Beam's Frankfort KY Distiillery

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Back in July, Leslie and I ran in the Distillery Classic 5K, held at Jim Beam's Frankfort, KY location. It was a very pleasant day and an easy run. Especially the last mile or so with the strong scent of bourbon in the air grin.gif ( Unfortunatly they only served WATER at the water station frown.gif )

Anyway, I have not heard any talk of this particular JB distillery. What exactly do they produce here? Do they distill and bottle here, or is this just an aging facility?

For those that are interested, next year's Distillery Classic will be held at Maker's Mark. (I guess that leaves Linn out grin.gif )

This should be the Old Crow plant . Did you notice a wagon wheel in the facade of one of the buildings? Chuck will know all the details , as always.They sold the Castle distillery ( Old Taylor) I understood they were bottling at Old crow 10 or 12 years ago but I think they have stopped that .

Actually, what they discovered is the old Old Grand-Dad plant at Forks of Elkhorn, which was the old Kenner Taylor place before National bought it. Since Beam acquired it in 1987 they haven't operated the distillery, but they do have rackhouses there and a bottling house. I don't know if they still do this, but a few years ago they were having the bottling crew from Clermont work a couple of days a week at Frankfort. It was cheaper to have the people come there than to move the whiskey to Clermont for bottling.

It's a pretty modern facility and if Jim Beam ever wanted to crank up a third distillery, it probably would be that one. The plant isn't particularly attractive but the setting is beautiful.

>> ( Unfortunatly they only served WATER at the water station )

Reminds me of one on my favorite W. C. Fields lines (paraphrased): "Once we were stranded on safari in deepest Africa with no provisions except food and water."

Tim

Thanks for the info Chuck. It is a rather ordinary-looking facility, though the surrounding area is quite beautiful. So what are they bottling here if indeed they are?

>> So what are they bottling here if indeed they are? <<

Dunno. Could be anything. I assume the point is to bottle there whatever is aging there, but I don't know what that is. I'm sure it was Old Grand-Dad at first, but there's no particular reason to assume that now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.