Do you have it?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a bourbon, whiskey, beer, cocktail, massive spirit, wine, brandy, digestif, aperitif, I'll have another one of those... nutyness things that I can't stop. I am not sure people can help with my classification... but... can I just say I belong and can join your support group?!

I have bottles in drawers right now cause I have no room (I am not making this up), do I have a problem??

WELL...I can truthfully claim a remission, I have been in Iraq for 16 months and haven't bought a bottle (OK I lied, last NOV on vacation we visited BT and I did buy 3 bottles; but only because I thought it was a requirement)

HOWEVER I feel a relapse coming on when I get home, especially since joining this enabling group, starting with the 3 bottles of GTS a buddy has reserved for me.

A quote from Gary Regan: "I'm not a writer with a drinking problem, I'm a drinker with a writing problem."

There is news on the research side of this affliction. It was done independant of any outside influences. It seems that the condition described here in this thread can not only be brought under control, but can be cured 100%.

I was innoculated by a new and more recent virus created in the lab... Accountus Emptius. It seems that this new virus does not actually cure WN, but renders it severly impaired. Early results are promising. Side effects are still being discovered. There is a yet to be named phenomenon that prompts patients to search bunkers and deplete them at an accelerated rate. Further research will be monitored and reported.

Of course the patient must want to be cured. The first blind trials indicate that this is a huge problem, one that has researchers scratching their heads in amazement.

Accountus is also not as strong a strain as WN, and the effects seem to be temporary. Researchers are quick to point out a 100% resitivism rate once AE wears off.

Just an update...

My doctor has diagnosed my remission as caused by Retiremntitus Synrome. A condition I hope to cure soon.

There is news on the research side of this affliction. It was done independant of any outside influences. It seems that the condition described here in this thread can not only be brought under control, but can be cured 100%.

I was innoculated by a new and more recent virus created in the lab... Accountus Emptius. It seems that this new virus does not actually cure WN, but renders it severly impaired. Early results are promising. Side effects are still being discovered. There is a yet to be named phenomenon that prompts patients to search bunkers and deplete them at an accelerated rate. Further research will be monitored and reported.

Of course the patient must want to be cured. The first blind trials indicate that this is a huge problem, one that has researchers scratching their heads in amazement.

Accountus is also not as strong a strain as WN, and the effects seem to be temporary. Researchers are quick to point out a 100% resitivism rate once AE wears off.

Just an update...

Marc some moths ago I found myself with a case of this. It seems mine was due to the automotive industry and lack of work. The government supplement (AKA placebo) or unemployment as it's referred to by the government officials, leaving my bank account with a severe case of "Accountus Emptius". Seemed at the end of the month I just never had enough left over to support the bunker!

Thanks for the info I knew there was a name for it!

Regards,

Tony

PS. Just to keep everyone updated, I still have it, though learning to cope with it as of late (a job helps!).

Yes, roadtrips to Nashville , Atlanta, and Pensacola cures the urge. Dr Frugal MacDoogal helps the Alabama strain of outbreak.

I momentarily showed some frightening symptoms...but once I got my years' allocation of BTAC, all seems better...if only they'd discontinue Saz18 I'd never have this issue...

• 4 years later...

Bringing this up again. I think it's relevant, especially for some of the newer folks. :drinking:

Oh yes......I have it.

I've read about this condition referenced numerous times by veterans, now I know where it started!

Proof that I'm afflicted......my at home bunker (all of them) are full, so now I have an "at work" bunker. Can't do the trunk of my car (like TT and others) because we are a one car family, so my wife has access.

...Can't do the trunk of my car (like TT and others) because we are a one car family, so my wife has access.

Bringing this up again. I think it's relevant, especially for some of the newer folks. :drinking:

Glad to see this. I thought I had a problem; now I know better. Just yesterday, my wife told me that our utility/pantry/laundry room has "too many" bottles just randomly stored in it. My job: "Do something about this mess!" So, how come this morning when she found me sitting on the floor with several empty bottles did she get upset? I'm drinking as fast as is prudent.:yum:

Good thread, glad Joe bumped it again, I too was stricken with this disease, but have gotten it under control, depletion without fortification is the cure(within reason of course). However I do still enjoy a stroll down the isle every now and then, and do find myself leaving empty handed about half the time.(well maybe not quite that much)

Great thread. While most weeks I only visit one store I probably leave empty handed maybe 5% of the time. Even now I am convincing myself that I need another case of a store select 4RSB just in case.

I noticed another sign recently. Your newer-to-bourbon-than-you friend just bragged that his collection is now up to 40 bottles, and while congratulating him you think to yourself: "amateur".

Yes, for most folks it's just a store but for me it's Walden Pond.

And some people go to Disney World, while I... wonder if I could get a fast pass at my local?

I noticed another sign recently. Your newer-to-bourbon-than-you friend just bragged that his collection is now up to 40 bottles, and while congratulating him you think to yourself: "amateur".

That's just too damn funny, Tony!

... While most weeks I only visit one store I probably leave empty handed maybe 5% of the time...
that's the 5% of the time you show up and the store is closed?

love this one!

i think its funny there was a thread about frantic bunkering before the shortages hit the bourbon world the way they are today.

I have enough to last me 5+ years here, but I still enjoy stopping in stores 'just to see whats new/on sale', though I often leave empty handed. For some reason, its enjoyable just to pace the aisle and look

I do this as well. Even if I don't buy anything, I feel comfort in knowing what's there. :grin:

I've had it bad for several years. However, I've picked over so many stores within a 50 mile radius of my house, that I've cured myself. I have personally determined that I created a whisk(e)y desert in my area and there's no point in revisiting stores I know have nothing of value to my collection. The only bottles I covet are new releases and I'm dialing that down because I'm running out of space to store them. The hardest part of my condition is convincing myself that if I open a bottle from my bunker, the whole bunker wont vanish into thin air :)

I have no fear of running out, but I keep buying more because I have a perpetual urge to try new whiskeys. I really think my problem would be solved if everything was available in 200 ml bottles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.