Good whiskey history site - fyi

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"A 1913, an article appeared in The Louisville Courier-journal's special "Southern Prosperity" edition wherein whiskey dealer S.C. Herbst proclaimed that his Old Judge and Old Fitzgerald brands of bourbon were the last "Old Fashioned Copper Pot Distilled Whiskeys."

I wonder where they found this?

Mike Veach

Probably a quote of a quote of a quote. I don't doubt Herbst claimed it, nor do I doubt the claim was unfounded. We know the still that Joe and Harry Beam took to Mexico was a pot still, for example.

Actually it is word for word from my history timeline on BE. A couple of the other "timeline" quotes in the article are also from the same source, my timelines on BE.

The article is in the Courier-Journal southern Prosperity Edition that features several distillery articles and advertisements. I also believe that Herbst was the last major distillery to make 100% pot still bourbon, but there were other distilleries using pot stills at the time and selling their product to other distilleries. The Harlan Distillery in Monroe Co. Ky. was one of these. It was a farmer distillery with 2 pot stills of about 150 gallons each and they sold their whiskey to Glenmore.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.