Whiskey Baron Homes

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://namethispeorialandmark.blogpeoria.com/2006/12/16/112/

112 - Samuel Woolner House

Nice home....has kind of a Addams family look.

http://namethispeorialandmark.blogpeoria.com/2007/11/11/204/

http://namethispeorialandmark.blogpeoria.com/2006/10/14/96/

204 - Greenhut Mansion Carriage House

Wow, what a structure.....see the 2nd link. It has been converted into

apartments for rent...35 rooms...as of 6/05:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-133209888.html

"We've got seven units available," said Bobbitt, noting that three tenants remain while the remodeled apartments rent from $450 to $1,400 a month, the latter a large third-floor apartment with a view of the river once crowded with distilleries."

http://www.peoriamagazines.com/aa/2005/aug/art-history

Submit your favorite Whiskey Baron homes.....

I may actually have driven by this one. My Vets' office, Whitney Veterinary Hospital, is located on Sheridan Road.

Incidentally, I highly recommend them. Doctors Robert Whitney and Marie France Baker did an excellent and professional job on the removal of Duke's polypoid growth and lateral ear resections last year. Follow up care was excellent, as well.

Brad, do you know if any of the old distillery district buildings are still standing? The ones that pre-date the big Walker / Seagrams plant....any 19th century warehouse or other buildings left and converted?

Any trace of Woolner, Greenhut etc.?

P.S. Here was a local tasting event for you this past Nov.

http://www.bradleyscout.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=215:a-tasting-we-will-go&catid=2:uncategorized-voice&Itemid=2

Friday, 07 November 2008 00:00 Alex Bahler

Inside a Peoria whiskey tasting

Is Friar Tuck one of the better liqour stores for bourbon in the area?

I don't know a whole lot about Peoria. I live quite a bit north west. I'm far more familiar with the Quad Cities, Galesburg and kewanee areas. But I do get down to Peoria at least once a month to pick up my dog's Cyclosporin eye medicine, and when I do, I stop at Friar Tucks. Yes, they are one of the better stores in the area. The best, realy. In Peoria, there is another place on War Memorial Drive that I can't remember the name of, their selection is almost as good. They actually have a few things Friar Tuck's doesn't have, like Hirsch rye. That store conducts regular spirit tastings. Beyond that, for anyone living in rural northwestern ILL. or driving through, your best bet is any number of the larger Hy-Vee grocery stores or their separate Hy-Vee Wine and Spirit locations.

I grew up in Silvis.....left the QC for college and never moved back...but not too far either.....spent years in Bloomington-Normal, one year in Peoria and Des Moines, IA....ended up in Far NW Chicago area. Fortunately, we have Binnys and other good liquor stores near by. For grocery stores...Jewel always has had a nice liquor section.

Back on the subject of whiskey baron homes, when I'm in Lawrenceburg, KY, I like to drive down the main drag, where there are a number of proud Victorians that were mostly built by the Anderson County whiskey barons. Even Bardstown doesn't really have that, nor does Louisville, which had whiskey barons but also barons who made their fortunes in other ways.

Arghh!!!

What Beam calls "The Jeremiah Beam Home" is actually the master distiller's house, as it sits on the distillery property at Clermont. Beam calls it "the Jeremiah Beam House" because they like to pretend that the only Beams are the ones in Jim's direct line. I don't know exactly who lived there when, and no doubt Jere lived there at one time, but the longest occupant was probably Carl "Shucks" Beam, the father of Baker and David Beam. I believe his father, Park Beam, Jim's brother, lived there before that. It was common for the master distiller to live on the property and it was Park and his children and grandchildren who made the whiskey.

Of all the ways Beam screws with history, this one bugs me the most.

I guess that goes back to my question...are there any similar KY bourbon family / baron mansions? I would assume there are some online photos somewhere.....if they exist..it would be odd if there weren't any in existence. Where did the KY whiskey $ go? The two Peoria homes may exceptional examples of the whiskey $ generated at that time in history.

Here is one: http://chapezehouse.com/mansion.asp

"Ben Chapeze, his son, completed the Chapeze House mansion in 1810. He developed the Chapeze Distillery in 1846 and his Bourbon brand, Old Charter, remains one of the world’s great Kentucky Bourbon whiskies."

http://chapezehouse.com/kybourbon.asp

Looks like a great place to stay...anyone have any experience there?

Stony Point Mansion - Blanton's would be another but I cannot find a photo.

There are plenty of them, just not in one big cluster except, as I mentioned, the strip in Lawrenceburg. Perhaps most notable is Berry Hill Mansion, in Frankfort, which was built with Old Crow money.

By comparison, Chapeze House isn't much, as it's a smallish row house right in the center of Bardstown. Much nicer is the house Jim Beam built a little north of there, where Booker lived and his widow still lives. Fred Noe lives in a more modest house next door.

The Berry Hill Mansion actually looks like a contemporary house - the styling is seen today in upscale neighborhoods....though it was built in 1900.

• 10 months later...

Chuck,

I do believe that the house at the Clermont distillery was built for the master distiller of the Churchill distillery before prohibition. Beam did not own the site until after prohibition.

Louisville has many homes of bourbon Barons. The JTS Brown House on Ormsby is for sale if you are interested.

Mike Veach

Churchill is Boston/Booker Noe. Clermont was Murphy, Barber. The Beams bought it during Prohibition and quarried gravel there. I don't doubt the so-called "Jere Beam House" was built pre-Beam. I never said anything about who built it or when, just that for most of the time Beam owned it it was the master distller's house. No doubt it was that during the Murphy, Barber era too.

• 2 months later...

This is a picture of J.W. Dant's home in Dant Station.

This is no mansion by today's standards but in the early-mid 1800's when it was built I'm sure it was a fine home.

post-5720-14489816381208_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of J.W. Dant's home in Dant Station.

This is no mansion by today's standards but in the early-mid 1800's when it was built I'm sure it was a fine home.

Yes the picture is from an old family album. Not sure when the picture was taken other than its before 1900. My great grandmother Catherine (Kate) Dant Beaven was born in this home in 1874. She was the youngest of 10 children.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for the listing of JTS Brown's home on Realtor.com but had no luck. It appears that the address is 414 Ormsby and there are a couple homes listed on that street. The prices of real estate in that area are surprisingly reasonable and the neighborhood looks nice. Something doesn't add up in my mind.

That's the Old Louisville neighborhood, which is between downtown and the University of Louisville campus. It is an area of wonderful 19th century homes, ranging from modest to majestic, but it is very much an urban neighborhood. One block will be very nice, with the homes wonderfully restored and well kept, while the next block is a slum. It's a relatively high crime area too. Louisville and Des Moines, Iowa, have the lowest housing costs of any major metropolitan areas. In Old Louisville, a house that seems under-priced probably has not been modernized, costs a fortune to heat, that sort of thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.