Do you have it?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a number 11 to add to this list.

11. Do you spend more than 3 minutes deciding on what bottle from your stash you're going to have a pour from?

Joe

Questions to ask yourself to determine if you have Whiskirexia Nervosa:

Ohh... what Fun... I love tests

1. Do you have a better whiskey collection than most restaurants and bars in your city? state? country?

Yes 1 for 1

2. Do you have bottles stored in the bedroom? the bathroom? the kids' room(s)?

If I may add "or do you have a special room make to store your stash"

I think the latter might be worse, but that is a 2 for 2 (assuming the change is acceptable) :D

3. Do your local liquor store owners/staff know you by name?

Not in Tucson (there is no selection), but I do in Westboro Mass and Binny's Chicago, as well as a few staff members at 5-6 other spots- that should count right :D

3 for 3

4. Do you have on-line liquor stores bookmarked?

Yes. 4 for 4

5. Have you ever missed work to ensure you're home to sign for a parcel that requires an adult signature?

No, my wife or my neighbor will sign for me - I had to develop a staff of helpers :lol: - this should probably count, but time for a miss :rolleyes:

4 for 5

6. If you leave a liquor store empty-handed do you feel disappointed? Panicky? Do you develop a rash?

I do feel disappointed - very empty

5 for 6

7. Do you have a written inventory of your bottles? When someone comes over for a drink, do you offer them a printed list?

None written down at all. I might be scarier, but I have all of them memorized including where they are located on the shelves and box.

5 for 7

8. When traveling, do you visit liquor stores just in case they have something you can't find at home?

err... big time

6 for 8

9. Do you spend more time buying whiskey than drinking it?

Well, I usually drik while I am looking, but do not always look while I am drinking

6 for 9

10. Have you ever considered opening a bar, just with the stock you currently own?

For a moment, but mostly to get the wholesale discount :D

7 for 10

11. Do you spend more than 3 minutes deciding on what bottle from your stash you're going to have a pour from?

Sometimes longer while I enjoy reorganizing them again for fun

8 for 11

I also think one to make it more realistic for Barturtle two more are required. These will put you into 5 easy there Timothy... and they are fair questions

12. Have you moved closer to the motherland to get a better selection or do you spend your "off" time in Kentucky?

No for me - but that is why I know all the best liquor store owners

8 for 12

and

13. Do you have more bottles bunkered than you can remember - requireing a list

Nope... but I can store a lot of usless information.... :D

and one more

Do you ever have host Bourbon themed gatherings with bourbon games?

Not yet, but I am planning on it ... so another miss - 8 for 14

8 for 14... so.. a solid case here indeed.... but there is room for growth :slappin:

12. Have you moved closer to the motherland to get a better selection or do you spend your "off" time in Kentucky?

This one is not accurate, I have actually never moved out of Kentucky for anything other than school, so my State-of-Residence has never changed. So that would still be a negative. Going home is a tradition for college students when school is out.

13. Do you have more bottles bunkered than you can remember - requiring a list?

I can't remember most things without writing them down, including my mothers' phone number and birthday...I wouldn't consider a poor memory as being indicative of a clinical disorder.

Do you ever have host Bourbon themed gatherings with bourbon games?

Not really...I have played tour guide for a few fellow Bourbonites, but I was not the one who organized the event.

I'll add in Joe's too:

Nope, I keep few enough bottles open at any one time as to avoid that problem.

Since we are up to 14 questions now, you would need to increase the number of required positive answers to increase as well, to 7...since my number of affirmative answers hasn't increased, I'm actually swinging toward an even more normal diagnosis than all you mental cases.:grin:

Looks like I'm just a normal, well-adjusted, non-OCD whiskey collector/drinker.:grin:

I seem to have noticed something that may be a contributing factor: most of you poor, afflicted people are married...not all, but most...I'm not sure why marriage could help to push so many who would otherwise be borderline into full-blown clinical diagnosis, but it may be something to look into.:skep:

They say admitting the problem is the first step to recovery... I'm not saying anything to anyone in particular... I'm just saying that is what they say...

... I am not sure self actualization is really a step towards recovery. It seems like clarity on how to focus on what you now realize is your passion.. :skep:

It may be time to add in some statistics based questions:

15. How many Whiskey Forums do you have more than 100 posts on?

One for me

16. How many of those forums have you accumulated more than 1000 posts in your first year (or maintain a more than 3 posts per day average)?

zero for me.

17. Add one for being an Whiskey Forum administrator/moderator/owner (per forum).

zero for me.

18. Add one for owning more than 25 bottles, two for more than 100, three for more than 400.

that's two for me.

19. Add one for owning more than 12 of any one bottle.

zero for me.

Okay 19 questions, we'll go with 9 is a positive.

I now get 6 out of 19...still not a positive.

Stop adding questions! I'm already a diagnosed case! I'm going to Santa Fe to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws, and I called Byrons in OK City with an order. I have to take my truck because it won't fit in my jeep! I'm 68 and I have at least 2 to 3 years worth of inventory and I'm buying another year's worth! The bad part is I know that while in Santa Fe I'll have to drive up to Kokomans on the indian reservation to see what goodies they have. The sad part is making two trips/year to Kentucky and one to Scotland, I don't think there is any hope for me! If someone forms a WRA, count me in as a charter member. I've always said I'm not an alcoholic because I don't go to meetings and I don't have a drinking problem because I can find my mouth every time, now you point out that I do have an affliction. I used to like you, Chuck, before you pointed this out to me! (but I still look forward to raising a glass with you at the Sampler and learning more of your knowledge of bourbon.)

I'm Steve and I have Whiskirexia Nervosa. Have it bad.

I am yes to 10 of 11 from the original list - But now that you mention it perhaps a bar wouldn't be such a bad idea...:rolleyes:

I'm 2 of 3 from the new questions. Moving isn't an option.....yet.

Hi, My name is Joe and I have Whiskirexia Nervosa. I had to go grocery shopping with my wife today. We stopped at four grocery stores, (my wife couldn't find the right potatoes) and I didn't buy anything from any of their liquor departments. We also stopped at two liquor stores. The only bottle I purchased, was a Canadian liqueur/whiskey, that is for a friend. Honest, Really. I'm not kidding. For real. I mean it. I ate when I got home. Then ...........I poured myself a stiff one and proceeded to take an inventory of my collection! I'm a nervous wreck! Thanks Chuck, you've helped make me more of a blithering idiot than what I normally am. Honest. Really. I'm not kidding. For real. I mean it. I'd like to thank you all for being here for me.

I knew that I had this condition a few weeks ago, when both of my sisters were in town for a visit. We went to a liquor store because they each like a brand of beer they can't get where they live. While there, I bought one bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB, because I was out. After observing that whiskey now dominates my kitchen and dining room (plus a few other places I didn't show them), they gave me a hard time about buying more. They just didn't understand that yes, I have a lot of whiskey, but I didn't have any Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Yes, I have a couple other straight ryes, including some Rittenhouse 80 proof, but I was out of the BIB and it's only $13 a bottle.

Is there, I wondered, something wrong with me?

I also wonder how many people go to the web, looking for a support group, and find instead loads of eager enablers?

I knew that I had this condition a few weeks ago, when both of my sisters were in town for a visit. We went to a liquor store because they each like a brand of beer they can't get where they live. While there, I bought one bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB, because I was out. After observing that whiskey now dominates my kitchen and dining room (plus a few other places I didn't show them), they gave me a hard time about buying more. They just didn't understand that yes, I have a lot of whiskey, but I didn't have any Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Yes, I have a couple other straight ryes, including some Rittenhouse 80 proof, but I was out of the BIB and it's only $13 a bottle.

Is there, I wondered, something wrong with me?

I also wonder how many people go to the web, looking for a support group, and find instead loads of eager enablers?

But Chuck, you know you did the right thing in picking up more Rittenhouse BIB. I'm not sure why you would question that.

I for instance do quite a bit of baking and as such I keep about 6 different types of flour at home, if I am out of one, I see no reason to question myself in picking up some more.

I knew there was a name for it. I actually have been studying this phenomenon in myself for quite sometime, so I thought this diagnostic tool might be helpful.

Questions to ask yourself to determine if you have Whiskirexia Nervosa:

1. Do you have a better whiskey collection than most restaurants and bars in your city? state? country?

2. Do you have bottles stored in the bedroom? the bathroom? the kids' room(s)?

3. Do your local liquor store owners/staff know you by name?

4. Do you have on-line liquor stores bookmarked?

5. Have you ever missed work to ensure you're home to sign for a parcel that requires an adult signature?

6. If you leave a liquor store empty-handed do you feel disappointed? Panicky? Do you develop a rash?

7. Do you have a written inventory of your bottles? When someone comes over for a drink, do you offer them a printed list?

8. When travelling, do you visit liquor stores just in case they have something you can't find at home?

9. Do you spend more time buying whiskey than drinking it?

10. Have you ever considered opening a bar, just with the stock you currently own?

If you've answered yest to five or more of these questions, you may have Whiskirexia Nevosa (also known as Whiskyrexia Nevosa). You should consider seeking immediate medical attention.

1,3(doesn''t really count as I work at one),4,5,6,7,8.

Then again, I am perennially searching for something new and exciting in whiskey (most recently a 3yr old barrel sample from KBD.... they are dragging their feet on bottling the damn thing too)

The bunker right now stands at 120btls with an additional 27 in inventory.... likely to increase substantially within the next weeks with single malts (watch for some retardedly low sale pricing as suppliers cut prices for December).

Stop adding questions! I'm already a diagnosed case! I'm going to Santa Fe to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws, and I called Byrons in OK City with an order. I have to take my truck because it won't fit in my jeep! I'm 68 and I have at least 2 to 3 years worth of inventory and I'm buying another year's worth! The bad part is I know that while in Santa Fe I'll have to drive up to Kokomans on the indian reservation to see what goodies they have. The sad part is making two trips/year to Kentucky and one to Scotland, I don't think there is any hope for me! If someone forms a WRA, count me in as a charter member. I've always said I'm not an alcoholic because I don't go to meetings and I don't have a drinking problem because I can find my mouth every time, now you point out that I do have an affliction. I used to like you, Chuck, before you pointed this out to me! (but I still look forward to raising a glass with you at the Sampler and learning more of your knowledge of bourbon.)

Kokomans!!! I love that place!! On the Pojoaque Reservation. I actually used to do work in the area and visited the place as often as possible.

I've been away from Kentucky for a solid 5 months and it appears that some of the symptons of WN are subsiding.

I've taken the local liquor stores in Lexington off speed dial.

I didn't get any of the BTAC and seem to be surviving.

My collection has been in boxes for six months and, although I miss it dearly, I only went to check on it a few times and let it know that it won't be long before they can sit back on the shelf in 5 or more rooms of the new house.

The daily pour has become an occasional microbrew, but only at meals BEFORE lunch.

The doctor says the twitch will go away soon and the salivation upon hearing anything resembling a cork pop may subside by the end of next summer.

Hi, My name is Joe and I have Whiskirexia Nervosa. I didn't buy anything for myself today, but I had to stop at a liquor store to pick up two more bottles of Canadian liqueur/whiskey for my Tuesday night bowling buddies. Honest. Really. I'm not kidding. For real. I mean it. I did take a walk through the bourbon section, even though I was just there yesterday. Man, my mouth got dry. I'm going to have a Coke now and see if I can get me salivary glands working again. I'd like to thank you all for being here for me. Joe

PS Ahhhhh, screw the Coke. I'm gonna have some bourbon.:banghead:

Good news! (I think.) I've been generally cured:coffeedrinker: , by a combination of time, a hyper-active consciousness which tolerates only varied interests, and better uses for my money. My remaining weakness remains the relationships I've collected while consumed with the stuff, which I hope never diminish.

Today, I hate myself for 'wasting' (remember -- I STILL have a fair number of quite drinkable bottles on the shelves in the pantry) money on whiskey, and stay out of liquor stores in which I don't work.

It's not impossible --you CAN lick this thing! If, of course, you want to.

More, Top Ten signs that you may have Whiskirexia Nervosa:

10. Finally, you gladly accept an invitation for dinner at your wife's goofy best friend and her goofier husbands house, when you realize they live in a part of town you haven't "hunted" yet.

9. You no longer crack up with uncontrollable giggles when somebody describes some bourbons as having a "hint of anise" taste.

8. Although you hated any science class, and squeaked through high school chemistry, you now think you're Louis Pasteur, because you own a Buffalo Trace "Experimental Collection".

7. You dump your membership in the Sierra Club when you realize, " There's plenty good to come from cuttin' down American White Oak!"

6. You can't name the last 2 Super Bowl Champs, but you CAN name every "Bourbonian of the Year".

5. Parker Beam and Jimmy Russell are forced to get restraining orders on you so you'll quit hugging them every time you see them.

4. You tell Bill Gates "Thanks, but no thanks", to his Executive Vice President and Second in Command job, because you have it on good authority that Washington state's bourbon selection "Isn't competitive with other offers you have in Kentucky".

3. You tell your only daughter she can't get married in late April as she hoped, because it conflicts with KBF.

2. When the Hell's Angels pull into your local bar, and order up a round of Jack Daniel's, you knock back a shot of Stagg and begin to jeer and taunt them with quips like, "Hey Alice, how 'bout a skirt with that drink!"

1. Having been a life long agnostic, you suddenly accept the existence of God because you think it's a way to take part in the Angel's Share.

I gots da sickness...

I live in alabama and every time i go out of state. the back end of my car looks like an old fashion bootlegger. Beer weighs more. two to three cases plus about five bottles of spirits.

I think we should have a Whiskyrexia Nervose Anonymous meeting...

At the Liquor Barn!

Great idea! I like it, but I believe Chuck is having the first meeting at the Binny's South Loop Store on the 13th of December. Come on up if you can make it.

No promises of a cure but just understanding we have a problem...and knowing is half the battle.

Tony

I have it so bad, that I thought Tony's post read, "....and knowing is half the bottle." My name is Joe and................

Stopped at two liquor stores today while traveling out of town. Both had really good selections of bourbon. The only thing I bought was a 50 ml of Old Forester for my collection. Looks like I'm getting there. My name is still Joe..............

Hidden

Stopped at two liquor stores today while traveling out of town. Both had really good selections of bourbon. The only thing I bought was a 50 ml of Old Forester for my collection. Looks like I'm getting there. My name is still Joe..............

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.