Twisted Spoke 16-yr.old

bourbonmed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone heard of Twisted Spoke 16-yo bourbon? All I can find is a restaurant/bar club in Chicago named Twisted Spoke that apparently sells it for about $40. Is it any good?

Cheers,

Omar

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I've seen the site. The Twisted Spoke is indeed a well-know bar in Chicago. The bourbon they're selling might be a (high quality) special label brand bottled just for them. I do know of a brand called American Biker, but I doubt there's any relationship.

Chicago did you say?

16 years old, huh?

Hey, Julian, is this one of yours?

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Twisted Spoke is bottled for them by Julian at his Commonwealth Distillery. It is a pretty good bourbon and is available here in Nebraska for about $32. I asked about this on this forum sometime ago and got the answer straight from Julian himself.

Theron

I am fairly certain Twisted Spoke bourbon (which I've seen but not sampled) is another VanWinkle product. My source is Steve, bartender at D. Maries, Louisville. I know (from another source I just phoned) that it is not available in Indiana. Greg

Omar:

> Has anyone heard of Twisted Spoke 16-yo bourbon?

Not only have I heard of it, I have a bottle.

> All I can find is a restaurant/bar club in Chicago named Twisted Spoke that

> apparently sells it for about $40.

Seek enlightenment at http://www.spiritsofstlouis.com. They seem to be based in southern Illinois. Hey, that reminds me of another online likker retailer...

> Is it any good?

I like it. Can't tell exactly what it is, but it doesn't taste like an Old Rip even though it's bottled by Julian. Is it possible it's a higher-proof form of another infamous 16 YO bourbon Julian bottles under another name? Tastes somewhat similar after it gets a little air - telltale spice/leather notes indicate some rye in there, as does the slight mint near the end of the palate and the finish. Complex little number. Not that he'll 'fess up if it is this "other product", just idle speculation on my part. But yes, it's worth the $35 - $40 you'll pay for it.

Stotz

I agree with Ryan. Since that other bourbon that he is referring to is not available here in Nebraska I have not had the chance to compare them side by side. If you like Julians other whiskeys you will like this one.

Theron

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.