BOTM 12/08: George T Stagg '08

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

stagg was an instant favorite of mine, just about this time last year when Dougdog turned me on to it.

I have tasted,well ok, consumed the 144.8 three bottles are not enough for the whole year.

I also got my hands on one of the 131.8 and have just recently tasted this years version.

I do believe a head to head is in order.

of all the flavors listed, I am surprised no one has mentioned cherry chocolate, this is the most overwhelming note imo.

Bill

of all the flavors listed, I am surprised no one has mentioned cherry chocolate, this is the most overwhelming note imo.

Interesting; I believe that Jim Murray noted cherry flavors, if not cherry chocolate, years ago in Ancient Age Barrel 107, which was a 107 proof expression of Ancient Age that has been discontinued.

Story of my life... seems like when I really like something it's in short supply or not available at all.

Bill

Hmmm Sounds good. But can only find 1 stockest in Australia and they want AU$399.00 (US$275) each:hot: .

Kickert, you got it right.

This year's Stagg is one of the best.

Definitely better than the '06 and '07.

Hey Oscar,

Didn't you and I try this one neat at our get together a few weeks ago? If I remember right, I couldn't believe how great it tasted for such a high proof. Or, was I drinking something else with you that I now no longer remember? :lol:

Mark

Hey Oscar,

Didn't you and I try this one neat at our get together a few weeks ago? If I remember right, I couldn't believe how great it tasted for such a high proof. Or, was I drinking something else with you that I now no longer remember? :lol:

Mark

Yep that's the one and at a whopping 141.8 prf you'd never know.

Also you said that night that you did not like wheaters but you liked Stagg's BTAC Brother William Larue Weller(125.3prf).

Also you said that night that you did not like wheaters but you liked Stagg's BTAC Brother William Larue Weller(125.3prf).

Correction: He said he preferred rye-recipe to wheaters, not that he didn't like wheaters.

Correction: He said he preferred rye-recipe to wheaters, not that he didn't like wheaters.

No prob, boss.

Speaking of which, maybe I should mosey down to your place to help drink some of your 2008 Stagg!

:drink:

• 5 weeks later...

missed a bottle by the last second several weeks ago....went to my local PLCB store in Media PA....they kindly accomadated me, told me my options, put in a transfer....said it might take a long time....

it didn't!

got my bottle today....they gave me the cool little 3-bottle box it shipped in and it had the 'tissue' AND the BT letter enclosed. nice.

the sipping is even nicer.:bowdown:

missed a bottle by the last second several weeks ago....went to my local PLCB store in Media PA....they kindly accomadated me, told me my options, put in a transfer....said it might take a long time....

it didn't!

got my bottle today....they gave me the cool little 3-bottle box it shipped in and it had the 'tissue' AND the BT letter enclosed. nice.

the sipping is even nicer.:bowdown:

Nice!!! Happy for you Poly.

Nice!!! Happy for you Poly.

thanks! it's a treat to have this bottle to nurse through these snowier days. i am waiting for the weekend to do my tasting notes. initial sips last night confirm this will be a pleasure ... and a sad day it is emptied

Poly, don't be afraid to add a touch of water. I find that the sweeter notes really emerge to the forefront with a touch of water. GTS is an absolute dream. So glad that it is helping you get through the snow. Enjoy.:grin: Can't wait to see your notes, mine always end up blurry and happy.

i am not one to measure water drops or splashes...i think i found a good, intuitive micro-splash and am getting a really nice nose and taste...but don't feel ready to include the brain and lingual remarks after this long HALF day at school!

but it's scary with just THIS bottle of bourbon in the house...i just knocked out the remains of WTrye, Weller Antique and the impressive Fighting Cock...i need something mid-shelf to keep me from tapping this last bottle (i know of!)....

appearance: even with a splash of water, it retains that deep, reddish-brown maple syrup color (i don't measure, but i think it's a 1:5 ratio roughly...water:stagg)

nose: heady caramel-toffee-chocolate with a background of black strap molasses; organic, earthy floral notes; dried-cranberries fondued in honey and more chocolate

taste: too many words come up, too many possible references (even in my limited bourbon vocabulary); i got the right mix of water...simply opened this up in an intense, gaping way; got the alcohol, but it was twisted in, double-helix like, with the torrent of flavors. ok, next attempt, and i get butterscotch melted and drizzled on pecans, oaky assertions, dark fruit marmalade slathered on beer bread! etc...

finish: the oaky dryness is played off by continued buttery sour creaminess...and spicy sweetness (like raw honey)...i know i am in the presence greater than my tongue and nose...sensations continue at both assertive and equally subtle levels. as amazing as the previous Stagg...i originally thought that the sister bottle of rye, the Handy Saz, was better. no, just different. can't compare. each are testaments to what great distilling can be.

i will be sad when this one is gone.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!