate. All good choices, however, you picked very well. For a moderate peating level, I would choise Caol Ila 12,
    Leaning toward that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    or Talisker 10.
    Not available in Oregon.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    Caol Ila has a wonderful olive like quality, Talisker a bit of a white pepper to it. I think of of those might be a nice contrast, and "step up" to and before the Laphroig (which is a great choice, but I would have choosen Ardbeg 15- a bit easier for newcomes to peat then the Laphy, I think).
    The only Ardbeg available here is the 10 and the Uigeadail.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    I also not a big fan of the Mac Cask Strenght. You already have a cask strenght Sherry bomb in the Aberlour abundah.
    The guy hosting the tasting is offering the Mac. It's the only SMS he has. I don't want to tell him "no". Besides, I want to taste this side-by-side with the a'bunadh.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    I would with something that has a bit more of a malty center, for contrast. I like the Glenfiddich 15- much better than the 12. A great honeyed, malty drink.
    I'm guessing the 15 is the one listed on the OLCC list as the "Solera Reserve", $5 more than the 12yo.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    Glenlivet Naddura is also a good choose for a malty center.
    That one we can get.

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    If you want a malt monster, for real contrast, any of the Glengyones would be great (and it is one of the truely unpeated malts).
    "Glengyones"? Are you sure you spelled that right?

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    Have a blaste. FYI, I will be moving to the Tacoma area soon, so anyother malt lover in the Pacific North West.
    Washington, like Oregon, is a "controlled" state. Boy, are you in for a shock.

    But thanks for all the info. Next time I'm out of state, I'll look for some of these.
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  8. #8
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
    More often than not a scotch that is yellow, gold or dessert wine coloured is from a bourbon cask. Whilst a port or sherry cask scotch will be amber, reddish or weak tea coloured.
    That sounds reasonable. Thanks.
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  9. #9
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    If you want a malt monster, for real contrast, any of the Glengyones would be great (and it is one of the truely unpeated malts).
    Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    "Glengyones"? Are you sure you spelled that right?
    Glengoyne.

    Sounds interesting. Wish we could get it here in OR.
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  10. #10
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,544

    Re: Bourbon-cask aged Scotch

    Virtually all scotches are aged in bourbon barrels. The ones that call it out, I believe, are first refill. A more common practice is for first refill to be reserved for grain whiskey, then the single malts use the barrel after that. When the producer wants more bourbon character in a single, it uses a first refill bourbon cask. Those are the ones that promote their use of bourbon casks.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Bourbon aged in second fill barrels?
    By PAspirit1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 09:31
  2. Extra aged bourbon question
    By jinenjo in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 18:26
  3. Scotch aged in bourbon wood
    By Dave_in_Canada in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 12:17
  4. "Solera" Aged Bourbon?
    By Dave_in_Canada in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 15:58
  5. aged bourbon questions - newbie
    By the_possum in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 05:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top