BOTM, 1/09: Weller Antique

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This stuff is my regular pour..like it on the rocks with a splash. Also like it in the 1.5L bottle(because it's THAT regular!). Also like the 10yo Van Winkle 107.

Drink the Weller 12 and Evan Williams Single Barrel neat.

My cabinet is never out of this fine wheater for very long. I got Larrys last bottle yesterday for $17.95. He's directly across the street from my work. Aint I lucky?

J.W.

Thanks again Jeff. Weller Antique is one of my favorite everyday pours. It reminds me of the three bears story."This bourbon is too sweet. This bourbon is to spicy.This bourbon is juuuust right!" Gotta love it. Joe

I like Weller 107. I'll usually have it with an ice cube or two (in the summer) or with a splash of water.

It's really a great value, which is a big factor in why I like it so much. It's probably my favorite Weller/VW, tho I do have a Weller 12 y/o in the cabinet ready to be cracked when I finish something else. Great pick.

I agree with most of what has been said. Simply a great everyday whiskey. I like it with a little splash and it is just fine drinking. This bottle is one of the main reasons I've decided there is no reason to chase high priced bottles. And if a friend wants to mix it, I don't have a heart attack because of the price.

This is one I hadn't tried until I saw it was BOTM. WOW was I missing out! This is a great bourbon at a great price. I may even have found a new goto bottle. Its got good flavor and for 107 proof goes down amazingly smoothly.

Tell us how you prefer your Weller Antique?!

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

"Neat" in a Ridel Spirit glass! I have a gold veined bottle open thanks to a sb.com member in Texas!

Dawn

Grabbed a bottle this morning. It's been a long time since I've had this.

As it turns out, I'm spending my MLK holiday dealing with computer crashes and draining the OWA.

All in all... it could be much worse.

I wanted to try an value 'Wheater' and since its the BOTM, I picked up a bottle. I really enjoyed it. The 107 proof is deceptive because its so smooth. I think this one made my team.

Besides being a good value pour, it's a good "return to" bourbon. I sometimes get so involved trying/buying other bourbons, that I will lose track of my Weller Antique. When I decide to go back and have a pour, it's always there like the old reliable that it is. Great, consistent taste. Easy on the palate and the pocket book. Welcome back.:rolleyes: Joe

I cracked open a new bottle for tonight. It isn't as sweet on the finish as I last remembered but since I'm still recovering from this cold its probably just my taster that's not up to snuff. Its realy too bad this stuff isn't a well bourbon in a lot of bars, or at least one of the cheapest calls. I've never seen it in a bar

Bought some yesterday. At $24 a bit higher than most seem to be paying, and I really didn't know what to expect being completely unfamiliar with the Wellers. Well worth it, though ... a healthy dose of corn sweetness offset by the very manageable proof. Tried it neat (the way I drink most bourbon). Tasty and surprisingly smooth. Definitely added to my short list of affordable favorites!

wondering what everyone pays for this....used to be 17.99 in pa ( i think, or was it $16.99?!! )...now it's a dollar more....and yes, a bargain for sure.

i, too, forget about it and always delighted to return to it. a true go to.

my go to list grows and it includes Weller Antique, WT101 Rye, Ezra B 12...Benchmark might be if the next bottle impresses...

I have really liked my older bottles of Old Weller Antique. The newer versions seem to be more muted than past bottles. Each new one I try seems a little farther away from the SW profile. I would really like to see all the wheated producers lower their barrel entry proof for some special versions in the future for comparisons sake. From what I have learned lower proof in the barrel will age a bourbon faster than at a higher proof. Which, if were the case, would mean that today we are getting a younger 7/107 than before 1984 when the barrel proof was lower. Plus, the fact that the glut was in full effect. Makes me wonder how old the older versions would be in todays math....yesterdays 7/107 would be todays 10/107 or 15/107?

Well, if you can find an older bottle...it is sure worth it.

I like Weller Antique alot. I'm not a very analytical drinker (like I just posted in another thread.) It's the only weater I've had since I really liked bourbon. I should try it up against some others. At any rate it tastes great and the bottle disappears fast. Even my wife drinks it (which is not common.)

The Weller is just okay for me, not very special. I did enjoy it. Good for a wheater and the price is nice for a 107. It did pique my interest in wheaters, though, and I'm hoping to try this year's BTAC Weller. I'll need to find some outside of NH, though, our stock is gone.

Cheers!

I like Weller Antique but I like all the other Wellers better.

I reserve the right to change my opinion.

I picked up an Old Weller Antique 107 yesterday and I have been comparing it to my Weller 12yo.

OWA107 wins.

I reserve the right to change my opinion.

I picked up an Old Weller Antique 107 yesterday and I have been comparing it to my Weller 12yo.

OWA107 wins.

Oscar, I appreciate your opinion and insight, but to me Weller 12 is in a completely different league than OWA. I am slowly getting to where I prefer higher proof pours neat, but to me OWA trades character for proof in a comparison with Weller 12. I do prefer OWA to the Weller Special Reserve, but I love the syrupy-sweet characer Weller 12 offers. At similar proofs, OWA simply falls apart.

I cant wait to try to WLW barrel proof. I think I may just fall off my chair with that experiance.

Agree with Mozilla that OWA is not what it used to be, but, frankly, that could be said for a lot of brands. It's still a great choice for the price, and much to our surprise, the last Weller 12 (an old favorite) we had didn't hold up to it - the distinctive sweetness gave way to a "mediciny" tone that wasn't pleasant.

... but to me Weller 12 is in a completely different league than OWA.

... to me OWA trades character for proof in a comparison with Weller 12.

... I love the syrupy-sweet characer Weller 12 offers.

The OWA seems to have a much larger range today in taste than it once did (speculation, not based on scientific data).

The current one that I have is very good. not near as good as the PS bottle, but very happy good... blows the doors of the Weller 12s I have had.

Yeah, I agree Em.

Maybe the OWA107 has been improved. This recent bottle is much better than the one I had about 14 months ago.

And the Weller 12yo that I have open is very thin.

I picked one up earlier in the week. Although it is not my favorite, it is better than I remember.

Quite possibly one of the best $20 bourbons out there.

it's still January! and, ah, i got the last bottle at my local store...still on sale, too, for $18.99...that last one went too fast...wonderful stuff. a true go-to...

Oh, I knew this was a good week to come back to this board! OWA is a staple in my cabinet and I will drink a mighty pour of it tonight in honor of straightbourbon.com!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!