Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: BHC Bottles

  1. #1
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    176

    BHC Bottles

    I stated in an earlier post that I ran across the 5 bottle BHC collection this weekend. My @ss is still chapped over the price ($400 P.S. It is still on the shelf). Has anyone else actually bought this collection? If so what was the price when you bought it? As far as indvidual bottles from the collection, what could I expect to pay IF I ever do find a bottle individually for sale? I know a several folks here (Andy) have been coming across several of these bottles lately. It is a little discouraging , but I am keping my eyes open a lot more. I am also trying to venture out more to see what I can find. I fear I am too late to locate any good finds like that around here, but I keep looking and asking around !
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

  2. #2
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,502

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Weller Cent is all I have ever seen. It was around $35 a bottle. Others seem to pay $30-35.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  3. #3
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    As far as indvidual bottles from the collection, what could I expect to pay IF I ever do find a bottle individually for sale? I know a several folks here (Andy) have been coming across several of these bottles lately. It is a little discouraging!
    Sorry, dude, I'm not trying to taunt you. I've found 5 each of the VSOF & OCPR and 4 Weller Centennials....since I'm in a liquor control state, the prices are always the same.....VSOF: $32.99, OCPR: $34.99 & Weller: $28.99...all plus tax & deposit.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

    Andy

  4. #4
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,606

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Yes, $30-40 is the regular going rate on those bottles.
    ______________________________

    Jeff Mo.

  5. #5
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    176

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Sorry, dude, I'm not trying to taunt you.
    I know, and I am glad to see them in the hands of someone who knows what they have and appreciates it. I just wish I could come across some of these bottles around here.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

  6. #6
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    I know, and I am glad to see them in the hands of someone who knows what they have and appreciates it. I just wish I could come across some of these bottles around here.
    Seriously, I would pay up to $40 and think of going over if I see VSOF -- that one really plugs me in.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

    Andy

  7. #7
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    176

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Seriously, I would pay up to $40 and think of going over if I see VSOF -- that one really plugs me in.
    I happen to have just finished my first pour of this about 5 min ago. It is a very different taste than I am used to. I do like it, a lot. There is something in the nose that reminds me of something, I just cant put my finger on it. I am going to sit down with this one again over the weekend and figure it out though (hopefully). I have heard a lot about the Weller Cent also. I really liked the OWA 107 and was wondering how they compared, if at all.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

  8. #8
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,502

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    I happen to have just finished my first pour of this about 5 min ago. It is a very different taste than I am used to. I do like it, a lot. There is something in the nose that reminds me of something, I just cant put my finger on it. I am going to sit down with this one again over the weekend and figure it out though (hopefully). I have heard a lot about the Weller Cent also. I really liked the OWA 107 and was wondering how they compared, if at all.
    I find Weller Cent to be much more similar to Weller 12 than to OWA 107. The Cent is a very mellow 100 proof with great caramel/vanilla, the OWA is more fiery (and cinamonny) to me.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  9. #9
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    176

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I find Weller Cent to be much more similar to Weller 12 than to OWA 107. The Cent is a very mellow 100 proof with great caramel/vanilla, the OWA is more fiery (and cinamonny) to me.

    Thanks Ben, I think that is what I was looking for. I like the fiery bourbon flavor in the 107. I tend to lean more towards the higher rye bourbons. For some reason, the OWA107 really hit the spot with me and has become a regular. I do not recall ever having the 12yr, just the 7 yr. SR and 107 of the Weller brand. I am always wanting to try something different, and since the Cent. is hard to find, it is most appealing at the moment.....
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

  10. #10
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: BHC Bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    I like the fiery bourbon flavor in the 107. I tend to lean more towards the higher rye bourbons. For some reason, the OWA107 really hit the spot with me and has become a regular. I do not recall ever having the 12yr, just the 7 yr. SR and 107 of the Weller brand. I am always wanting to try something different, and since the Cent. is hard to find, it is most appealing at the moment.....
    I can agree with you there, if it's hard to get, I want even more! I'll agree with Ben that the Weller 12 and the Centennial are close, although I detect a lot more fruit in the Centennial, specifically honeydew melon -- I have heard that the Centennial is Bernheim juice and that may account for it. As far as the VSOF is concerned, I have often described a roasted chestnut or toasted almond character in it and on the nose -- that may be what you're hunting for.....I've only had a few Stitzel-Weller bourbons, but I get a lot of nut in it, not so much the PVW 20 & 23, but in the younger stuff before the wood really permeates the flavor.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

    Andy

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. BHC Dusty Score
    By funknik in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 09:49
  2. Bhc
    By Phischy in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 12:05
  3. The mysterious 6th BHC member
    By mozilla in forum History
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 12:38
  4. #s On Bottles...
    By tmas in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 09:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top