BOTM, 11/08: Four Roses Small Batch

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I suppose I'm just not a fan of gentle, soft drams.

While I don't have extended experience with FR, I'd have to argue that this is probably the house characteristic of their whiskey, or at least bottle expressions. I wouldn't call them gentle, but more like very well-rounded.

In some ways I enjoyed the Small Batch I recently finished more than the Single Barrel for the reason that the vatting of the former struck a nice balance, where the SB, while still a worthy bourbon, had some (expected) one-sided qualities.

Shoshani, have you tried any other bottles of theirs? (Also, how can you be member #8 and have so few posts? Just curious.)

Shoshani, have you tried any other bottles of theirs? (Also, how can you be member #8 and have so few posts? Just curious.)

I did try their everyday 80 proof expression a few years ago, back when someone had to bring it to me from their road trip to Kentucky. :) This was long enough ago that it does not stick out in my memory...unlike 12 YO Wild Turkey which I miss.

I have few posts because I had long spells where I wasn't able to be on any of my discussion boards due to heavy work loads. I think I've posted more in the last two months here than I did for the entire period I'd been on here prior to two months ago. :)

• 2 weeks later...

While I've not yet tasted the small batch I do believe the single barrel is very good in a cup of coffee.

Let me also say I normally do not put anything in my coffee or in my bourbon, especially not in my bourbon.

something came over me one day and long story short I encourage all to try a shot of FRSB in their coffee.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding that FRSB is growing on me of late; I like it much better than I did when I first opened the bottle.

The level of the whiskey is just about to the top of the label; the only thing I can guess is that the air exposure in the bottle brought out some subtleties that were hiding. Either that, or perception of whiskey tastes is ever-changing, and if one decides that one doesn't care for a particular whiskey one should just set it aside and try it a couple of weeks later...

if one decides that one doesn't care for a particular whiskey one should just set it aside and try it a couple of weeks later...

Very wise words.

Very wise words.

I concur. My wife and I have some whiskey every night before supper (last night RR Rye). I have found that numerous factors affect our appreciation of our drink. What did I have for lunch? What is my wife preparing for supper? What did I do this afternoon? What is the climate and how do I feel? Last night (winter) preceding BBQ ribs and beans, RR Rye did wonders for the pallet and the throat. On a hot summer night preceding a chefs salad or gazpacho, I think I'd rather have something less spicy, (caveat coming) however if I had been out cutting wood or bush hogging all day, it night fill the bill just right.

• 1 month later...

The jury's still out on this one for me. It's a little too floral which translates to a little too bitter at times....I like it as a nightcap, when my tastebuds are a little rundown, but it's too sharp & pungent for my early in the day. I don't think I would buy this again -- I'm having a hard time making it through the bottle. In contrast, I like the 4R1B quite a bit.

I don't think floral is the correct description of 4RSmB.

It reminds me of yeast that could have been shared with Dickel, if that makes any sense.

If you want to taste floral get some 4R Mariage, good floral, it is a very surprising bourbon.

I need to try some of yours. The one I had was bland with a nasty finish...

I'm not a big fan. Although the 120th Anniversary was really good. BB

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!