Accidental Hedonist's book on Whiskey out in the Spring

sysrick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.allbookstores.com/book/9780312381080/Kate_Hopkins/99_Drams_Of_Whiskey.html

I believe that Kate Hopkins corresponded with a few folks on this list as part of her research. I do know I enjoy her blog -- here is an example from when she was touring KY:

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php?title=whiskey_tasting_notes_parker_s_heritage_&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

• 6 months later...

The book--99 Drams--has been out for about a month now, but I don't think there has been any conversation about it here, except for the post above from December.

I've read the book and enjoyed it very much, all the more remarkable since I approached it with low expectations. So many people have done something similar--made the rounds of the distilleries, recording what they learn along the way--and they usually get at least half of it wrong.

I don't know what it is about whiskey, though part of the problem is that the producers--who are the primary sources--use so much marketing puffery it can be hard to wrap your head around the real facts.

Yet, remarkably, Kate Hopkins proved it is not impossible. She made the rounds, did her research, and got nearly everything right. The few exceptions I would regard as minor quibbles.

See, just about every other journalist who has taken up this subject, it's not so difficult after all to tell an informative and entertaining story that has the benefit of being true.

I think it's in book stores. I know it's on Amazon.

I got it 2 weeks ago and have made it through 5 chapters or so. It's pretty darn enjoyable, I just have been so busy I haven't taken enough time out to finish it.

I jealous that someone could parley booze tourism into a book that at least payed for her trip. I think she's my hero.

• 4 weeks later...

Even though I started this thread I did not purchase the book until after I read Chuck's post above. Would have bought it sooner if I had come across the book in a bookstore -- on the backflap of the book under the heading "Praise for 99 Drams of Whiskey" is a paragraph from Chuck that concludes: "... She gets it right but keeps it fun and captures the ineffaable quality of whiskey love. 99 Drams is an unexpected and fresh take on whiskey." Well said! For what it is worth I highly recommend the book as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.