Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Smile NorthWest Greetings from Oregon

I'm very new to bourbon, but I'm an astute learner.

It all began this past April when I travelled to Tennessee to visit relatives I hadn't seen in 30 years. Cecil, a husband of one cousin in Hendersonville, introduced me to "evening sipping". A lot of fun sipping various whiskies. I had no idea so many Scotch whiskies stated with "Glen-something-or-other". My taste buds liked none of them. Jack Daniels was OK, Rare Breed was better, but my tastes really liked Dickel #12 - I even drove the back roads and visited the George Dickel distillery.

I should have bought more bourbon in Tennessee - there are a lot more labels available than in Oregon. You can check out what bourbons are available in Oregon at this link: http://www.olcc.state.or.us/pdfs/cat...price_list.pdf

The state of Washington is just across the river, but their selection isn't much better. The People's Republic of Kalifornia has a GREAT selection of bourbon - and they have the Van Winkle family of bourbon!

Anyway, on my return home I've sampled Gentleman Jack - not impressed; Knob Creek - I think this bourbon may be over rated, this is according to my taste buds; Elijah Craig - very well received by my taste buds; I have a bottle of Russel's Reserve on order for next Friday, but no body could tell me if it is the 90 or 101 proof. In the meantime, on a whim, I just grabbed a bottle of W.L. Weller Special Reserve - WOW!!! This is GOOD bourbon!!!

So I got on the internet and discovered that Weller is a "wheated" bourbon. Oregon brings in 4 wheated bourbons: Rebel Yell, Maker's Mark, Weller Special Reserve, and Old Weller Antique (I think these are all wheated bourbons). Washington also carries Cabin Still, Old Fitzgerald Prime, and 4 of the Van Winkle labels - but all state "supplier out of stock".

I'm 2 months new to bourbon and open to suggestions ..... like is there an internet seller of Van Winkle bourbon?

Someday I may make it down to the Liquor Barn in Redding, Ca. and find out if the Van Winkle bourbons are available.

Again, a big NorthWest Greetings from Oregon!
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3862&dateline=1216772  641 I love the smell of bourbon in the morning!

Guru

Re: NorthWest Greetings from Oregon

Scoooooooot.... Got to see you here... floating the sites I see... hit bourbonenthusiast.com as well...

and go to froogle.com and put in pappy van winkle.... you will find a few...

Disciple

Welcome to the board!

Cabin Still is nolonger a wheater.

If you are planning to drive all the way to another state for bourbon....do some research either on the net or ask some of your bourbon brothers in that city for some recommendations for stores that stock your intended products. You can also call stores or distributers to see what stock is available and where. There is also the options of having a certain bottle ordered. I have found that store managers are very happy to order items for future pick-up.

Good luck, and again welcome.

Jeff Mo.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I'm very new to bourbon, but I'm an astute learner.
    That's good to hear. This is the place for that.

Jack Daniels was OK, Rare Breed was better, but my tastes really liked Dickel #12 - I even drove the back roads and visited the George Dickel distillery.

I should have bought more bourbon in Tennessee - there are a lot more labels available than in Oregon. You can check out what bourbons are available in Oregon at this link: http://www.olcc.state.or.us/pdfs/cat...price_list.pdf
    I think I've seen that.

What you may find even more useful is the one for the coming month, usually posted around the 20th of the current month. This will show you what items are going up or down in price.

By the way, Daniels and Dickel make a big deal out of being labeled "Tennessee Whisk(e)y"; nowhere on the label will you find the word "bourbon". Although it's been argued that they could be labeled "bourbon" if they so chose, the fact is that they are not.

The state of Washington is just across the river, but their selection isn't much better. The People's Republic of Kalifornia has a GREAT selection of bourbon - and they have the Van Winkle family of bourbon!
    Van Winkle is available in Oregon, you just have to know where to look.

Oregon brings in 4 wheated bourbons: Rebel Yell, Maker's Mark, Weller Special Reserve, and Old Weller Antique (I think these are all wheated bourbons).
    Old Fitzgerald is also a wheated bourbon, and is available in Oregon.

I'm 2 months new to bourbon and open to suggestions ..... like is there an internet seller of Van Winkle bourbon?
    It is not legal for a commercial seller of distilled spirits to ship to a private customer in Oregon. All the big online stores (Binny's, K&L, etal) know this, and will not ship to you.

Someday I may make it down to the Liquor Barn in Redding, Ca. and find out if the Van Winkle bourbons are available.
    The 12yo Lot B, and the Pappy Van Winkle 15, 20 and 23yo expressions can be found here. I've not yet encountered the 10yo versions.

Again, a big NorthWest Greetings from Oregon!
    I expect you're in the Portland GMA, yes?

Anyway, welcome to SB.com.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    By the way, Daniels and Dickel make a big deal out of being labeled "Tennessee Whisk(e)y"
    Indeed they do!!!

Van Winkle is available in Oregon, you just have to know where to look.
    I must not be looking in the right places, at least not in Scappoose or St. Helens. OLCC doesn't have it on their regular order list, but they told me that any available spirit could be special ordered with a 2 case minimum purchase - such a deal.

Old Fitzgerald is also a wheated bourbon, and is available in Oregon.
    I'm going to have to venture into "The City" one of these days!

It is not legal for a commercial seller of distilled spirits to ship to a private customer in Oregon. All the big online stores (Binny's, K&L, etal) know this, and will not ship to you.
    I suspected that - always bad news for a positive thinker!

The 12yo Lot B, and the Pappy Van Winkle 15, 20 and 23yo expressions can be found here. I've not yet encountered the 10yo versions.
    I'm going to have to start telephoning some of the stores in PDX and find out what's available!

I expect you're in the Portland GMA, yes?

Anyway, welcome to SB.com.
    I'm a rural native Oregonian posted on Sauvie Island with Oregon Fish & Wildlife. Thanks for the invaluable information!
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3862&dateline=1216772  641 I love the smell of bourbon in the morning!

Irreverent One

OLCC doesn't have it on their regular order list, but they told me that any available spirit could be special ordered with a 2 case minimum purchase - such a deal.
    TWO!? I could swear it was one. Maybe they raised it.

$^*@#! OLCC!

I'm a rural native Oregonian posted on Sauvie Island with Oregon Fish & Wildlife.
    Which means you probably don't have a big budget for this.

Check out the "affordable bourbons and ryes for beginners" thread.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Scoots, Greetings and welcome to SB. Looks like some of the posts here have already started helping you out. The folks here are really good about that. Hope you enjoy it here. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Welcome! I'm originally from Idaho, about a half hour from Ontario, OR.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Pappy 15, 20, and 23 are usually in stock at the liquor store by the beaverton fred meyer off 217. I believe the owner said they are the 3rd largest store in terms of volume sold, thus are allocated more product. Good luck!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by B.Crow View Post
    Pappy 15, 20, and 23 are usually in stock at the liquor store by the beaverton fred meyer off 217. I believe the owner said they are the 3rd largest store in terms of volume sold, thus are allocated more product. Good luck!
    THANK YOU!!!

This is one of the stores that CorvallisCracker recommended. I hadn't gotten around to calling them, yet. I hate going into PDX, nearly all of my purchases are in Scappoose or St. Helens

FYI - none of the stores in North PDX carry any of the Van Winkle labels - not surprising, they all appear to be in the middle of a war zone! Store managers mentioned to me that their biggest sellers are the bargain basement brands!