Why don't you like Maker's Mark?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

During the 3 weeks or so I have been assosiated with this group I have come to the conclusion that the majority of it's members hold Maker's Mark in low esteem. What exactly is it about MM that would make you choose beer? I happen to have an affection for MM. Maybe it is because it is the first bourbon I got hooked on, maybe it is because I am a card carrying MM ambassador, maybe I am just CRAZY ooo.gif Is it that most of you don't like wheated bourbons? Or is it something else? DO TELL!

I compared it to Evan Williams Single Barrel. I think you read my post of 8-23, which was a reply to Tom's tasting. What is this "wheated" reference all about? The first time I tried EWSB I went nuts! It had what I called a kind of cherry, nutty taste. Now when I drink it the taste I pick up is caramel. I just bought a bottle of plain old EW 7 year old for nine bucks. I have to say I'm really enjoying it. A bit thin, but tasty never the less. And seven years old. My 107 proof Bakers is seven years old. It's way more complex and big bodied. Go figure. An yet I'm not real fond of Beam white or black.

I've been wanting to try some rye and all they had at my local supermarket was Beam in that yellow label. Now this was real good. Very smooth. I bought it for mixing with Stewart's ginger beer. Of course, I sampled it uncut, and I think it has some similarities to Evan Williams and Maker's Mark. On a very general scale, of course. It's just that lighter taste. Perhaps that's a shortcoming to some along with its Yuppie associations.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff I don't like Maker's Mark for three reasons: 1) It's way overpriced. 2) While MM has a nice nose the flavor just isn't there - very astringent & septic, 3) The finish is rough and so dry as to be parched - one of the worst. I just don't like it. I used to bash MM at every opportunity mainly because it reminds me more of sc**ch rather than bourbon. I quit doing that because I have nothing against Bill Samuels Jr. or the people at Maker's Mark, or the conusmer's of his whiskey.

I drank Maker's Mark for many years. It was better than several of the things I used to drink, but those were very cheap and bad whiskies. When I started my serious quest to taste and compare many bourbons (about 15 months ago), I still drank and enjoyed Maker's.

But, after tasting the likes of Elijah Craig 12-yr, Wild Turkey 101, and Knob Creek, going back and re-tasting Maker's was a bad experience. Like Linn said, it is harsh and it doesn't have very much flavor, especially considering its fairly high price.

I feel like I was taken in by their marketing about 25 years ago and I stuck with it that long because I believed in what they were saying. I bought it because they said it was good, then I kept buying it because that was what I thought good bourbon tastes like. But, when I opened my mind and tried other things, I discovered that I really don't care that much for Maker's, after all.

The bottom line though, is that if YOU enjoy Maker's after comparing it to a variety of others, then by all means you should continue to drink and enjoy it. Everyone here do not totally agree on anything. Your tastes and opinions are valued. Stick by them.

Tim

Jeff, in my opinion, MM is a good standard wheated bourbon and I don't mind having a little from time to time. But I'd have to agree with Linn and Tim that it seems a little high priced especially considering it's lack of flavor and character.

But every so often I don't mind a bourbon that's smooth and carries a more simplistic taste profile. That's sort of how MM strikes me. I like the buttery, honey characteristics in it.

I guess I would personally rank it as a low to middle shelf bourbon in my cabinet. Not a favorite...not even what I would consider a daily pour...but there waiting for a camping trip or as a notion hits me.

-Troy

Even though your question seemed directed toward people who had expressed disatisfaction with Maker's, I thought you might also like to hear from someone else who is fond of it.

I have loved whisky since I was (almost) old enough to drink, yet bourbon was my least favorate of whiskies. blush.gif It was wheaters like MM and Weller' which really turned me on to bourbon about six years ago. wink.gif I was amazed at how great they tasted. tongue.gif Although I preferred wheaters, I then also fell in love with other top bourbons like Evan Williams vintages and Kentucky Spirit. For a couple years, half of my bourbons were wheaters. Though I would no longer say I prefer wheaters (I like them all), even this past year while trying to determine my favorate bourbon, I ended up with MM 101 proof! shocked.gif

I don't keep the standard MM at my home for the same reason I don't keep Knob Creek. To often when I'm out, bars have nothing I'm particularly interested in trying, yet they will usually have MM or KC. That way I can have something I know I like without thinking, "Well I have this at home." laugh.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John that is just like wives and whiskey. When you go out you'd rather have something different. Older whiskey and younger women. You'd rather have a little something that puts a BIG YAHOOOOOO! in your life. Bourbon is just one of the special things that does it. Only pussy is better than bourbon. The older you get => the less this is true. shocked.gif

Jeff,

I've usually got MM around here, it's the favorite drink of a few of my pals and I like to be hospitable when they stop by. I find it a poor QPR* choice for my own pour, I can find bourbon I prefer for less money (Old Fitz 1849, David Nicholson 1843, EC12, Eagle Rare, Old Grand-dad BIB, etc...)

Winslow,

We call Makers and Old Wellers and other bourbons 'Wheaters' because they're made with a lot of wheat mixed with the corn in their mash bill. This makes for a smooth bourbon, but many of us prefer the spicey 'bite' and fine taste that rye brings. Compare a drink of rye-spicy Old Grand-dad BIB with a drink of one of these Wheaters to find out if you prefer 'wheaters' or 'rye spice'.

*QPR=Quality/Price ratio

We bourbon enthusiasts are like any other enthusiasts. As cognoscenti, we seek the esoteric. How smart can we be if we agree with the marketplace?

Like at least one other responder, I don't often bring the leading mainstream brands home because that's what I drink when I go out. More often than not, my best choices are Wild Turkey and Maker's Mark. In those cases, I choose Maker's as often as not.

"cognoscenti

Now there's a word I don't use every day "

is that the "official Straight Bourbon Vocabulary Word Of the week", cause I have seen it 4 times now!!

TomC

Two things:

1) I agree about the price, I would enjoy MM much more if it werent so Damn $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! why pay for that when I could get TWO bottles of AAA 10 year for the same price (yummy!).

2) how exactly do you know what "septic" tastes like. . . . . . . crazy.gifblush.gifshocked.gif

TomC

I am just guessing, but I think he probably meant "antiseptic", e.g., something like Listerine. Septic would mean something more like poop. I have never tasted anything poopy in any whiskey.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.