Your favourite Bourbon bar Version 2 >

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My favorite is still the Seelbach iHotel n Louisville. The places oozes history and the bartenders are not only knowledgable but can mix a righteous mamnhattan.

And, besides a Manhattan, I imagine that they also make the wonderful Seelbach Cocktail. I first read about this cocktail in Imbibe Magazine last month in a great story written by Seattle's own Jamie Boudreau, of Spirits and Cocktails fame. He did the cover story about his travels around Bourbon County, and he included that cocktail in the article.

Here it is for anyone interested:

SEELBACH COCKTAIL

1 oz bourbon

½ oz Cointreau

7 dashes Angostura bitters

7 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

stir all briefly over ice

strain into a Champagne glass

top with Champagne

garnish with a lemon twist

The first time I had that cocktail, it was at the Teardrop Lounge in Portland, Oregon. I was happily amazed to see that 14 dashes of bitters results in such a tasty drink.

While we're talking about bars - I would like to give a shout-out to Teardrop. They make over 60 of their own bitters, tinctures, liqueurs and mixers. Outstanding. They are way ahead of the trend where bars will create their own cocktail ingredients. Sure - a lot of bars do that, but I am unaware of any that do this on the scale of Teardrop.

And, since we're still talking about bars, I am happily living in Seattle, Washington where we have a number of great bars that have outstanding whiskey.

To start off - if you're in Seattle, you must stop by Zig Zag. Zig Zag is simply an outstanding bar, one of America's best - and they have very envious whiskey and almost unmatched cocktail lists.

Another great whiskey bar in Seattle is Vessel. They have less whiskey than Zig Zag, but what they have is outstanding. The fellow that wrote the Whiskey Trail article in Imbibe, Jamie Boudreau, is the bartender that opened and developed the bar's reputation - a reputation that the current bartenders are keeping alive.

Lastly, when in Seattle - I'd of course have to suggest Liberty. We're a classic cocktail bar that loves American Whiskey. We have over 35 bourbons at any one time (that's a lot for us Left Coasters), 20 ryes and whole bunch of the harder classifyables.

In case you're interested, here's a rye cocktail to try out that we came up with:

BARDSTOWN COCKTAIL

1.75 oz Rittenhouse 100proof Rye

1oz Laird's Applejack

½ oz Cointreau

2 dashes Angostaura’s bitters

2 dashes Orange bitters

Add over ice in mixing glass, stir.

strain into a coktail glass

Garnish with orange twist

I'm looking forward to travelling and being able to visit many of the bars listed here. Until then, see you at Liberty.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, i just browsed it online, it looks impressive and as you say, historical and full of character. I viewed their gallery and found this image with some knob and EC12 in the background. :grin:

Why are they drinking a glass of white wine and a glass of coke at a Whiskey Bar in Louisville?:skep:

Why are they drinking a glass of white wine and a glass of coke at a Whiskey Bar in Louisville?:skep:

Lets imagine the gent has a tall bourbon and coke and the lady has a mint julip. :skep::grin:

Lets imagine the gent has a tall bourbon and coke and the lady has a mint julip. :skep::grin:

Sorry Julep is the correct spelling i think... :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.