Do you have it?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have no fear of running out, but I keep buying more because I have a perpetual urge to try new whiskeys. I really think my problem would be solved if everything was available in 200 ml bottles.

I really wish more labels were available in 375ml or smaller. I can understand why they're not, but I'd love it.

I really wish more labels were available in 375ml or smaller. I can understand why they're not, but I'd love it.

Agree with you and with VT Mike. I could put more shelves up if everything came in 375s or even 200s - easily more volume in the same cubic space, AND I'd be willing to pay a premium for the convenience.

On a related thought, I've written to DISCUS several times suggesting they tell the liqueur makers to put more stuff in 375s because "some" of us hate taking up space with cocktail ingredients we only use a couple times a year. I'd buy more exotic stuff if it came in smaller bottles. For example, I have a lifetime supply of Crème Violette and Advocaat and just this week finished a 750ml of green Chartreuse I bought in France in 1972. ASIDE: There is at least one shortcoming of drinking most whiskey neat: the secondary spirits don't get consumed very fast.

My name is Paul and I confess I have WN as well. After my 1st fall release and having purchased all 5 2011 BTAC and a few PVW as well I thought I was kind of cured until I signed onto SB and saw a post on the "show us your stash" thread about FR limited edition and I was screwed. I also must confess to buying because I thought the bottle was pretty. (Head hung in shame)

Agree with you and with VT Mike. I could put more shelves up if everything came in 375s or even 200s - easily more volume in the same cubic space, AND I'd be willing to pay a premium for the convenience.

On a related thought, I've written to DISCUS several times suggesting they tell the liqueur makers to put more stuff in 375s because "some" of us hate taking up space with cocktail ingredients we only use a couple times a year. I'd buy more exotic stuff if it came in smaller bottles. For example, I have a lifetime supply of Crème Violette and Advocaat and just this week finished a 750ml of green Chartreuse I bought in France in 1972. ASIDE: There is at least one shortcoming of drinking most whiskey neat: the secondary spirits don't get consumed very fast.

That's a good point. One of the rate limiting step in me buying a mixing liqueur to try a new cocktail recipe is the knowledge of how much space it will take up and how long it will take to go through a bottle.

Creme de Violette I went through embarrassingly quickly last summer...Aviations and Moonlight cocktails are great on a hot summer evening...

My name is Paul and I confess I have WN as well. After my 1st fall release and having purchased all 5 2011 BTAC and a few PVW as well I thought I was kind of cured until I signed onto SB and saw a post on the "show us your stash" thread about FR limited edition and I was screwed. I also must confess to buying because I thought the bottle was pretty. (Head hung in shame)

It's okay about the WN, and having bought a bottle just 'cause it was pretty. Been there, done that. I'm just a little upset because I thought your name really was Mick. :lol:

FWIW, I'm of Irish descent. :skep:

Cheers! Joe

Another Irishman here and I as well confess to all of the above but I have finally got past the purty bottle stage.

The best thing about "Show me your stash" was showing the pics to MrsTT a year ago when she thought my hobby was getting out of hand. Hasn't said a word about since then other than "enjoy baby"

Love this woman.

I did something today I had told myself not to do. I counted my bottles and was kind of surprised. Then the thought hit me that I should have more ETL than I saw so I checked the basement and sure enough there is another six bottles.

That surprised me since I went out on Saturday specifically looking for more ETL... Didn't find any but did ask a store that will be receiving shipments to hold me some when it comes in....

Oh and today when I was out in picked up three bottles of various brands.

I have WN....

I don't have a problem. It's all the other people who aren't buying enough that have the problem.

Weller 12 drying up around these parts is giving me it. I want to buy at least a case when it comes back in. I don't mind missing out on limited editions, but not having my standard pour is vexing.

i about fell outta my chair laughing when i saw sku's list.

yes, yes i have this disease bad. and i'm passing it along to many of my friends.

and i've started having bottles shipped to work to make sure someone is available to sign. works like a charm

Edited by altadoc

Symptom 742:

When you fly with only carry-on luggage, there is always a 50ml of bourbon in your ziplock bag for carry-on liquids, just in case.

or to actually drink something decent on the plane. i actually pack some turbinado sugar and a mini bottle of bitters. nothing says class like an old-fashioned at 30,000ft!

Weller 12 drying up around these parts is giving me it. I want to buy at least a case when it comes back in. I don't mind missing out on limited editions, but not having my standard pour is vexing.

This was my plan when ETL starting becoming harder to find. Alas, I never found more than a couple of bottles at one time.

I ended up finding some yesterday and practiced some restraint by only buying four liters.
Good thinking. That's a good safe max carry load without risk of breaking a bottle. Then ya can get another load next trip.

i once walked out of a Kroger Liquor store with over 25 HHBIB's when I thought they were being d/c'ed. I think Im a member as well

at least I got a case discount as well

i once walked out of a Kroger Liquor store with over 25 HHBIB's when I thought they were being d/c'ed. I think Im a member as well

at least I got a case discount as well

I'm reminded of the tale of the grasshopper and the ant. In this case, you're the ant. The grasshopper will be forced to make do with Ten High while you're sipping like an aristocrat!

It's okay about the WN, and having bought a bottle just 'cause it was pretty. Been there, done that. I'm just a little upset because I thought your name really was Mick. :lol:

FWIW, I'm of Irish descent. :skep:

Cheers! Joe

sorry Joe. Just a boring mix of German and other small European countries in my genealogy. But I have wished to be Irish at times.

Edited by Mickbourbon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I have Whiskirexia nervosa but I am most definitely concerned about the weight distribution in my house. My house seems to be tilting toward the bar and whiskey storage side. Not good! I guess I will have to start storing the rest of my purchases in the kids bedrooms.

Yup, figuring out where to put new bottles without having someone near and dear to me comment on the size of the collection is an especially delicate balancing act.

Yup, figuring out where to put new bottles without having someone near and dear to me comment on the size of the collection is an especially delicate balancing act.

Questions to ask yourself to determine if you have Whiskirexia Nervosa:

1. Do you have a better whiskey collection than most restaurants and bars in your city? state? country?

Where I am from? for Bourbon? Yes

2. Do you have bottles stored in the bedroom? the bathroom? the kids' room(s)?

Nope A special dark storage place in the basement.

3. Do your local liquor store owners/staff know you by name?

Some of them.

4. Do you have on-line liquor stores bookmarked? Nope

5. Have you ever missed work to ensure you're home to sign for a parcel that requires an adult signature? nope

6. If you leave a liquor store empty-handed do you feel disappointed? Panicky? Do you develop a rash? nope. Need to see what they have for a future purchase.

7. Do you have a written inventory of your bottles? When someone comes over for a drink, do you offer them a printed list? not for public knowledge. just what's on deck.

8. When travelling, do you visit liquor stores just in case they have something you can't find at home? When I travel. More than Likely.

9. Do you spend more time buying whiskey than drinking it? Yes. I don't make that much Money. However.I save my whisky for a treat.

10. Have you ever considered opening a bar, just with the stock you currently own? hell no.

Looks like I'm OK ..... for now.

R-Savage, after a couple more months here you'll be saying yes to more of those questions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.