Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Hola from Michigan!

Another newbie from Michigan checking in. I've been enjoying bourbon for years (mostly Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey 101), but only recently began down the path of bourbon "enthusiast" (a one-way trip with no turning back?) after a wonderful recent vacation in the Louisville/Lexington area - including visits to the Heaven Hill visitor place and the Maker's Mark distillery.

Found this site via Chuck Cowdery's website, and I look forward to learning from the wealth of experience that I'm sure "resides" here.

Regards,
    Jay

Irreverent One

Re: Hola from Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by hjminard View Post
    a one-way trip with no turning back?
    Yes, grasshopper, much like life itself.

Welcome to SB.com.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

Welcome, Jay.

Sounds like you have had some great times already. A trip to the Bourbon Holy Land is the place to start it all. Did you get good tours at your stops? What bourbons did you taste while at HH? Any favs?

Have you read Chucks book, yet? It is an invaluable learning tool.

Enjoy your time here and I look forward to all your input.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Hey Jay, welcome.
    Michigan has it's fair share here, but always room for one more.
    ovh

Guru

Welcome... Ur resident MI bourbon master will be by soon... To welcome you as well... ACDetriot is that states premier enthusiast

Advanced Taster

Welcome Jay - enjoy your stay. Great place, wonderful people and tons of knowledge to glean from all the members. I'll be heading the Bardstown area myself in about a month. Need to re-stock my cupboard!!

Mark

Welcome Jay, Yet another recruit for the great bourbon army of the north. General Tony sure has a lot of soldiers up there. But seriously , Welcome to the site, and I hope you enjoy it here. It's a good place, with good people and good times. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Jay, you are just North of me by say 20 minutes! Not sure what your plans are but we may have a little informal tasting tomorrow as a fellow SB'er from KY is heading over for the evening!

If you have any interest the bar will be open and I have about 40 bourbons open so feel free to PM me if your in.

Oh crap almost forgot! Welcome to the site we have a rather large Michigan following now. Hope you enjoy the ride and the knowledge! Don't let Spun give you any crazy ideas, He's the residential expert in Tuscon AZ.

Cheers!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Did you get good tours at your stops? What bourbons did you taste while at HH? Any favs?
    Yes! We (my wife and I) greatly enjoyed the tours at the HH Bourbon Heritage Center and at MM. The drive through that area is simply gorgeous, and the employees we met on our tours were excellent models of southern hospitality. At HH they separated us from a large group and gave us our own tour ... just the guide and us. Our guide seemed to be very knowledgeable, and even made it interesting for my wife (who doesn't like bourbon - except in sweet mint juleps). Our taste test included EW Black, EC 12 and EC18, as well as some white dog for educational purposes. Enjoyed all of them - except the dog - but my favorite was the EC18. Bought a bottle of it - signed by Parker Beam.

Have you read Chucks book, yet? It is an invaluable learning tool.
    Not yet, but I intend to. I did sign up for a subscription to "The Bourbon Country Reader".

Thank you to everyone for the kind and friendly welcome!

Advanced Taster

Thumbs up Re: Hola from Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Jay, you are just North of me by say 20 minutes! Not sure what your plans are but we may have a little informal tasting tomorrow as a fellow SB'er from KY is heading over for the evening!

If you have any interest the bar will be open and I have about 40 bourbons open so feel free to PM me if your in.
    Wow, Tony, what an incredibly generous offer and I sure wish I could say that I'm available. Sadly, I have unavoidable commitments.

I look forward to meeting (and learning from) you in the near future.

Thank you!
    Jay

p.s. 40 open bottles? I have a LOT of catching up to do!