Drinking Bourbon in Bars

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recently I was in a bar that hosts a blues jam. I wanted bourbon. The entire selection consisted of Jim Beam white, Knob Creek, and some nondescript well bourbon.

At another blues club that I frequent, their top American whiskies are WT 101 and JD Single Barrel.

Then there are bars like this one. (How can they make money on A.H. Hirsch 16 y/o at that price?)

How many of you have access to a bar that offers a significant selection of bourbon?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I don't frequent bars..... I make a lot of shirts for them laugh.gif and drop them off.....I always check their selection grin.gif Around here you get a very good selection of bourbon grin.gif .......but on the Belle of Louisville (Steamboat) I attended a huge party this past spring.....I went to the bar to check out what they had........nearly blew me away.....all they had was Jim Beam white and Makers Mark.......that was it mad.gif ........Sooooooooooooooo I order my Bud then another and another etc...........then Pat had ta damn near carry me off the boat blush.gif .........I had a really good time grin.gif ........

Bettye Jo

Re: Parties at unfamiliar locales

Two words: "hip flask".

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I almost never go to bars except when I am out of town. But I can tell you about a great one in Atlanta! Pappy 20-yr was $11. Rock Hill Farms was $6.25. I don't remember the other prices.

Tim

I don't generally go to bars anymore (life with an infant daughter). I was, however, at a wedding this weekend that had a rather poor choice in their otherwise well-stocked bar. Beam White or Old Granddad (the 86 proof variety). Also, they refused to serve it neat, which annoyed the hell out of me. Only served in a glass FULL of ice......

I almost always check the bourbon selection (as well as the tequila selection, which is usually even worse) in a bar. Most of the bars I would go into locally carry several bourbons and usually (because it is a college town and many students have Daddy's credit card) carry some quality bourbons.

Most here carry two to four Beam Small batch, plus Makers, plus Buffalo Trace. I know the managers or owners of several bars locally. Some bars only carry what "sells." That tranlates to "what sells frequently" so they are not wasting money on inventory and shelf space. Some are a bit different (wiser in my opinion) and carry some products to satisfy that occaissional customer who wants to impress someone by ordering something out of the ordinary and expensive.

I talked to a barkeeper in Covington, KY last week and suggested they carry Van Winkle products (at least one) as a chance to 'upsell' to guests who want the unusual.

Yet, when I travel I am often amazed to find only Beam White, maybe Turkey, and maybe Makers plus a well whiskey in a bar.

I've found that the best selection of good bourbon from here to the Pecos is at expensive hotel bars and at good restaurants/steak houses that cater to businessmen. If you see an 'oilmans special' on the menu, you're all set.

Your sports bars, titty bars and beer & shot bars around here usually stock Beam White, Knob Creek, Makers (and JD) and some 'well' bottles. Anyplace where you go regularly will carry anything you ask the barkeep for (assuming you tip well).

NOTE this rural exception: Eagles Clubs, VFW's and other fraternal orgs. that support a cash bar may have a surprising assortment of bourbon selections behind the bar.

Moral of the story? If your buddy lost a bet and he owes you a drink, have him meet you at the Ritz. smirk.gif

What a great whiskey list...fine bourbons, excellent choice of Irish..Middletons is rare, Scotch..Macallan's (my favorite) 18 yr etc. What a taste treat at very good prices....compared to $9-10+ at many bars around Chicago area...if you can find a fraction of that list to boot! laugh.gif

I guess I do now since Ann Arbor is only about a half hour away! You must have been at the Blues festival or something. Thanks for the link.

Winslow

Here in Lexington the problem is not so bad. Most mid-to-upscale restaraunts will have:Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 80 & 101, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek and a few others. It is actually more difficult to find the bottom shelf brands when dining out. A few of our finer establishments will also carry the likes of Blanton's, Booker's, Baker's and Rare Breed. Desha's downtown even carries Pappy Van Winkle 20yo for around $10/glass. blush.gif

• 3 months later...

I attended a wedding Charlotte 8 months ago that started well (-real- NC barbecue for the rehearsal dinner) but ended bad...

the closest thing to whisky of any sort they had at the reception was Southern Comfort!

Gin and Tonic, at least the bottle said it was gin, tasted more like vodka mixed with pine sol...

ph0rk,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

real- NC barbecue for the rehearsal dinner

Are you talking about Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill on Hwy 86? If so, great place! smile.gif I love the q there. The bad part is, I have to watch my sugar intake, so all the glorious fixings and delicious home made pies are a no-no for me. frown.gif

To avoid sugar at home, I eat pork rinds as a snack. Last spring, we went to A&S for lunch. We saw a sign by the register that said "Pork Rind, $1.00". One of the good ol boys eating with us said you can't beat fresh fried pork rind as he had tasted it at county fairs. So, I ordered a bag to go. Guess what was in the bag? A pork rind, not rinds. Yep, a hunk of pig skin, not fried. To avoid embarrasment, I didn't say anything. I took it home to give to the dogs. blush.gif

P.S. Pork rinds (the fried kind in a bag) aren't a good companion to bourbon. Better stick to the Pepsi (er, Diet Pepsi) to wash them down.

Chuck,

I apologize, I missed this post earlier.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Are you talking about Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill on Hwy 86? If so, great place!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.