Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why wont Blantons Sell Its straight from the barrel Domestically?

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    ...the Blanton's label owned by someone other than BT...
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman View Post
    ...Perhaps BT doesn't want to use the shelf space for more than one Blanton's. I think all of us Blanton's lovers should let BT know how we feel.
    Age International, former -- but not current -- partner in what is now Buffalo Trace, owns the Blanton's brand. Thus, Blanton's is distributed when/where Age dictates.
    So, if you want to complain to someone, please complain to Age International. Complaining to BT will only cause undue consternation for people who have very often been very good to very many of us.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by chilidawg7 View Post
    here in Florida, I've never seen it for less than $40
    Thats Original b, not Gold b? Wow! Its worth it, but I always thought everyhing was always more expensive in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Age International, former -- but not current -- partner in what is now Buffalo Trace, owns the Blanton's brand. Thus, Blanton's is distributed when/where Age dictates.
    So, if you want to complain to someone, please complain to Age International. Complaining to BT will only cause undue consternation for people who have very often been very good to very many of us.
    I'm just going by the email I received. The import of that message was that BT produces Blanton's for Age and controls domestic distribution, but because of contractual arrangements, Age can only sell original Blanton's domestically. If that is correct, I would surmise that if BT wanted to allow the entire Blanton's line to be sold in the U.S., it could. I have no idea what led to this arrangement or whether Age or BT got the better deal. I doubt complaining will change anything, but if enough people asked for the other stuff over time, perhaps we might see it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Thats Original b, not Gold b? Wow! Its worth it, but I always thought everything was always more expensive in Japan.
    Yep, that's original. I went hunting today at 5 stores and the lowest price I saw on Blanton's was $39.99. Florida tends to be a little pricier than other places.
    ____
    Chris

Virtuoso

Blanton's is around $50 here in Houston.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Although they use the Age International corporate entity, the Blanton's brand is owned by Japan's Takara Shozu Ltd., which controls all aspects of its distribution and pricing. Buffalo Trace makes it and distributes it in the U.S., but Takara calls the shots.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Although they use the Age International corporate entity, the Blanton's brand is owned by Japan's Takara Shozu Ltd., which controls all aspects of its distribution and pricing. Buffalo Trace makes it and distributes it in the U.S., but Takara calls the shots.
    So does that mean, if for some reason they wanted to, Takara could transfer the making of the juice that goes into Blanton's to another distiller? Barring any contractural agreement that may be in effect at the time, of course.

JOE
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 07-16-2008 at 11:40.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Theoretically, yes, although there might be a disconnect with consumers since you can't transfer the historical connection between Albert Blanton himself and the distillery now known as Buffalo Trace. I also believe that Takara and Sazerac have a joint venture relationship that goes beyond Blanton's, but it's impossible to know the details since Sazerac is a private company.

Disciple

Hi all... checking in from Tokyo (where I coincidentally enjoyed a tasty pour of Blanton's Gold in the hotel bar last night!)

I had never been aware of the Age International aspect of the Blanton's/Buffalo Trace story, but it helps explain the wide variety of expressions available overseas (and also why Blanton's is such a popular "keep bottle" in bars here -- it was actually my gateway "premium" bourbon after a business trip to Kyoto.)

I used to feel like I got ripped off for seeking out one of the few "rare" Japanese bourbons that was more or less widely available in the States, but over time I decided at least I got a good deal -- $20-ish instead of the $40-ish common domestically. Now I can justify that it was a Japanese brand, just one that is "exported" to the US. (Four Roses seems the same to me these days...)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Advanced Taster

I just paid $40 for a bottle here in Hawaii a few days ago. From the dust on the boxes it appears not to be a fast mover. As far as I can tell, Blanton's is the only BT whiskey sold on this island.