BTAC Info Sheet Thread

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From what I understand there were no Weller 19 or WLW produced in 2003 or 2004...Weller 19 ran from 2000-02 and WLW from 2005-present.

I noticed the same thing when I was looking at my sheet. Was this the case in years past as well?

The BTAC Saz for the last several years (including this year) have come from the same batch that has been stored in tanks.

Tom

From what I understand there were no Weller 19 or WLW produced in 2003 or 2004...Weller 19 ran from 2000-02 and WLW from 2005-present.

The BTAC Saz for the last several years (including this year) have come from the same batch that has been stored in tanks.

Tom

So essentially there is no difference between the whiskey in the last several years? Or can it still change in storage tanks (i.e. Hirsch 16)?

So essentially there is no difference between the whiskey in the last several years? Or can it still change in storage tanks (i.e. Hirsch 16)?

Many here would say that Saz 18 is changing for the worse while in tank. I've said this before, but I cannot understand why anyone would tank a Rye. Bourbon yes, but not Rye.

Personally, I like this year's saz18. It does have a twang, but I don't get the heavy metal others complain about. It's okay by me.

Personally, I like this year's saz18. It does have a twang, but I don't get the heavy metal others complain about. It's okay by me.

It's not a note of "heavy metal" that I get, but rather a lack of vibrancy that one would normally get from a mature Rye straight from barrel. Saz 18 has the wonderful, underlying character of an old Rye, but with the onset of dementia, where all the parts don't click as they should. Tired and on a downward slide.

• 2 weeks later...
It's not a note of "heavy metal" that I get, but rather a lack of vibrancy ...
Well, that I did note. I've not had much experience with saz18, but I do have a 2001 that is OMG wonderful whereas this latest is not up to the same level. Maybe the same thing I've noted with some other premiums which seem more complex on opening but after they've sat a couple years seem to lose a little character. Maybe a volatile congeners issue??? Tanked stuff leaks??? Seems to me a sealed stainless tank would hold better than a wood barrel but who knows... it's not chemistry, it's magic.

It's not a note of "heavy metal" that I get, but rather a lack of vibrancy that one would normally get from a mature Rye straight from barrel. Saz 18 has the wonderful, underlying character of an old Rye, but with the onset of dementia, where all the parts don't click as they should. Tired and on a downward slide.
Well, that I did note. I've not had much experience with saz18, but I do have a 2001 that is OMG wonderful whereas this latest is not up to the same level. Maybe the same thing I've noted with some other premiums which seem more complex on opening but after they've sat a couple years seem to lose a little character. Maybe a volatile congeners issue??? Tanked stuff leaks??? Seems to me a sealed stainless tank would hold better than a wood barrel but who knows... it's not chemistry, it's magic.

Yep, that's why I've said they need to do one more bottling of it to get rid of it all before the stainless storage makes it any worse then move on and remove it from the BTAC. Tired of good whiskey going bad sitting in stainless tanks.

Just fyi guys, let's try to take tasting discussion to a different thread, this one is supposed to be strictly about info. One of these days I'll get around to cleaning it all up.

Can anyone send or post a link to where I can get the fact sheet for the 2010 Stagg? I bought a couple of bottles for someone and he's going to give them as gifts and wanted some information to include about the bottles with the gifts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched this thread and others on the forum and couldn't come up with any of the 2010 sheets.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looked right past it because it wasn't labeled. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Here's the Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18 and Handy sheets for 2010

Thanks for the excellent information. I would assume that the Sazerac 6 yr. has the same mashbill.

I am wondering the proportion of the rye (large grain), corn (small grain), and malted barley (finish grain) in Sazerac Rey. I know that the rye has to be at least 51%, but I suspect the % to be much higher.

Any insights as to the proportion of the 3 grains?

Thanks very much.

Hidden
The Saz 18 and TH Handy are entirely differnt mashbills. Different distilleries, for that matter. The history and background of Saz 18 is in here, somewhere. The Saz Jr. 6 yr is from the same mashbill as the Handy, however. And both are BT whiskey.
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone know when the 2011 Collection will be released? I've heard that this collection is usually released around the first of October. Is that about right?

Anyone know when the 2011 Collection will be released? I've heard that this collection is usually released around the first of October. Is that about right?

That's been my experience.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Pa and just ordered GTS, Saz 18, and LR Weller from state online store. Looking forward to a good fall/winter.

don't want to rain on your parade but the chance of that happening is slim....I would still stalk the stores and get on the managers good side if you want any.

In Pa and just ordered GTS, Saz 18, and LR Weller from state online store. Looking forward to a good fall/winter.

Liquor Barn tweeted this earlier today:

NOW available @ Hamburg Liquor Barn: Sazerac Rye 18yr, Eagle Rare 17yr, George T. Stagg, William L. Weller & Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye!

By the time I got there still had some Stagg, Eagle Rare was gone, and just 1-2 bottles of the other 3.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.