Distillery Glencairn

kickert
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am a huge fan of my glencairn whiskey glasses. Picked up my first one during my Buffalo Trace tour and my second one at the Bourbon Heritage Center. Both are branded by the specific distillery. I have found these to be excellent choices for tasting bourbon and they both were very reasonably priced when picked up at the distilleries. Plus both HH and BT offer multiple offerings based on their differenat labels. I love the differant logos because it makes my personal taste tests easier because I can remember which is which. (I put the one I expect to be best in the BT glass because I am a huge BT fan).

2 questions:

Do others enjoy their pours out of Distillery specific Glencairn glasses, or do you prefer the clear glasses?

Do other distilleries besides HH and BT offer brand specific Glencairn glasses?

Do others enjoy their pours out of Distillery specific Glencairn glasses, or do you prefer the clear glasses?

The thing that impresses me most about Glencairn (outside of the glass design itself) is that they hand-etch all smaller orders. A good match for the craft in the whiskey you're enjoying.

-A

Most of the distillery websites have Glencairns for sale, most of which only cover their signature brands.

I have only been able to find them from HH and BT. Do you know of others in particular.

Old Rip Van Winkle

Old Forester

and a ton of Scotches.

There are two versions. The crystal version, usually found clean, but the Old Forester is crystal, and the glass version, usually have a logos.

You can tell the difference by the sharpness at the lip. The round lip is glass, the squar lip is crystal.

For me... I woudl prefer that they were all labelless, but I never found glass ones without labels. All but 2 of the crystal have no labels for me.

Like Em, I have an Old Forester and Old Rip Van Winkle. The Old Forester is from the repeal gift set, and it is crystal. Whenever I try a new bourbon, I use one of my Glencairns. If I'm having a small pour, be it straight up, or with ice and/or water, I use one of my Four Roses tasting glasses. If I'm having a larger pour, or having a bourbon with Coke/pop, I have a rocks glass that's dimpled on the sides. The dimples help it fit perfect in my hand. If I'm having a McDonald's super sized pour, well, I have a great big iced tea tumbler. Cheers! Joe

There are two versions. The crystal version, usually found clean, but the Old Forester is crystal, and the glass version, usually have a logos.

You can tell the difference by the sharpness at the lip. The round lip is glass, the squar lip is crystal.

Very interesting, thanks for that info. I've got a few of the glass Glencairns from the HH tour a few years back. They're not my favorite glasses, but once in awhile I just have to have a pour in one when it feels right.

I've given a few of these away, and the two that remain are etched with Evan Williams and Elijah Craig logos. Nice to use the logos to differentiate between whiskies when I'm comparing with friends.

Cheers!

Some of the Glencairn glasses, if they are older, can be leaded-crystal.

They went to lead-free a few months ago.

If etched, they aren't necessarily glass. I emailed the distillary and the Van Winkle etched Glencairns are the older leaded-crystal.

Some of the Glencairn glasses, if they are older, can be leaded-crystal.

They went to lead-free a few months ago.

If etched, they aren't necessarily glass. I emailed the distillary and the Van Winkle etched Glencairns are the older leaded-crystal.

Really... I have a few of those. I think 3 of the Old Rip Van Winkles, but they do not look like crystal. They have the rounded glass style lip... ... thanks for the info.

And Merlin, we need to get together for drinks... you can sample though my glencairns with any bourbon you choose...

I was just doing research on these for my Examiner column and learned that Glencairn Crystal specializes in engraved glassware. They're essentially a high-end advertising specialties company more than a glassware company. They just happened to get lucky with this particular design.

You can tell the difference by the sharpness at the lip. The round lip is glass, the square lip is crystal.

Is there really any difference as far as the tasting of the bourbon. I have seen some tasting notes with both these glasses side by side and they had different notes for each glass. How can the material, or the shape of the lip of the glass really change the flavor of the bourbon? To stay on track with the thread, I got the OFRB glass with my set the other day. I likey.

And Merlin, we need to get together for drinks... you can sample though my glencairns with any bourbon you choose...

I appreciate the offer, but with life the way it is right now, I don't get out much.

Is there really any difference as far as the tasting of the bourbon. I have seen some tasting notes with both these glasses side by side and they had different notes for each glass. How can the material, or the shape of the lip of the glass really change the flavor of the bourbon? To stay on track with the thread, I got the OFRB glass with my set the other day. I likey.

There can be a remarkable diff. The Crystal will open up certain charicteristics that the glass will not.

This Christmas, i geve my dad two glasses of bourbon. One in the crystal and one glass glencairn. The Crystal opened up the 20 yr Old St Nick where is was hot, almost bitter. The nose was trash and so was the taste.

In the Glass it was smooth. Nice nose, very appoachable. Good bourbon.

I then told him it was the same bourbon. You really could not tell.

That has been the biggest diff with one bourbon to date, but the WTAS, WT8yr, Old Crow 10/86 from 1968 all had very noticable diffrences to the point of good vs bad boubon.

I appreciate the offer, but with life the way it is right now, I don't get out much.

Merlin, no worries. If you ever get into Vail, drop me a line. You are always welcome.

There can be a remarkable diff. The Crystal will open up certain charicteristics that the glass will not.

This Christmas, i geve my dad two glasses of bourbon. One in the crystal and one glass glencairn. The Crystal opened up the 20 yr Old St Nick where is was hot, almost bitter. The nose was trash and so was the taste.

In the Glass it was smooth. Nice nose, very appoachable. Good bourbon.

I then told him it was the same bourbon. You really could not tell.

That has been the biggest diff with one bourbon to date, but the WTAS, WT8yr, Old Crow 10/86 from 1968 all had very noticable diffrences to the point of good vs bad boubon.

Merlin, no worries. If you ever get into Vail, drop me a line. You are always welcome.

I'm sorry Em, but I just can't buy the different glass composition thing. :skep: Two Glencairns, with the only difference being that one is crystal, and one is glass? And, there is a "remarkable diff." in the tastes of the same whiskey in the two? Can't wrap my head around that one. I just can't see why this would be so. Are you sure that you didn't drop a little Bourbon Supreme in the bad glass, and Pappy 15 in the good glass? :D

I'm sorry Em, but I just can't buy the different glass composition thing. Two Glencairns, with the only difference being that one is crystal, and one is glass? And, there is a "remarkable diff." in the tastes of the same whiskey in the two? Can't wrap my head around that one. I just can't see why this would be so. Are you sure that you didn't drop a little Bourbon Supreme in the bad glass, and Pappy 15 in the good glass? :D

:)

The crystal really opens up a drink much faster due to all the rough edges..... you get very fast oxidation and you can send off more "negative" scents some times. Not always the case. I love many bourbon in the crystal, like the Julio’s Weller. It opens so damn nice in the crystal...

But, I can understand your skepticism... so I recommend we all concern at my place (did I mention it is around 70 deg, blue skies and lovely) and do some blind tasting. if we can get at least 9, that would be a good statistical base, but 18 would be even better :P

I was just doing research on these for my Examiner column and learned that Glencairn Crystal specializes in engraved glassware. They're essentially a high-end advertising specialties company more than a glassware company. They just happened to get lucky with this particular design.

Luck?!? Actually, (thinking...) there is some luck involved from the creative aspect, but I wouldn't state it as dumb-luck. That glass has very similar properties to Reidel's Cognac XO and also their Vinum Tulip. I use the Glencairn in-between those two and a few others for pulling out various components, but i have to say that the Glencairn is the most versatile glass in the line-up, due to it having broad mid-range capabilities. BB

I just can't buy the different glass composition thing. :skep: Two Glencairns, with the only difference being that one is crystal, and one is glass? And, there is a "remarkable diff." in the tastes of the same whiskey in the two? Can't wrap my head around that one. I just can't see why this would be so.

I am with Joe on this one. Cannot see how crystal vs. glass can dramatically change the taste.

The crystal really opens up a drink much faster due to all the rough edges..... you get very fast oxidation and you can send off more "negative" scents some times. Not always the case. I love many bourbon in the crystal, like the Julio’s Weller. It opens so damn nice in the crystal...

But, I can understand your skepticism...

But isn't the only rough edge on the lip of the glass? How do you get more oxidation from crystal than from the glass? I hate to sound like an idiot, but I just do not get it. I do not get a dramatic difference from my Glencairn(the OF, which I believe is crystal) vs. my Riedel bourbon glass(the Ouveture, which I think is glass). Maybe my taste is not as matured as others.

I am with Joe on this one. Cannot see how crystal vs. glass can dramatically change the taste.

But isn't the only rough edge on the lip of the glass? How do you get more oxidation from crystal than from the glass? I hate to sound like an idiot, but I just do not get it. I do not get a dramatic difference from my Glencairn(the OF, which I believe is crystal) vs. my Riedel bourbon glass(the Ouveture, which I think is glass). Maybe my taste is not as matured as others.

The are both crystal.

I noticed the first real diff with my reidels and some very similar glasses for port.

I am not going to tell you it always makes a diff. In truth, most the time there is not, but when there is, you can usually really tell.

What I recommend is when you find a bourbon that is just not right for you, try the glass or crystal with it to see if it changes. If it does, great you will be happy, if not, no loss.

I had given up on my WTAS because it just did not meet my taste profile. I had been using the Reidels. I by mistake poured a sample into the glass and was amazed how good it was. I thought I was off my rocker (which still may be the case), but I tried it in the Reidel again and... Yummmmy.

To go further into this rat hole, I have stacked up the Glass, Crystal and Lead Crystal now to see if I can detect any diff, and there is one. I do not have enough play with the three against enough bourbon, but with a woody/corky bottle of 1968 Old Crow it was easy to tell the diff.

The largest, most amazing diff has still been with that 20 year Old St Nick. That amazed me. And to Joe's point, it was like I poured to completely diff bourbons. If it was not for the fact the Old St Nick was the only bottle at the table, I would have thought I made a mistake.

I do always notice a diff with Four Forses. The crystal brings out even more floral (in a bid way to me).

Last point here, it is not the roughness at the lip that makes the difference. Glass has a smooth surface and crystal does not. Under a microscope crystal looks like the surface of snow on a field. Pits and sharp edges, etc.

The are both crystal.

I noticed the first real diff with my reidels and some very similar glasses for port.

I am not going to tell you it always makes a diff. In truth, most the time there is not, but when there is, you can usually really tell.

What I recommend is when you find a bourbon that is just not right for you, try the glass or crystal with it to see if it changes. If it does, great you will be happy, if not, no loss.

I had given up on my WTAS because it just did not meet my taste profile. I had been using the Reidels. I by mistake poured a sample into the glass and was amazed how good it was. I thought I was off my rocker (which still may be the case), but I tried it in the Reidel again and... Yummmmy.

To go further into this rat hole, I have stacked up the Glass, Crystal and Lead Crystal now to see if I can detect any diff, and there is one. I do not have enough play with the three against enough bourbon, but with a woody/corky bottle of 1968 Old Crow it was easy to tell the diff.

The largest, most amazing diff has still been with that 20 year Old St Nick. That amazed me. And to Joe's point, it was like I poured to completely diff bourbons. If it was not for the fact the Old St Nick was the only bottle at the table, I would have thought I made a mistake.

I do always notice a diff with Four Forses. The crystal brings out even more floral (in a bid way to me).

Last point here, it is not the roughness at the lip that makes the difference. Glass has a smooth surface and crystal does not. Under a microscope crystal looks like the surface of snow on a field. Pits and sharp edges, etc.

I guess this is why I do not notice much of a difference between the two glasses. I may try giving the VOB BIB a run again in one of these glasses vs a glass. Did not think about the crystal being rough like you described but that does make sense now. Thanks.

While this sounds maybe a bit far-fetched to me, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The way a whiskey opens up is a time based phenomenon in my opinion, but I can see how the nature of the glass could have an effect if the whiskey is in motion. Tell us more, very interesting stuff.

Cheers!

The are both crystal.

I did a side by side with my Riedel, Glencairn, and a rocks glass with some VOB BIB I have had difficulty getting through. I did notice with the first two, the bourbon did not have the taste I could not get through with the rocks glass. I tried this several times through the night and every time I had the same results. I will defenately stick to the crystal while drinking this one from now on. Thanks for the suggestion!

I found a crystal cognac glass tonight that I had forgotten about and will give it a try alongside a similar vessel made of glass tomorrow. Problem is, I don't have another glass that's exactly the same shape. This glass is a narrow wine glass shape, not a big, bulbous snifter. I may be able to find one close enough to do a pinhead comparison.

Actually, it may not be too much different in overall dimensions from the Glencairn. Hmmm...

I paid out the wazoo for the glass and don't use it much any more, as I prefer non-stemmed glasses. It is a very nice glass, though, so who knows, maybe I'll start using it again.

Interesting, fun topic.

Cheers!

I don't know why I didn't see this thread sooner. I checked and all of mine are glass. The one thing no one mentioned are the lids. I've never seen them in the US, but all Scottish glasses come with a lid. I was fortunate in that the bar manager at Ardbeg gave me a box of lids that people didn't want. I probably break about 10 lids for every glass I break. The lids make all the difference in the world in the taste of the whisk(e)y. It makes sense. Taste is a large part aroma. The lid really holds the aroma in the glass. If you don't believe me, cover your glass with a clean coaster and swirl it lightly just before drinking. Hold the glass in one hand until you get it near your face while holding the lid down. Then remove the lid with the other hand. The nose jumps at you. The difference in taste is amazing. At the gazebo I don't use lids, because as I said, I break them too easily, however a coaster in my back pocket works well when trying a premium.

EM, I'm with Joe in that I don't see how clean glass would be different than clean crystal. Next time I'm in AZ I'll contact you and let you give me a lesson. I never use soap on my glasses. Just rinse them well in hot water and dry them with a clean paper towel.

Next time I'm in AZ I'll contact you and let you give me a lesson.

Well, one of us will get some learning :D ... anytime... I have plenty of juice to educate ourselves on

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.