Old Tub

ThomasW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone know who owns the Old Tub brand today ?

I understand that Jim Beam lost the rights to the name after prohibition.

Wouldn't that be a great name to reintroduce ?

Has anyone on this site tasted the brand ?

This thread http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15722&postcount=1 goes way back into the early days of Old Tub...

Does anyone know who owns the Old Tub brand today ?

I understand that Jim Beam lost the rights to the name after prohibition.

Wouldn't that be a great name to reintroduce ?

Has anyone on this site tasted the brand ?

Was that from a book? What great info.

Barreled at 101 proof is very interesting. Did any of your info help decifer the mashbill?

Thanks.

Not a book. Sorta like a big newspaper. It's called "The Record". What I posted is complete. There is nothing more with the exception of the pictures or drawings.

This man did stories on every distillery around. I have referred to this one (The Record) to try to find the exact location (now)...Low and behold the property is now owned by Heaven Hill.

Was that from a book? What great info.

Barreled at 101 proof is very interesting. Did any of your info help decider the mashbill?

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. BettyeJo.

Joe :usflag:

You are most welcome, Joe! :grin: :grin: :grin:

The story is that after Prohibition there were some problems with the Old Tub name so they didn't sweat it and came up with Jim Beam instead. Obviously, it was being sold by someone out of a consolidation warehouse, because that's how all of these trademark disputes originated. The most famous one was probably George Dickel, which was claimed by Stitzel-Weller. If we knew what consolidation warehouse sold Old Tub we could chart its course, although there is a good chance it was American Medicinal Spirits, which became National Distillers, which Beam bought in 1987.

Whether or not that event restored undisputed ownership of Old Tub to the Beam company, I suspect that if Beam wanted to resurrect the Old Tub brand they would face no serious impediments.

After viewing the film they show at the Beam distillery, my buddy, who's in advertising, commented that the brand name "Old Tub" would be an almost impossible sell. Maybe the good folks at Beam know something that us fools for bourbon don't.

-Mike

After viewing the film they show at the Beam distillery, my buddy, who's in advertising, commented that the brand name "Old Tub" would be an almost impossible sell. Maybe the good folks at Beam know something that us fools for bourbon don't.

-Mike

Hi Mike :)

I never thought about the brand name Old Tub from a different point of view...Does kinda make ya think that it would be made in a. 0ld wash tub .

When I hear the word "Tub" instinctively I relate to the cypress mash tubs that we "used" to have at the distillery (below the hill--DSP 31 before the fire)...

Those tubs still serve Heaven Hill :) but in a different life (so to speak) :) They took what was left of those Tubs and made the bar (counter) top in the Barrel tasting room at the Bourbon Heritage Center.

About a year ago that bar top started to crack...real bad :) Although the wood was cleaned and properly treated to create the counter...they assume it was "still working" :) When it's finished..they plan to "re-seal" it..as is :)

Bettye Jo

The story is that after Prohibition there were some problems with the Old Tub name so they didn't sweat it and came up with Jim Beam instead. Obviously, it was being sold by someone out of a consolidation warehouse, because that's how all of these trademark disputes originated. The most famous one was probably George Dickel, which was claimed by Stitzel-Weller. If we knew what consolidation warehouse sold Old Tub we could chart its course, although there is a good chance it was American Medicinal Spirits, which became National Distillers, which Beam bought in 1987.

Whether or not that event restored undisputed ownership of Old Tub to the Beam company, I suspect that if Beam wanted to resurrect the Old Tub brand they would face no serious impediments.

Many thanks, Chuck !

Mashes were originally made, by definition on a small scale, in small vessels, made of wood as BJ said, called tubs. That is the (ultimate) origin of the name.

Gary

Mashes were originally made, by definition on a small scale, in small vessels, made of wood as BJ said, called tubs. That is the (ultimate) origin of the name.

Gary

That's probably true, but it may also refer to the primitive distilling practice of using an old metal wash tube as a still, specifically as the pot, with a heavy blanket used as the still head.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.