Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Heading to Bardstown - What should I buy?

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be spending a couple of days in Bardstown in August. I'm looking for some suggestions on what bourbons to buy down there that I may not be able to find in Michigan. I like the heavier rye bourbons as opposed to the wheaters and will have $100 - $125 to spend for 3-4 bottles (hopefully). Any suggestions from the experts out there?

Thanks!

Mark

Disciple

Re: Heading to Bardstown - What should I buy?

If there is something special that you would like to find there.....call ahead to one of the local stores and request it. Give them at least a week to find it and get it shipped in. Also, Toddy's gives members of SB a discount.....so, check them out.

Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

Thanks Jeff! I'll look up Toddy's when I'm there.

Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Also, Toddy's gives members of SB a discount.....so, check them out.
    Gutherie might but the wife and daughter don't. Also for rare or sought after bottles he jacks up the price. Toddy's ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    Beware.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

Well, if you don't want to go there.....try Keystone Liquors....they are on the east side of town. Just a little north of HH on 245. The owner is very nice and will order items for ya. Don't know about a discount though.

Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Gutherie might but the wife and daughter don't. Also for rare or sought after bottles he jacks up the price. Toddy's ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    Beware.
    Joe
    Thanks Joe, I'll tread carefully when I'm there!

Mark

Disciple

If you coming down I-75 frm Michigan, check out Cork and Bottle (exit 192, just across the bridge from Cincy) and Party Source (471 south, first exit in Ky.) as well as Liquor Barn on Fern Valley, just off I-65 near the airport. These stores are bigger and have better selection and prices. My pick for a high rye bourbon? Four Roses single Barrel!

Thomas

Novice

Do try Rittenhouse Rye, 100 proof from Heaven Hill if you can find it. Arguably the best Kentucky as well as American rye.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Twillywhh View Post
    Do try Rittenhouse Rye, 100 proof from Heaven Hill if you can find it. Arguably the best Kentucky as well as American rye.
    RHR is made by/at Brown Foreman for HH. I would put it right up there with my favorite rye, Wild Turkey.

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Well, if you don't want to go there.....try Keystone Liquors....they are on the east side of town. Just a little north of HH on 245. The owner is very nice and will order items for ya. Don't know about a discount though.
    Mark, I took a short road trip to Bardstown today to check out the liquor stores there, since Penny is working this weekend. There are 4 in Bardstown and I would second mozilla's suggestion on Keystone Liquors.

3 out of the 4 are on 245. If you're getting off Exit 112 off I-65, the first you will come to on 245 is Royal Crest Liquors, just before you get to Bardstown (it's in a small shopping center with Hometown Pizza next door)
    Royal Crest has a decent selection but some pretty high prices.
    Next on 245 is just after you cross the intersection with 31E. That's Liquor World on the left at Salem Dr. It's owned by the same people who own Toddy's, but they have a little better prices.
    The best prices and selection are at Keystone...stay on 245 and it's about a mile from Liquor World on the right side of 245.
    Toddy's is on 4th and has a good selection, but prices are on the high side.

To give you a gauge of prices, I bought Pappy 15 at Keystone for 48.29.
    They had the lowest price on ORVW 10/107 at 29.99.
    Liquor World only had the 10/90 version...Toddy's ORVW 10/107 was 34.99 and Royal Crest had the highest on ORVW 10/107 at 39.99.

I would also say that ThomasH's selection of Four Roses Single Barrel is an excellent choice for a rye bourbon... If you can afford go higher, the Four Roses 120th is even better.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor