Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At Labrot & Graham last week we tasted this Bourbon and I found it delightfull, a must have. Mike Veach said the Party store on Hurstborne lane had 12 bottles. I was broke. A week later with a little change in my pocket , all the liquor Barns were out of it ( They own the Party Source) I called several places . I found a place that had had it but sent it back because it wasn't moving. A quick call to the store it was sent to and it had moved by now. I called liquor stores all over Louisville for 2 days finally I called Evergreen Liquors in Middletown Ky ( High Rent side of Louisville, well one of them) They had 6 bottles . Yee Ha! I relieved them of a couple , Life is good ! grin.gif

I read the little thingy on the bottle and while they plan to do a Birthday Bourbon every year from now on , this whiskey will never be again. What a predicament, we have too many whiskies chasing our free dollars, Not complaining mind you...................... smirk.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
ooo.gifACK! Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon! For the love George Garvin Brown say it ain't so! There aren't enough tears in heaven for this fine one of a kind bottling. frown.gif

Thh good news is that each year's birthday bourbon will be different -- and likely delightful. I think we can consider ourselves lucky for having sampled this one. And you, my friend, very lucky for having a bottle in your possession.

Now... do you mind telling what it cost? I, too, after the trip to Frankfort was counting my pennies and decided not to try to find one of those bottles last week. I assumed this one would be pricey! I'll be distraught if you tell me it was only $20.

This one is a very reasonably priced treasure, mid to high 30, depending on who you ask. I almost let this one slip by but was able to recover. I will find some way to celebrate each September 2 in years hence. Most likely scurrying the liquor stores before it's all gone! This stuff is good enough to pawn a guitar over! grin.gif

Marvin got hold of 2 OF birthday bottles while at the festival...paid $31 for each.

Too bad Lincoln and Chris aren't bottling the 110 proof 'new whiskey' we tasted at L/G.

Omar

C'mon Omar, they are creating new stuff faster than I can keep up. Marvin is all over it 2 bottles! and 31 damn . I still need to get sazerac and eagle rare, they will take a back seat to the new Stagg. cool.gif

• 2 months later...

... then you may want to get in touch with Cranberry Liqours , whose website lists Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, just as though it were an everyday commodity. (They also list George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve.)

I happened upon this information quite by chance while searching for information about a completely different bottling. My heart soared at seeing the listing; then it sank when I saw the statement that local law prohibits them from delivering outside of Carroll County. Sigh...

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

That's the same problem I have found while trying to find a few bottles I was in need of. Often when I find a small place that has something listed in stock I need they will not ship due to either legal limitations or because they are just afraid... Rather frustrating...

• 1 month later...

Omar- just found time to go thru the forum, sure glad to hear you found a couple of bottles of BB. That bourbon is getting hard to come by! As for the new bourbon - 110 - I think you are talking about the pot stilled. If so, I am glad you liked it. As for me, it was absolutely the worst, except maybe one, that I have ever tasted!

Cheers,

Marvin

Hi Marvin!

No, I didn't care so much for the pot still either. I'm talking about the 'white dog' we tasted at L & G. That was superb.

Talk soon,

Omar

• 1 year later...

Cranberry Liquors is a very nice boutique store that carries just about every premium bourbon that can be distributed in Maryland.I last visited the store in December

2003 and purchased their last bottle of Stagg 03( they

only received 3 bottles). I noticed they still had on the

bourbon display a few bottles of OFBB 89. Just goes to show

how unknowledgeable most Marylanders are.

Cranberry also honors the Malt Advocate card, giving a 10%

discount to members. Not bad! Very nice people .

• 3 months later...

I am in WV now. Dad had a fall and broke his hip. :-(

But, to help out my friends in NC, I stopped at a store and bought five bottles of GTS, 2003. I got there at closing time and was rushed out of the store. I saw that they had 5 bottles of Birthday Bourbon. I took a quick look and saw no distinguishing marks. How do I tell 2002 vs. 2003 spring vs. 2003 fall? I may go back tomorrow.

The vertical 'ribbon' that extends up the neck, over the cork and down the other side (under the plastic capsule, of course) will state the 'vintage'. Look right above the circular tape around the neck with 'George Gavin Brown' in script.

Also, look at the large "Old Forester" lettering on the front of the bottle. To the left is either "Fall" or "Spring". To the right is "1990". This is the 2003 bottling.

The 2002 bottling has no such designation. It was distilled in 1989. As Tim said you can also read the neckband.

Here's a funny one for you. I had put my OFBB Spring 1990 in my computer system wrong. I entered it as a 12 bottle case instead of 6. First guy who bought it, I rang it up as $20. I smiled and told him, "Happy Birthday, I just screwed up. Enjoy!" I corrected the price after he left. He came back two days later and told me he didn't even like it. banghead.gif

As my dear ol granny used to say:

It's all a matter of taste.

In his case, a lack of it. smilielol.gif

• 3 months later...

LeNell,

Just received their e-mail. My order has been in for a few weeks. No telling the date my order will be filled. I assume we can purchase some at the Festival. Will it be available in Ky stores in time?

Last year there was plenty to be had in KY during the festival. Hell, you can still find the Spring release from last year on the shelves at Liquor Barn.

• 2 months later...

Finished up a bottle of Buffalo Trace over the weekend (good stuff), so it was time to open something new. Decided on the OFBB Spring 1990, since I'd never had it before. Anyway, don't know what I'd been waiting for -- really a very nice whiskey, deep, smooth, complex, lots of flavor and Bourbon character. Seemed to drink fine straight up -- no ice or water needed. Still available locally for $27, and a reasonable value at that, so will be buying more. (The latest bottling (Fall '95?) runs for $35+, which doesn't make sense considering the earlier versions are still around for less.)

fwiw, although I didn't do a direct comparison, I think the Buffalo Trace was almost as good, and it only costs $20ish.

Cheers

Interesting -- I did about the same thing Saturday night, replacing a depleted bottle with the 1989/2002 OFBB. Although I'd had a taste of it once before, I was delighted with its bourbonish-w/out-alcohol-burn sense, and dark flavors. I'll tease this one along with several other open bottles until it's about 2/3s gone, then will open another of the Birthday Bourbon renditions to compare side-by-side. Who knows, maybe I'll try it with all four.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.