Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Virginia Gentleman 90 proof

I just picked up two bottles of this bourbon tonight at Spec's in downtown Houston. I've actually been looking for it for some years but never could find it.

What should I expect as I drink it? Is it a respectable bourbon or should I have spent my money elsewhere? I usually find something I like about all the bourbons I buy, but perhaps others can tell me what they like about it. Thanks!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Virginia Gentleman 90 proof

I think you've done well. "The Fox", as the 90 proof is sometimes called, is a very enjoyable whiskey. One of the sweetest bourbons you'll find. I've had several bottles, and have liked all of them. BTW, if your bottles have a raised fox head molded into the glass, just above the label, you have somewhat of a "dusty". Enjoy, and tell us what you think!

Cheers!

JOE

Taster

Thanks, Joe. I opened the bottle this evening and smelled the whiskey and it certainly has a fruity nose to it. I am definitely going to enjoy this one.

Unfortunately, the bottle is not old enough to have the Fox above the front label, but I did notice that the rear label is signed by two gentlemen, one of whom is named Robert E. Lee IV.

If that's not a top endorsement, then I don't know what is!

Guru

I thought I recalled posting about "The Fox" a few years ago. Sure enough. A search turned up this thread, among several that I posted to -- in those long-ago days when I could drink whenever I felt like it.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

I didn't read through all of those old post, yet....but, I thought that VG was from the AA mashbill not the Weller mashbill. Linn lists it as wheated.

Anyone have the scoop on that?

Jeff Mo.

Administrator in exile

From memory, I believe that myth was debunked, but I can't recall when or by whom; Probably Ken Weber.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Taster

After sipping this one the past week, I've come to the conclusing that this is an imminently easy-drinking bourbon, perhaps one of the most approachable I've ever had. It doesn't demand your full attention while you're sipping, trying to find the words to describe the taste, because it just tastes rich and good--not complex, but not one-dimensional, either. Perhaps it's the lack of barrel char in the taste, but the fruit overwhelms the senses and kind of reminds me of a young grain brandy, instead of a whiskey, if that were possible (?).

Altogether, I like this bourbon very much. It makes a delicious summertime drink--I know a lot of folks find bourbon too "hot" during the summer, but for me bourbon is the perfect summertime drink because it just tastes right in the summer. And Virginia Gentleman is a great go-to bourbon due to its perfect all-around 90 proof (not too low, not too high) and wonderful bright taste. I'm going to keep this one around now that Old Charter 12 is no longer available.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by fitzharry View Post
    After sipping this one the past week, I've come to the conclusing that this is an imminently easy-drinking bourbon, perhaps one of the most approachable I've ever had. It doesn't demand your full attention while you're sipping, trying to find the words to describe the taste, because it just tastes rich and good--not complex, but not one-dimensional, either. Perhaps it's the lack of barrel char in the taste, but the fruit overwhelms the senses and kind of reminds me of a young grain brandy, instead of a whiskey, if that were possible (?).
    I think you have nailed it with these notes. I just opened a bottle and am sipping it now.

It is very approachable. I did not find the sweetness that others have mentioned. It reminds me of a toned down ETL. I agree, this is "not complex, but not one-dimensional." There is absolutely nothing offensive in this. The alcohol is present, but not overwhelming. The finish is next to nothing. What does stick around reminds me a whole lot of ETL - that sweet, yet full flavor.

I did not have very high hopes for this. I expect a decent pour, but nothing outstanding. I was impressed. I would buy this again. As Harry said, this is a great bourbon to sip on when you don't want to think about it.

Has anyone had the 80 proof version? It is only $10 here in KY.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

I thought the mash bill was the low rye bt, then it's shipped to va for final distillation, and stored in barells standing upright for aging.

Guru

Re: Virginia Gentleman [now] 80 Proof

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I think you have nailed it with these notes. I just opened a bottle and am sipping it now.

It is very approachable. I did not find the sweetness that others have mentioned. It reminds me of a toned down ETL. I agree, this is "not complex, but not one-dimensional." There is absolutely nothing offensive in this. The alcohol is present, but not overwhelming. The finish is next to nothing. What does stick around reminds me a whole lot of ETL - that sweet, yet full flavor.

I did not have very high hopes for this. I expect a decent pour, but nothing outstanding. I was impressed. I would buy this again. As Harry said, this is a great bourbon to sip on when you don't want to think about it.

Has anyone had the 80 proof version? It is only $10 here in KY.
    Here's a thread I contributed to long ago. And another.

And here's one regarding "The Fox".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 02-25-2009 at 22:48.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,