What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Plznsky Prazdroj. Say that three times real fast after drinking a few. Then put in the diacritical marks and see if it helps. Then buy a couple of vowels and try it again.

Cheers!

A Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. A stout brewed with coffeee. Nicely balanced, and hearty. I feared that the coffee would overwhelm the stout, but they really work well together. Nice while sitting outside and listening to Dawgs and Spartans on the radio.

A variety case of Dundee....ales, porters etc. Pretty good.

Also, the Michelob collection...Marzen, ale, porter etc....again, pretty good.

A growler of Cathedral Ledge Lager from Moat Mtn. brewery in N. Conway, NH. This is one my wife and I's favorite breweries and a client brought me the beer as a New Year's present. Very delicious.

I made my own this winter. A brown ale and a steam beer. I'm bottling the steam beer tomorrow. Brown ale has one bomber left!

When I was in CO, I had some great CO beers. New Belgium's 1554 Black Ale and 2 Below, O'Dell's Isolation Ale and Seven-Barrel Pale Ale, and C.B. and Pott's Total Disorder Porter and seasonal Pale Ale.

I miss living in CO.

However, this season has brought back the wonderful, seasonal Bell's Best Brown Ale. MI ain't bad, I suppose.

I made my own this winter. A brown ale and a steam beer. I'm bottling the steam beer tomorrow. Brown ale has one bomber left!

When I was in CO, I had some great CO beers. New Belgium's 1554 Black Ale and 2 Below, O'Dell's Isolation Ale and Seven-Barrel Pale Ale, and C.B. and Pott's Total Disorder Porter and seasonal Pale Ale.

I miss living in CO.

However, this season has brought back the wonderful, seasonal Bell's Best Brown Ale. MI ain't bad, I suppose.

I miss living in CO, too, Jeremy....New Belgium's Fat Tire is my all-time favorite beer and, for a while, they had a seasonal called Loft that was just outtasite! Also, Deschutes is available out there and I love the Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

And to keep up with the Colorado theme, I've been switching back and forth between some Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide, Frambozen from New Belgium (one of few fruity beers I like) and Deschutes Jubilale. Avery's White Rascal is becoming my go to lighter beer and I try to keep it on hand at all times.

Phinney Flats Imperial Stout

I made it this summer (long enough ago that our newly-crowned BOTY 2009 had some of the Pale Ale I brewed the same day when he was our guest of honor at the EBSG), but only just started tapping it this week.

Beers of 10% or more (I know...malt liquors or barleywines, but they're still beer) should always get several months to compose themselves. I once worked at a pub in the Woodland Park area of Seattle where the owner bought up the winter stouts, barleywines and strong ales put out by the micros that were left after the holidays and let them sit for a June celebration. They were always much better after that aging.

Roger

I miss living in CO, too, Jeremy....New Belgium's Fat Tire is my all-time favorite beer and, for a while, they had a seasonal called Loft that was just outtasite! Also, Deschutes is available out there and I love the Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

I am drinking Fat Tire now... a gift from my stocking. I really like Mothership Wit and find La Folie to be an absolutely outstanding beer to have every once in a long while.

While I think fat tire is really good and worth trying (or picking up a case or two when visiting), I like other micro brews better. I am a huge fan of Alaskan Amber and Moose Drool.

Tonight I am drinking Stegmairer Porter as it is cold out and Porter is a great way to forget about the Cold and even though it is not really Expensive it is one very good Porter! It goes good with my Shot of Peanut Liqour and Rye Whiskey washes things down! It is very cold tonight and I have always enjoyed Porter in the Cold weather.

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting ready to open a Rogue's Chocolate Stout...and a nice plate of brownies. The perfect combination....

took a chance and bought a variety case from the Phildelphia Brewing Company...nice variety of their 4 available brews.

tasting the 'Walt Wit' belgian style white ale...very nice, typical belgian nose and all. so far so good.

a shame i bought that WT Rye....so tempted to drift to that on a sunday evening...

took a chance and bought a variety case from the Phildelphia Brewing Company...nice variety of their 4 available brews.

tasting the 'Walt Wit' belgian style white ale...very nice, typical belgian nose and all. so far so good.

a shame i bought that WT Rye....so tempted to drift to that on a sunday evening...

Boy You Can not go wrong with their Walt Wit and If you get to Phila you can buy it right at the brewery and their Tour is awesome and you can drink as many beers as you want at the Bar in the Brewery as long as you behave!

I had the tour this fall on a Sat in Nov and tried all their beers and the Walt Wit was so good I bought two fresh cases that were filled about a week before I bought them!

If You ever get down there on a Sat take the tour it is alot of Fun!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

-----------------------------------------

I hit the Rock Bottom Brewery in downtown Denver today with a friend to try the Dirty Bird, a pale ale aged in Wild Turkey barrels and then dry hopped. Good beer with a great nose. The bartender also poured us samples of the '07 barleywine that has aged 11 months in WT barrels...exceptional stuff. It's definitely a sipper and has intense Turkey flavor.

After that, we hit the Great Divide Tap Room for some Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. Truly a meal in a glass with roasty notes and lovely hop balance.

Here at home I've been enjoying Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Great Divide Hibernation, Abyss...too many to count.

I hit the Rock Bottom Brewery in downtown Denver today with a friend to try the Dirty Bird, a pale ale aged in Wild Turkey barrels and then dry hopped. Good beer with a great nose. The bartender also poured us samples of the '07 barleywine that has aged 11 months in WT barrels...exceptional stuff. It's definitely a sipper and has intense Turkey flavor.

After that, we hit the Great Divide Tap Room for some Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. Truly a meal in a glass with roasty notes and lovely hop balance.

Here at home I've been enjoying Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Great Divide Hibernation, Abyss...too many to count.

Nice day, Rake! :woohoo: You're New Year is off to a pretty good start! I...uh...hmm...sold some plastic today...:falling:

:toast:

Nice day, Rake! :woohoo: You're New Year is off to a pretty good start! I...uh...hmm...sold some plastic today...:falling:

:toast:

Yeah, a pretty good day. This is what I do instead of looking for a(nother) job.

I am drinking a budweiser 24ouncer tonight, but planning to go Pliny hunting tomorrow. Curious what everyone's (anyone's) thoughts are on Pliny the Elder? For those unfamiliar it is a glorious beer from Russian River Brewery in Northern California. They don't call it an IPA, I think it is an imperial pale ale, I am sure many here know a hell of lot more about what makes what beer which than I - all I know is I like it. A lot. And it's in and out of stores very quickly.

After I find some I'll try to do some tasting notes in a new thread. Maybe some for Jubelale also.

We cannot get Pliny in NJ, next time I'm in PA I'll have to look for it. I've heard great things about it.

Fat tire ale is about the only non-monounsaturated 'fat' allowed on my diet. Good stuff.

has anyone had teh Monty Python Ale yet... I saw that for the first time in Boston... I meant to grab a six pack but was overly excited about the bourbons I was buying and forgot... dee-dee-dee

I purchased a pint of it on draft back in late October and I found that it was nothing spectacular and just a novelty.

The best part was the neat ceramic goblet that it came in .

(That's not my auction, I just linked there for the photos)

has anyone had teh Monty Python Ale yet... I saw that for the first time in Boston... I meant to grab a six pack but was overly excited about the bourbons I was buying and forgot... dee-dee-dee

M,

I've had the Holy Grail Ale a couple of times and it's pretty good stuff. Definitely nothing special, but enjoyable enough..very English (if THAT makes any sense). Sorry I missed you tonight, hope you guys had a good time.

the grail would make it better... and I understand the "very english" sytle.... we are the knights that say nee

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.