What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's not what I've got, though. I've got the 2007 version of the regular Harvest Ale. The neck band says it is made with "wet" (their quotes) hops picked on one day.

It's last year's version of the same beer; they just moved the "wet" from the fine print to the main label.

I found a picture. It lost a little resolution when I uploaded it, but on the end of the first line of the neck label you can see "wet", and the middle of the second line says "undried".

I'm disappointed that they've changed the definition of "fresh" to match what they want to do. I'm also disappointed that they are bottling the Chico Estate Harvest, which makes it less cool to have had it.

The thing in their press release that really bothers me is this:

"Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. was founded in 1980 and is one of America’s first microbreweries."

Change that "is" to a "was" and I've got no problem with it. Unlike Sam Adams, I don't think they've tried to pass themselves off as a microbrewery in the past.

This is all very disappointing.

The Harvest Ale is still very good, and I'm going to go look for some Torpedo.

Drinking one of my Favorites tonight Fullers London Porter a great Porter and with the cold weather a perfect time to drink it!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

--------------------------------------------

I'm drinking Smuttynose Robust Porter from the kegerator. Very nice but after a few days in a row I'm getting a bit tired of it. Hopefully my enthusiasm will be renewed on Friday!

Last Night it was Old Fezziwig Ale from Samuel Adams a Dam good Winter Ale that can only be gotten with the Holiday Pack each year!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------

I went to the Issaquah Brew House and had a sampler which included a Chipotle Ale, they will stick peppers in anything these days! It was an interesting Ale. The flavor of the Chipotle's really came through and gave the Ale a nice heat in the background. I did enjoy it but would not have wanted a big glass.

Much more to my liking was Dads Little Helper,a Malt liquor.

:toast:

While out in SoCal this week, I got to enjoy a few very nice beers. My hotel bar had Fat Tire Ale on tap. Very enjoyable. Realized last week that the Stone Brewery is in the same town, Escondido, as one of my customers. His company is basically right around the corner from Stone. So we went there for lunch, after our meeting. What an absolutely cool place! Had a Levitation, and the almond tilapia. Both were excellent. But, I should have ordered the Mac n Cheese, like my customer did. He gave me a try, and Holy Moly, was it good.

BTW, I have to say how impressed I was with the whole experience at Stone. The landscape is simply stunning. Good food in the restaurant. Indoor and outdoor seating. Beautiful women...everywhere. Just fantastic. Beer ain't too shabby, either. ;)

I picked up a bottle of the Sierra Nevada 2008 Harvest Ale, today. It's one terrific beer. What a beautiful nose on this one. I swear I get roses here.

Wonderful amber color. And, I have to say, that the head on this beer is absolutely the most awesome that I have ever seen. It is almost like a mochaish colored shaving cream on top of the brew. Chunks of it hung on the side of my glass. I have made a point to make sure I rinse out the glass tonight, lest I might need to chisel the residue off the glass tomorrow. Very, very good.

Tonight I had some Walt Wit Made by Philadelphia Brewing in Phila a very nice Belgian Stye Beer. And A Bottle of Victory Lager from Victory Brewing!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

I picked up a bottle of the Sierra Nevada 2008 Harvest Ale, today. It's one terrific beer. What a beautiful nose on this one. I swear I get roses here.

Wonderful amber color. And, I have to say, that the head on this beer is absolutely the most awesome that I have ever seen. It is almost like a mochaish colored shaving cream on top of the brew. Chunks of it hung on the side of my glass. I have made a point to make sure I rinse out the glass tonight, lest I might need to chisel the residue off the glass tomorrow. Very, very good.

Joe,

You are telling me that you were less than 30 minutes away from my town and did not let me know? Bad, very very bad.

Joe,

You are telling me that you were less than 30 minutes away from my town and did not let me know? Bad, very very bad.

OOPS! :o I figured enough people had dented your kegerator. :) I get out there a couple of times a year. Hopefully, we can hook up for a drink on one of my next trips. Do you ever get over to Stone? I was really impressed with it.

On the 25th Stone had their Winter Storm, Lots of aged and rare beer. I had quite a few samples dating back to 2001. Which in the beer world makes it ancient.

I attended the Indiana Brewers WinterFest on Sat...nearly every brewery in IN was represented, and they all brought Cask-Conditioned versions of their brews or Cask-Conditioned special brews just for the occasion....it was an excellent event, if a bit crowded...okay, you could barely move through the throngs of people.

...for some reason it seems that the more remotely located the brewery the better beer they had on offer...I can't quite explain why, but it just seemed that way...they also had a cornhole event going on during the tasting...I'll try to remember to post some pics of the crowd later.

I think I finally figured out the appeal of cornhole: it's less dangerous for drinkers than horseshoes.

Let's see...a couple nights ago it was Prima Pils and an Abyss '08. Yesterday I had Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout on cask at the Great Divide Tap Room, along with some Hades.

Tonight it looks like BSG on TV and Three Philosophers in the glass.

Still working on a variety case of Dundee (NY state produced) beers...tonight it is their wheat beer....seems like a decent version...not too hoppy...nice bready aroma.

http://dundeebeer.com/home.php

"Dundee Wheat Beer combines wheat and yeast into a refreshing hefeweizen-style brew. Unfiltered, so it is slightly cloudy and pleasantly unclear."

Just found out Dundee is part of a family of labels by

http://www.highfalls.com/

Dundee Ales & Lagers

Cream Ale

Genesee

Imperial

Steinlager

Toohey's

Thwaites

Seagram's Escapes

Seagram's Smooth

I am not familiar with these.....East coast beers?

Dark Horse Brewing Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock.

I'm drinking it as a beer back to the BOTM, both are good.

Will

"Perkulator" is one of my favorite beer names: It combines both the coffee and the "-ator" traditional dopplebock suffix.

The Perkulator is very good. I was delightfully pleased. A must try if you like doppelbocks. It was also reasonable priced at about $1.75/bottle.

just finished off a nice Walt Wit belgian style ale from philly...

now that it's the Super Bowl, i do what i also do...i drink Budweiser...then only time of the year i usually do...being away from it for so long, i get 'flavor' though light it be....!

what made this bottle better was i did the beer-back.....a good swallow of Weller Antique....then the Bud....very sweet and a nice pair together.

by the time i get to bottle #15 or so of this case (in about 2 days....), i'll be sick of Bud and i'll hope some friends help me polish it off....:rolleyes: :grin:

I did have a Brooklyn black chocolate stout from last year with my dessert tonight. The new vintage will be realised tomorrow on the Swedish government store.

Leif

just finished off a nice Walt Wit belgian style ale from philly...

now that it's the Super Bowl, i do what i also do...i drink Budweiser...then only time of the year i usually do...being away from it for so long, i get 'flavor' though light it be....!

what made this bottle better was i did the beer-back.....a good swallow of Weller Antique....then the Bud....very sweet and a nice pair together.

by the time i get to bottle #15 or so of this case (in about 2 days....), i'll be sick of Bud and i'll hope some friends help me polish it off....:rolleyes: :grin:

I got my new 12-pack of Budweiser for the Super Bowl, too. SB and Bud go together, like Peas and Carrots. I drink it all year, though. I'll have no trouble finishing off what I don't hit tonight. Hopefully, there be some left after tonight. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.