Old Whiskey River...

Aahzz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is anyone but me absolutely in love with this Bourbon? I'm a recent convert to Bourbon, reformed Scotch drinker (sorry to mention a bad word, won't happen again!). Started with Knob Creek (love it), moved to Woodford Reserve (don't care for it), but I keep coming back to the Old Whiskey River! Nicely complex, good balance of sweet and spice, and extremely smooth. Now I'm looking for other Bourbons that'd be somewhat similar - recommendations?

Welcome aboard Aahzz, Boone will be happy about your liking Old Whiskey River since it comes from the "Hill" I haven't tried it yet so I'm no help there , but guess what I think you've piqued my interest. I'm going out on a limb here and will suggest Elijah Craig 12 Year Old It's top shelf bourbon in my opinion with a middle shelf price ( at least for now) We get it here in Ky for 16.99 a 750ml. 2 years ago it was 14.99

Elijah Craig goes for abut $19 here in CT...I gotta move off the East Coast! (I'm originally a Southern Ohio boy). I was just looking at it at lunch, and ended up deciding to buy yet another bottle of OWR (ran out last night). ALmost picked up some Basil Hayden's...decisions, decisions....

I haven't tried the Basil Haydens' but if you search this forum on it you will see it's not thought highly of. If I ever try it it will either be an airline bottle or I will go to Jim beam outpost and get a free drink of it. It is the same mashbill as Old Granddad which has the highest percentage of rye for a Bourbon. But hey you might like it and that would be fine! grin.gif

Well, you could certainly work your way through the other Heaven Hill brands (Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna, etc., etc.). That should keep you busy for a while.

I wasn't that excited about trying Whiskey River, it being just another bottling of Heaven Hill whiskey, but it's pretty good. It has a nice caramel quality that I like.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.