Yellowstone Bourbon

cornsqueezins
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Could someone please provide me with some recent background information on Yellowstone Bourbon? From existing threads, I understand that Barton owned the product at one time. I've noticed that Yellowstone bourbon is now listed as an "Other Brand" under the brand portfolio at the David Sherman Corp. web site. I'm assuming that DSC does not distill spirits. Does Barton produce Yellowstone for DSC?

I recently purchased a small bottle of Yellowstone (white label, 80 proof) more from curiosity than anything else. I found the nose to be surprisingly sweet and rich....actually reminiscent of George Dickel No. 12. The sweetness didn't follow over into the taste as well as I had hoped. The taste was sweet initially but contained some medicinal elments with a noticeable leather/ash aftertaste that wasn't bad but also wasn't very inspiring. I didn't exactly do any serious tastings of this bourbon (simply had it straight from a half-pint bottle) so the experience I had might differ considerably from that of others. What are some of the other forum members' opinions on this bourbon?

Thanks,

Troy

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Troy here's what I can tell you of Yellowstone. J.B. Dant (son of J.W.) teamed up with D.H. Taylor and J.T. Williams to found the Yellowstone Distillery and bottle Yellowstone (named after the national park) bourbon sometime in the 1880's. Glenmore bought the distillery in 1944. U.D.V. (now Diageo) bought Glenmore in the early 1990's and promptly shut it down and sold off the Ezra Brooks and Yellowstone brands. David Sherman owns them both now. When I bought my first and last bottle of Yellowstone last year for $9 it tasted a lot like young Heaven Hill whiskey. I do not believe that it is Barton bourbon in that bottle. Do a blind tast test between Yellowstone; Ten High (Barton) and the very cheapest Heaven Hill product you can buy. Then report back with your results. They should be quite interesting.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The only problem is finding some more Yellowstone since I haven't seen it around locally.

I purchased that half-pint bottle in Yellowstone national park of all places. Not that I was so desperate for Yellowstone bourbon that I would travel to Wyoming! I had actually forgot that that particular brand even existed until I ran across it while on vacation. The Yellowstone folks sell it at all of their park general stores and it was dirt cheap. I figured what the heck and, like a dumb tourist, grabbed me up a small bottle for a taste. Should've bought a few more...famous last words. grin.gif

-Troy

Is an Illinois retailer allowed to ship to you?

If so, Sam's will sell you a case for just under $90 plus shipping.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Horseshit Troy! Twist that wick and bust a trail north. You could be shopping in Kentucky with in two or three hours time. Or one hour astride a Harley-Davidson V-ROD!Get on it and stroll on up to Kentucky! I expect to see you at Bobby's cook out.You too Tim! Just hop on I-65 and twist that wick! Dammit Gents other than the Bourbonians that actually live in Kentucky you two are the closest forum members. It's damn near five hundred miles for me to get there. Hell! Omar's driving up from Miami! Two days hard drivin'! I expect to see you both there and don't you dare whimp out!

C'mon Guys It Be Fun (it a 289 mile, 6 hour drive for us!) the more the merrier you know. . .

TomC

We must have stepped through a bung hole into another dimension. I thought we were discussing Yellowstone bourbon instead of the bourbon festival. But while we're on the subject....

Yep, dear ol' Kentucky is just a few hills over from the homeplace (Bardstown is about a 4 hour drive which ain't too bad). But I have neither the time, the funds or the vacation leave to make it this year....which sucks because I went last year but didn't really know anybody. Call me a wuss, but I'll try to be around for the next one grin.gif ! Those distillery tours and tastings sound just too awesome to bypass for very long.

Oh yeah, it really is prohibitive in these parts. Unless you're a manufacturer, licensed wholesaler or a DoD agency, you cannot order any alcoholic beverages (online or otherwise) and have them imported or delivered into Tenn. To do so would be a class E felony. frown.gif Is anybody else's state this strict? Makes a man wanna cry....

-Troy

KY is the same way. The line is that we are preventing some 16yo from planning 2 weeks in advance for a party and ordering in the booze. Hell, at 16 I didn't know where I would be partying in 2 hours let alone far enough in advance to order in. In reality it is the distributors lobbying and lost tax revenue that stops the mail order business. Not really a big deal for bourbon as it is everywhere in KY, but if you want to find a nice cabernet from a small California winery you better be ready for a long drive.

Everything goes here in Nevada right? Nope. I ordered a private (Cadenhead) bottling of bourbon from Europe this past week. I got a call from the shipper asking me for my liquor license or import permit number... frown.gif

If I ever get it I will post my tasting notes.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal (I saw it on Wednesday, but I'm not positive that it was Wed's issue) that was talking about this issue in depth. There are several court cases that seem to be leaning toward invalidating these laws based on unfair restriction of interstate commerce (which they plainly are). The article further opined that the issue will probably end up in the U S Supreme Court.

I specifically remember that New York is a state with very restrictive laws.

Tim

I ran across an interesting website that gives the latest details on many of these court cases that you were talking about Tim. Theres also a color-coded US map that breaks down each state's legal status on direct shipping.

The website is run by a group called "Free the Grapes" which is a cooperative effort between several wine associations and the Coalition for Free Trade.

The map is at:

http://www.freethegrapes.org/wine_lovers.html#laws

I would hope that even though most of this website is laid out from a wine retailers' perspective that the legal processes are taking into account all alcoholic beverages.

I wonder if the bourbon industry has had much say in this matter?

-Troy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.