Garrison Brothers Distillery

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That should be "retard maturation" not "retard circulation" ... fat fingering makes me sond like the retard ...

• 9 months later...
Some how I missed this thread till now. Great pics. And I love the idea of using smaller barrels to start with, allowing 'em to get aged product out the door sooner.

I agree with Randy, "the customer he's chasing with his premium product is interested in the final product, not an age statement." Also, I would ad, the serious whiskey enthusiast, who would make up a significant percentage of his costumer base understands that smaller barrels mature faster because of the greater surface to volume ratio. It is maturity that matters, not age.

Last I heard, still filling barrels and waiting for the blessed day when they can start to dump and bottle.

They do post from time to time on their website.

Rumor is that a small ... select bottling will be forthcoming shortly ... I can't wait.....

Boy, I would like to try it. They better be extra careful with really long term aging in small barrels. It can get to much, too quick.

Rumor is that a small ... select bottling will be forthcoming shortly ... I can't wait.....

My mouth just began to water......

Boy, I would like to try it. They better be extra careful with really long term aging in small barrels. It can get to much, too quick.

Wow, sweet little set up you guys have there. If I ever see a bottle of your juice on a shelf around our parts (which seems highly unlikely) I will have to grab it and have me a taste.

:)

• 5 weeks later...

On the Garrison website blog, Dan says his first batch of Texas Bourbon Whiskey will be released on March 2nd - Texas Independence day.

http://blog.garrisonbros.com/

Limited release to 3 counties in Texas. I would probably be making a road trip if I did not already have plans on that day:smiley_acbt:

Better news - looks this Fall, it will be available across the state.

Congrats Dan!

I wish him luck with his Bourbon. Might be interested in tasting some eventually but I'm really not at all interested in the whole Texas is the center of the universe thing.

but I'm really not at all interested in the whole Texas is the center of the universe thing.

Too late!

Yes, it will be spendy, but no more than other products like the Hudson Whiskeys. Also, they plan to released full size 750ml as a standard product this Fall, which will be labeled Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey (TSBW).

I hope to have a bottle at our May get together in Houston for some "expert" opinions.

One year old Bourbon?

You could make 1 minute old bourbon. To be called bourbon, it just has to be stored for some amount of time in a new charred oak barrel (and meet all the other regs.) Of course, once used, even for a minute, that expensive oak barrel is now used cooperage.

Dan was using some smaller barrels to start with and it is probably closer to 2 years old. With the smaller barrels and the Texas heat, it is well aged.

It's good and it tastes like bourbon. The pre-release is one-year-old. The flagship will be two-plus. The pre-release is mostly to solidify his neighborhood base (micros need to be local first) and get some buzz going. The fall release will be the product he intends to keep supplying thereafter. He is, however, holding out barrels and trying different things (though all in the bourbon context), so expect special releases from time to time.

This is a wheated bourbon but has many of the characteristics I associate with rye or high-rye bourbon, a lot of spice and sparkle.

So what about the "must be aged for a minimum of two years in new, white oak barrels that have been charred" thing. Does this have something to do with the word "straight"?

So what about the "must be aged for a minimum of two years in new, white oak barrels that have been charred" thing. Does this have something to do with the word "straight"?

1 year 364 days 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds in new, charred white oak: bourbon

2 years in new, charred white oak: straight bourbon

Same for rye.

The joke in Kentucky is that if you take the white dog, pour it into a new, charred, white oak bucket, then immediately pour it out again, it's bourbon. Course the joke's on you because if you want to do it again, you need a new bucket.

An extreme longshot, I am sure...but if anyone can grab an extra or two of the pre-release, I'd do what I could to make it worth your while. Shoot me a line and let's see if we can cut a deal.

Thanks for the clarification. All these years I thought that a minimum age was involved to be called "Bourbon". If you look at the FAQ here it even makes it look that way. Well, now that we've got that straight.....

• 2 weeks later...

Randy & I made a road trip over to pick up our bottles today. I had reserved 3 bottles (Randy -1 , Wade -1 , and 1 to open for our group get together) before it was released and had my name on the list at Hye Spirits.

I emailed Dan Garrison yesterday to see if he would be around distillery. He replied yes and for us to stop by. A group of us SBers had made a trip to Hye about 1 year ago. Dan has been busy. He built a nice barn for a rick house and has kept the still going. After showing us around and explaining his fancy bottling line, he poured a sample of the product we just purchased along with a sample of the targeted profile for his normal full release in the Fall.

This first batch has bourbon under 2 years old, so it is not a Straight Bourbon. Dan selected 20 of his 10 gallon barrels for this bourbon. He had sample bottles out of all 20 barrels. They ranged very much in color and were from 1 year to 2 year old. Being aged in such small barrels in the Texas heat, I would guess this ages a factor of 5-6. So a 1 year old bourbon probably equates to what we would think is a 5 year bourbon. I enjoyed tasting this first release - it was fruity, but corn whiskey is still there and you could tell it was a little young. I'm no John Hansell so not going to put a number rating on this; I'll just say I'm glad I bought some. So are the others that snagged this - it sold out on Day 1. Only a handful of local stores received this. Randy & I called them all looking for extras for those here that had asked for some - sorry we had no luck.

Dan also poured us a sample of profile for the full release. Wow!!! From a nose of butterscotch to a fruity taste and a long finish, these is one fantastic bourbon. If final product hits this profile, which Dan knows it will, this is going be a home run.

Dan also said he plans on trying to come over for a day during our Houston get together to meet some of us SBers.

I'll second everything Wade said. We had a great trip. His "Pre-Release" is not going to be what he tries to do in his regular releases. It is youngish with some wood notes, a little butterscotch and a racy finish similar to white dog. Lots of corn flavors too. A fine first release.

More interesting was the "profile" bottling he shared with us. It will be the target for his release in October. Nose is full of butterscotch. That follows in the initial tastes without being overbearing or too sweet. The finish goes forever. This will be a must purchase if he can reproduce this in October!

Dan also talked about his still occasionally producing 2 to 3 gallons of "premium" white dog during the batch distillation that they are keeping separate and ageing separately. This is the first I have ever heard of someone tasting white dog at various intervals of the distillation process and separating the "best" from the "rest". I can't wait to taste the results from this experiment.

The new barn looks great and will be much better for his barrels than the shipping container used earlier. Lots of other things going on there too. Come to the gathering at my house in May and hear it from the horses mouth.

Randy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.