Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Trace

Virtuoso

Re: Buffalo Trace

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    I don't see how that's possible. I should probably go consult Genesis, but I'm pretty sure bourbon wasn't created until day eight or day nine.

Now that's funny!!

You can check,

Exodus
    Leviticus
    Numbers and
    Deuteronomy

and your still right Scott!!!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Thumbs up Re: Buffalo Trace

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Welcome Parker... the stock BT is not one of my normal drinkers, but the entire BT trace is great. Get some Stagg... that will put a smile on your face..
    Dont be alarmed.. but drinking Stagg straight.. might result in a black colored tounge..... the morning after.

But, I do like buffalo trace.. and expecially in the larger sized 1.75L bottle.

Apprentice

My wife and I both enjoy Buffalo Trace. It's one of the bourbons we like to sip neat on Saturday evening. The others include OGD114, Weller Antique 107, and EC12. All of these selections are available locally for between $21 and $23, and we consider them good values.
    Cheers to the makers of Buffalo Trace!
    Bill D.

Smart as an ox, strong as Einstein.

Novice

I must confess to never having tried BT. I've made a note to try and hunt down a bottle when I'm out and about, mail ordering would cost almost £30 which I gather is rather overpriced. Should really make the effort considering I intend to visit them next summer.
    "Always remember, I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." - Winston Churchill

Advanced Taster

Welcome aboard, Parker! I bought my first bottle of BT about a month ago, and I wasn't particularly impressed with my first 2 (or so) tastes. It has quickly grown on me, however, and has since edged its way onto my list of favorites (particularly "bargain" category favorites).
    Jay

Advanced Taster

I'm a big fan of BT! Not my normal sip but I do enjoy it.
    As he removed the cork from the bottle of bourbon, he threw it across the room and said, "we ain't gonna need that no more".

Advanced Taster

It's one of the world's great injustices: Buffalo Trace isn't available in New Jersey. Just about every other label from the BT distillery is, like Van Winkle, Stagg, Eagle Rare, Hancock, Elmer T Lee, etc, etc., all of which I enjoy. For reasons I don't understand, though, Buffalo Trace isn't carried anywhere in NJ. I have to go to PA to find it. That said, it's great stuff, arguably the best there is for its price.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

No, it's not the same, but Old Charter and Eagle Rare are the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace. Profiling (the good kind) is the reason two brands with the same mash bill and similar ages can taste different, but if I couldn't get BT I would consider the Eagle Rare single barrel (the 10-year-old) a pretty good alternative.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    but Old Charter and Eagle Rare are the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace.
    How about the mashbills for Eagle Rare Single barrel 10yo and the now long gone Eagle Rare 101? Same?
    And what was the original intent for the bourbon that they bottle for George T Stagg?
    ovh

Connoisseur

Oscar, my guess is that at least some of it would have been used to level out and maintain the profile of ER 10 and OC 12 year old & Proprietor's Reserve (both of the OC in particular has always tasted to me older than their age statements). By dropping the proof of the former and removing the latter pair, they've freed up more whiskey to charge us $50+ for.

I'm sure there was another purpose for some of it, of course, though the purpose all along may have been some sort of extra-aged or premium product.

Regards,
    Last edited by TBoner; 08-11-2008 at 13:51.