Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Another one from Ohio

I've been lurking for a few months now, trying to learn more about this fabulous beverage called Bourbon.

I'm a native Ohioan about to turn 29 next month. I'm a Process Server and Electronic Musician (Synths and Drum Machines baby!). I cut my teeth on Knob Creek and Maker's Mark in my early days of irresponsible, underage "experimentation". I don't even know why I preferred those brands ten years ago when I knew NOTHING about whisky. I can clearly remember not being fond of Crown Royal and Scotch etc. Even though I used to shoot my whiskey (with a Coke chaser), there was something about Bourbon that kept me coming back.

I used to mostly drink beer and wine but now that I'm a bit more "grown up" I've been trying a LOT more Bourbon in the past year. I even took the Heaven Hill and Maker's Mark tours on one of my weekend trips to KY. That made me even more fascinated and curious.

To give you an idea of where I'm at right now, I'll give you a list of stuff I've currently got on my shelf. Most of it I recently purchased in West Virginia a couple weeks ago. They've got a lot better selection than Ohio does.

WV purchases (haven't found them in OH yet and didn't even know most were from HH until I got back home to the internet):

Heaven Hill (Black Label)
    Henry McKenna
    Fighting Cock
    Old Whiskey River
    W.L. Weller Centennial 10 (from Louisville)

OH purchases:

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (05)
    Maker's Mark
    Jim Beam (Black Label)
    Knob Creek

I've got them all open (except the Louisville W.L. Weller which I'm saving for a special occasion because I've heard it's killer and out of production). So far I like almost every Bourbon I've tried but many aren't on my shelf now.

I'll list my favorites in order of price:

Henry McKenna
    Fighting Cock
    Jim Beam (Black Label)
    Maker's Mark
    Evan Williams (Single Barrel)
    Knob Creek

There's so many more I'd love to try, but pricing and availability are holding me back so far.

I'll be counting you all to give me guidance on my next trip to KY for my birthday dinner at Bourbon's Bistro!

Disciple

Re: Another one from Ohio

Welcome to the board!

Would have liked to call you by name but didn't see your profile filled out.

I think that you will have a great time at the Bourbon Bistro...make sure you bring an empty stomach. Their meals have been known to fill you up. They also have a great selection of bourbons...if you couldn't tell.

I see that you have tried many different bourbons so far. If budget is a concern...there are plenty of great pours below the $20 mark. I would say...buy something new and try it out....if it says KY. Straight Bourbon....you can't go wrong. KSBW has no colors, flavors, or GNS. Also, keep your eyes open for Bottled in Bond bourbons....they are usually a great value and are closer to the original barrel flavor than lower proof versions. Since you seem to like HH...they have many different labels available in Ky only.

Best of luck and I look forward to many new posts about your bourbon travels.

Jeff Mo.

Hello and welcome to SB. If you like bourbon, then this is the place to be. Speaking from experience, you're gonna have some fun, meet some awfully nice people, and learn a thing or two. Quite possibly all at the same time. Enjoy. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I've been scouring all my local stores but Ohio mostly has a crappy selection of Bourbon's because the state makes decisions for us (and it unfortunately isn't just relegated to liquor control).

I've yet to come across ANYTHING labeled B.I.B. but I've been looking hard.

Disciple

PE

the good news is....your a very short trip to the wide world of bourbon aka Kentucky. So, life can't be that bad. You also get the benefit of buying a year supply in one visit. Man that must be sweet.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    [snip] Man that must be sweet.
    J.M.,

Yes and no.

Back in 2004, shortly after moving into the boonies, I had occasion to drive to Houston, where I visited the Spec's on Smith. I knew it would be my last chance for a while to take advantage of good selection and low prices.

My biggest quandary was whether to stock up on favorites or to get single bottles of numerous bottlings I hadn't tried. I spent an hour selecting fewer than two dozen bottles, some of which made more than one round-trip from between shelf and basket.

The guy who helped me get it all into my car gave me three very surprised looks: one when he saw the extent of my purchases at the checkout, one when he saw the ratty car I was driving, and one when I slipped him a couple bucks. My wife was even more surprised when I returned to AZ not only with a pit bull, as planned, but enough liquor to get me pulled in for questioning in several states. But that's another topic.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,