Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Apprentice

OK, Missed this thread

Name is Paul, they call me Dunk. I am 61 years old and retired from the local PD after 34 years. I am a creature of habit and have drank Jack and coke all my adult ( and some juvenile) life. Ran out of Jack and a friend turned me on to some Makers Mark. Later I saw a TV show on How the Best is Made. It was all and only about bourbon. I watched it several times, wrote the names down as fast as I could and started doing some experimenting. While experimenting I spotted what the show said was the baest bourbon ever made. PVW 23. I spotted a bottle at a local liquor store and after asking what it was worth on this site and suggesting that I didn't know if I would drink it or sell it I caught Hoyl Hell from some members. You guys take this crap real serious Huh!! Oh well, live and learn. I now own about a dozen high to medium priced bottles and am still getting my tongue wet ( so to speak). I will be around reading and learning so if I screw up again, give me a little slack. I'm not as sharp as I once was but I'm still on this side of the turf!! Thanks for the welcome Mo and others.

Disciple

Re: OK, Missed this thread

That was a great post! Glad our sense of humor has not thrown you for a loop.

I spent some time in Northern Indiana as a boy. I miss the change of seasons that went on there. There are only two seasons here in Texas......nice and super hot.

How is the selection of bourbons in your area? Do you see many Barton or Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond labels?

Glad you finally gave up the Jack.

Jeff Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    ...How is the selection of bourbons in your area?...
    It ain't bad, in my experience -- the ONLY Hirsch 20s I've ever seen I purchased at CityWide downtown in South Bend (where my dad was born, by the way, some 84 years ago) in December 2004. I believe Old Commonwealth 10/107 also leaked from Chicago into the South Bend area, but I never found any.
    I'm one of the 'advisors' who suggested you drink that Pappy 23, and I hold by that with no guilt whatsoever. It won't take long for you to realize that the value most of us assign to a bourbon is primarily relative to how much we enjoy it. That's not to say we don't buy/sell/trade, but only after we have discerned our own, and others', enjoyment value.
    If we are 'collectors', it's mostly of taste memories. Frankly, we don't understand why that is offensive to some.
    Welcome, Paul, and never hesitate to tell us what you think. We don't.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    .... the value most of us assign to a bourbon is primarily relative to how much we enjoy it. That's not to say we don't buy/sell/trade, but only after we have discerned our own, and others', enjoyment value.
    True.

I have gladly let bottles go in trades for significantly less than what I paid for them. Shipping prices being what they are and the fact the some things have limited availability I often order two three or more of something in the gamble that I will like it. One bottle gets opened and the rest get traded.

I believe in hard to the core capitalism. But when it comes to good whiskey, I like to spread the joy.

Virtuoso

Welcome, Dunk !!!! That was quite a welcome the guys gave you on your first thread.

I'm glad you stuck it out !!!

I'm just a bit south of you. If you do any shopping in Indy, I will be glad to help !!!

Enjoy your stay !!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Advanced Taster

Dunk,

Welcome to SB. I'm new, too, and you and I have a few things in common, including age. I was a devoted JD drinker until I stumbled on to Maker's Mark, and then a Kentuckian gave me a bottle of PVW 20 and a few others. I've been buying whatever bourbon I can find here on the island of Hawaii, so my cabinet is full of bottles with one or two drinks taken out of them, and three or four bottles not yet sampled. I'm finding I like just about everything, but some more than others.

I participate in several other boards. SB is the most gentlemanly, and you'll find the members helpful and friendly.

Cheers!
    Mark

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by marco246 View Post
    Dunk,

Welcome to SB. I'm new, too, and you and I have a few things in common, including age. I was a devoted JD drinker until I stumbled on to Maker's Mark, and then a Kentuckian gave me a bottle of PVW 20 and a few others. I've been buying whatever bourbon I can find here on the island of Hawaii, so my cabinet is full of bottles with one or two drinks taken out of them, and three or four bottles not yet sampled. I'm finding I like just about everything, but some more than others.

I participate in several other boards. SB is the most gentlemanly, and you'll find the members helpful and friendly.

Cheers!
    Mark
    Sure glad I didn't start out on one of the other boards!

Apprentice

Birdman thanks for the welcome. I don't get South to much but I am hoping there aren't many bourbon drinkers up this way and I might find some of that older forgotten good stuff. Just have to learn how to identify it. got 3 names off this thread

Guru

Welcome Dunk... also glad you stayed though the ... er... tough time...

there are a coupel other boards that are just as easy going... you will find them over time as well... I split my time between them... all good folks.

Look forward to your ventures...

Disciple

There are many good threads on bottles to look for. Dan started this one, if you have not seen it yet.

Bottled in bond....carries 100 proof and minimum of 4 yrs of age, amoung some other guarentees. Bib was the old standard for good bourbon and rye.

Jeff Mo.