BTAC Info Sheet Thread

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am ready to liquidate my BTAC collection. I just don't like the stuff. Except for Handy... Mmmm Handy I love you

I am ready to liquidate my BTAC collection. I just don't like the stuff. Except for Handy... Mmmm Handy I love you

:slappin: I was thinking this week that I must be crazy that I wasn't finding the BTAC to be as good as it is made out to be. But we are still in the minority in this thinking.

I like all of them, but won"t be going out of my way to buy any more. Originally purchased two of each. In hindsight wish I would have only purchased one and spent my money trying something different.

:slappin: I was thinking this week that I must be crazy that I wasn't finding the BTAC to be as good as it is made out to be. But we are still in the minority in this thinking.

I like all of them, but won"t be going out of my way to buy any more. Originally purchased two of each. In hindsight wish I would have only purchased one and spent my money trying something different.

Set the sealed bottles to the back of your bunker and leave them there for a couple of years or so. When your palet changes over time go back and re try them. Or in a couple of years they maybe great trade bait.

The only truly "limited" BTAC is the Saz 18 - since it's not made anymore. When it's gone, it's gone.

The others are all "readily" available, the output (in terms of bottles) goes up every year. Heck, there's NO reason the THH shouldn't be a year-round release at a lower price.

That said, I love the two Ryes - Handy & Saz18 are some of my favorite drinks. I do enjoy the GTS, too - and will continue to support it. But the WLW & ER17 don't do much for me. The WLW I've actually discovered that I *made* myself like it - when I really didn't care for it that much. I actually prefer OWA 7/107 or even W12... go figure.

I think nearly a decade of "limited" and highly allocated BTAC releases have left many of us, justifiably, jaded. We've also found better buys (flavor & pricewise)

Further proof that even though something is "rare" or "coveted" doesn't mean that there's not a nice, readily available bottle of 4R SB on the shelf for $35 that won't be every bit (more?) enjoyable than something you pay 2x as much for, burn gallons of gas, call in favors, and stress about getting enough of...

Buy the THH - it's usually available most of the year if you do some calling. Uncut, it's worth 2 bottles of the other stuff - and priced accordingly. It's also damn good. Among my favorite American whiskey's (assuming you like Rye, of course)

Then buy more 4R. You'll be happier, and richer.

Tim, the four bottles of Handy on my shelf look quite sexy now that I've pulled down the rest of my BTAC for liquidation.

The only truly "limited" BTAC is the Saz 18 - since it's not made anymore. When it's gone, it's gone. ....

Excuse me if I missed some of the discussion on the various threads - but I'm a bit confused.) Are you saying that Sazerac 18 year old is not being made any longer? I just saw a 11/29/2011 review that said that this year's release is very similar to last year's release (and, of course, gave it a high rating).

The current stock for Saz 18 was from a batch or batches that were laid down in the early 80s. What remains has been stored in steel tanks for the last several years to arrest further aging.

(we just had a rather interesting discussion about its provenance over on the "Sazerac Rye mashbill" thread--start at post #20)

Excuse me if I missed some of the discussion on the various threads - but I'm a bit confused.) Are you saying that Sazerac 18 year old is not being made any longer? I just saw a 11/29/2011 review that said that this year's release is very similar to last year's release (and, of course, gave it a high rating).

Yes - what's in the tank is all that's left. Sazerac is aging Rye at present, but it's a few years before they'll have anything even to replace the Pappy 13 year (not that it will be the same, they'll just fill the bottles with it and call it Pappy Rye 13). So even longer before there is an 18 year.

Nobody is really clear on how much is left, and if it's going to go south in the tanks - some folks say definitively it already has gone down hill. To me, the last four years have all been +/- 5% as good as each other - which is excellent! Same with Pappy Rye - all that's left is tanked.

Once they go through what is stored in steel, it's over & done. The current stocks simply have to age up to be a legit replacement (relative to age - not quality, most likely).

Tim, the four bottles of Handy on my shelf look quite sexy now that I've pulled down the rest of my BTAC for liquidation.

EVERYTHING BUT HANDY MUST GO!!! (I'm just glad to have salvaged a Saz 18... still love that one!).

I love GTS and have tried purchased it for a few years now. That being said, it is my opinion that the 2011 Stagg is a bit of a letdown.

Not to say it is bad whiskey, it is still head and shoulders above most, it just does not meet the mythical hype this go 'round. I disagree with the Hansell review and find the Drinkhacker review to be on the money. The finish is overly dry and woody and the overall satisfying hint of sweetness that was evident in previous years is just not there.

I am hoping 2012 picks back up where 2010 left off.

Picked up a bottle of the William Larue Weller. I find the nose to be freakin phenomenal if you dig the sweeter side of bourbon, dark brown sugar pecan pie with some dark cherries thrown in. Barrel strength is a bit too strong for my tastes for sipping, so I add some water, which takes down the intensity and shows some underlying corn and spice. I like it a lot, not as much as (last year's) Pappy 15 ...

Full notes comparing it to Pappy 15 at: http://www.thirstysouth.com/2011/12/08/pappy-van-winkle-vs-william-larue-weller/

I love GTS and have tried purchased it for a few years now. That being said, it is my opinion that the 2011 Stagg is a bit of a letdown.

The finish is overly dry and woody and the overall satisfying hint of sweetness that was evident in previous years is just not there.

Aaron, how long have you had the GTS bottle open? I wonder if the oxidation really helps this one open up. I wish my bottle had the flavors you are getting and i will keep my fingers crossed air and time change the character a bit. Interesting you are finding the 2011 to have more sweetness than the 2010.

To me it is the opposite. The 2009 and 2010 (it has been too long since I have had 2008 to give a fair comp) were great pours right after opening and exhibited that little extra bit of richness on the palate and that nice sweet finish I enjoy.

I wish my bottle had the flavors you are getting and i will keep my fingers crossed air and time change the character a bit. Interesting you are finding the 2011 to have more sweetness than the 2010.

To me it is the opposite. The 2009 and 2010 (it has been too long since I have had 2008 to give a fair comp) were great pours right after opening and exhibited that little extra bit of richness on the palate and that nice sweet finish I enjoy.

I didn't mean to say the 2011 is sweeter, just that the sweetness present is more marshmallow-y. I guess by that I mean somewhat foamy and diffuse rather than more concentrated like the 2010. A different kind of sweetness, but I certainly didn't mean to characterize it as sweeter.

You're making me want to pop open my holder-over 2010 bottling to directly compare.

Btw, I haven't been noticing it changing much since it's been open. Also, I've been bringing down the proof to probably 112-118 or so (unscientific guess).

• 1 month later...

New guy question, how do you tell what year each bottle is?

I found a bottle of George T. Stagg, but is the proof the and fact sheets the only way to tell what year the bottle is or are there other markings? Thanks!

I think the proof is the easiest way to tell. They do have those laser codes on them if you don't have the ability to look it up. Those are a pain to read and I would feel like an idiot holding a bottle up to the lights in the middle of the store.

"uh, sir, can we help you with something?" "Oh no, I'm just browsing."

Look up George Stagg on wikipedia. They have them all lined up neatly together for future reference.

New guy question, how do you tell what year each bottle is?

I found a bottle of George T. Stagg, but is the proof the and fact sheets the only way to tell what year the bottle is or are there other markings? Thanks!

I think you will need to go by the proof for the GTS (which should be on the label...then just check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_T._Stagg and compare). I just checked and my ER17 and Saz18 have bottling years listed on them, but my GTS and WLW do not.

Also, if you haven't had it before, just buy it! :) I have only had the 2011 but I still found it to be exceptional. It is a very interesting and complex bourbon.

I think the proof is the easiest way to tell. They do have those laser codes on them if you don't have the ability to look it up. Those are a pain to read and I would feel like an idiot holding a bottle up to the lights in the middle of the store.

"uh, sir, can we help you with something?" "Oh no, I'm just browsing."

Look up George Stagg on wikipedia. They have them all lined up neatly together for future reference.

I bought a bottle of GTS tonight, the 2011 edition based on the proof. Currently trying it neat with a splash of water.

• 2 months later...

Had my first 3-4 drinks of GTS 2011. I am in love. This stuff tastes amazing, and has the perfect afterburner. Rookie at tasting notes, but I get a bunch of grape, almost like grape bubble gum. Love it. GO CATS!!!:bigeyes:

• 2 months later...

So does BT release information about the release date or do they just release the collection all at once without prior notice?

So does BT release information about the release date or do they just release the collection all at once without prior notice?

1) They probably have a release campaign (press release, early reviews, fact sheet, etc)

2) The date won't help you in terms of purchasing because shipping dates will vary as well as how quickly each state releases stocks to individual stores.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.