Port

swampguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wish I could afford the port I would like to drink, like LBV, aged tawnys etc. Instead I drink alot of tawny ports and thought I would recommend a few.

Ramos Pinto Tawny, Trevor Jones Jonesy, and Whisker Blake. All are very tasty. the last two are auzzie ports. Jonesy is a dark brown so don't let it put you off. Any recommends from you guys. Smitty

Of the Auzzies I prefer the Jonesy and whisker blake but Galway ain't bad. I love Optima but moving into the price range I can't afford for half bottle.Yalumba has a nice little aged tawny port for about 12 bucks that is very good, also. Smitty

• 3 weeks later...

Had some South-African ports and they were quite allright but i prefer the real stuff.Working in a specialized wine&liquorshop gives me a chance for trying out and buy the best stuff for a lot cheaper than the regular prices.My collection of port is growing by the day,from 1963 to 2001 i`ve got colheitas,vintages or lbv`s.My oldest bottle is a colheita from Kopke from 1931.But from all the houses i think the most and constant one for quality is the house of Pocas,anybody knows this house?

Eric.

I just picked up a Fonseca 2001 Late Bottle Vintage from our ABC for $24.50. I haven't opened it yet. The price was right and so far I've liked the Fonseca Bin 27.

I just picked up a Fonseca 2001 Late Bottle Vintage from our ABC for $24.50. I haven't opened it yet. The price was right and so far I've liked the Fonseca Bin 27.

If you like the Bin 27 you should love the LBV!

Christmas night I opened two bottles of Vintage Port. One was a Croft 1963 and the other a Dow 1970. Both were excellent; however, I liked the Croft best. It was still in its prime with an incredibly long finish.

• 9 years later...

AN INCREDIBLE BUMP of this thread!

Was cleaning out some bunker space in the basement (so I could transfer some bourbon from my car trunk) while planning on refreshments for Christmas/New Years/related Holidays and decided to crack open one of my laid-up ports.  Picked a Graham's 1991 Vintage which has been down there since about 1998 IIRC and can decipher my own notes.  I managed to get most of the cork out with a vegetable peeler (PERFECT curve for separating the remaining cork from the glass bottle).  Managed to collect about 720 of the 750 ml.  THERE IS A PROBLEM - after drinking bourbon (and rye) mostly neat for several years (well, seriously since about 1992), port tastes like something sweet-tart and NON-alcohol.  It was all I could do to restrain myself from pouring it into a beer tumbler.  It was WONderful.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.