RR 6 yr Rye

leebo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just picked up a bottle of Russell Reserve 6 yr old Rye. Nice new packaging. Did The other expression have an age ststement on it? Will ty it soon.

Did The other expression have an age ststement on it? Will ty it soon.

Yep. In small print on the bottom of the front label, on the back label in the text describing the bottling and again on the right side of the front label positioned vertical. All in small print. The new label is handsomer. I would imagine the more prominent age statement is to correct what I reckon was seen as a defect.

Hmmm...nearly Feb and I've yet to see any of those in KY...must not be moving all that quickly...

Also, it should be noted that all Wild Turkey products under 100 proof are chill filtered. All products above 100 are not chill filtered.

I believe that too much flavor has been lost in the under 100 proof versions. For less money I will stick with my regular WT rye.

I have nothing good or bad to say about this rye...I am indifferent to it. I thought it was very light and grassy...not bad, but not worth the money...the 101 has much more flavor IMO. In a conversation I had with 'someone' from Sazerac they described the Russel's Reserve as "pedestrian"...I thought that was the perfect adjective to describe this non-descript rye.

The article states an MSRP of $24.99, but it's around $30 or more in my neck of the woods. I don't know whether it's understocking or the attractiveness of the current (soon to be former) bottle, but this RR stuff always seems to fly off the shelves around here while the Rare Breed and the KS languish.

That's the third redesign for the bourbon and second for the rye. I think they've found their niche (hint: it's not us) and now they're zeroing in on it. For one thing, you'll look in vain for the words "Wild Turkey." Russell's Reserve is now a brand in its own right.

I find the rye pretty similar to the Beam (ri)1, and a good alternative at $25 v. $45.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the new package in South Carolina stores this week. It does look pretty good.

Just an FYI, I moved this thread because it was in the Tastings forum and I didn't see any tasting notes here...

• 1 month later...

I just finished my first bottle of RR Rye and I only really liked the last two pours. For the money I will stay with the WT Rye 101, it's not that the RR Rye is bad it's just at $36 it's just not worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

During my recent visit to Lexington, I grabbed a bottle of this along with my other daily pour stock.

This has all the sweetness and floral qualities of a rye without the grassy, Saz hay notes.

I find it quite approachable and very easy drinking.

If you're a real rye fan, this will disappoint you.

If you're a lighter bourbon fan and want to drink pseudo-rye, then this is the route to go.

Its kind of a hybrid.

PS: My new Avatar is Jeff Holding THE WINNING TICKET from Churchill Downs. Unfortunately, not the Derby, but the Exacta on the Oaks. The cup has Derby Dirt in it.

BTW: Its everywhere ini Kentucky now.

• 5 weeks later...

I was thinking about posing a question regarding any possible changes to this juice. After it first came out I had a bottle and was disappointed.

I heard F. Paul Pacault on whiskycast today--he gave it high ratings.

So I was wondering if it has changed at all. Pepcycle's tasting notes seem to indicate it is the same as when I tried it.

I doubt I'll get one anytime soon, then. I'm really wishing it was different. I think the lack of grassy notes (as Pep said) is what killed it for me.

Reading these posts I think the word "Hybrid" is what most rings true to me.

I'm not in love with it, but it's really not bad at all. If it were a few bucks cheaper I would buy it alot more often.

RR Rye is selling for $36 in Iowa? Wow...it's $20 at Woodmans in Madison last I looked...same as the RR90 bourbon.

RR Rye is selling for $36 in Iowa? Wow...it's $20 at Woodmans in Madison last I looked...same as the RR90 bourbon.

$22 for either in KC area

ok....seems like i saved myself some bucks....will stick with good ole 101 rye...i don't want a hybrid!

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up for $24 at the state store today.

I gotta say, I like it. Not as bold and gutsy as its main competitor, Sazerac, but definitely more approachable for guys like me who don't have much of a choice when it comes to ryes-- we get Jim Beam, ri(1), Old Overholt, WT Rye 101, Sazerac, and now the RR (though, I suspect, not for long).

In all fairness, I think some of you guys are being overly-harsh-- this stuff is still too DRY and SPICY to be mistaken for a Bourbon.

Definitely a wiff of Wintergreen mint in the nose, with some nutmeg on the palette, and a bit of moss in the finish. Interesting stuff.

Would I buy it again?

At the $35 or so that other guys are getting it for, proabably not. At least, not over $26 Sazerac.

But, at $24, I'd scarf another one up in a heartbeat.

• 5 months later...

well, i'll eat, i mean, sip my words....it's no hybrid...and definitely worth the $25+...heck, this is WT...only the 80 proof bourbon will i avoid (buying)!

i'll try to do some tasting notes in the appropriate subforum

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.