WhiskeyFest Chicago lowers ticket prices.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WhiskeyFest Chicago is April 1, 2009, at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Chicago, from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM.

Malt Advocate, which sponsors the event, announced today that it is reducing the regular admission ticket price and kicking in a one-year Malt Advocate subscription with every ticket purchase. For more information, go here.

If you already bought your ticket, they will refund the difference.

New this year is a charity whiskey table featuring tastes of very rare whiskeys for a small donation, all of which goes to the Greater Chicago Food Depository. (The money, not the whiskey.)

Although I haven't heard any specifics yet, several local retailers and bars typically have their own special whiskey events timed to coincide with WhiskeyFest.

I've only ever been to the Chicago one, but there is also a WhiskeyFest New York and a WhiskeyFest San Francisco, both in the fall.

Like most things that cover the whiskey waterfront, the WhiskeyFest events are scotch-heavy, but there is so much to taste that you can limit yourself to American whiskey and still have plenty to do for the event's entire three-hour duration.

I have gone twice to the Chicago event and it makes for an enjoyable evening. It is really nice being able to taste multiple styles of whiskey / whisky, meet interesting people who share your interest, vote on the best "pourer staff" :) etc. The food is pretty good...and very few people really over-indulge....if you live local it is still a good idea to get a room downtown somewhere....plenty of places to stop for a late evening dinner etc.

In addition to reducing ticket prices, John Hansell has just announced that WhiskeyFest Chicago is being scaled back. Although he doesn't say by how much, they are "cutting back slightly on the number of tickets we sell." Putting the best possible face on the situation, which is obviously being driven by the recession, he says that will provide a "more intimate" experience.

True enough, in that I remember when it began, and it was smaller. In recent years, most of the seminar rooms have filled up and if you came in late, you probably couldn't get a seat let alone a taste of whatever they were sampling. At the peak of the evening, even the tasting hall can get shoulder-to-shoulder.

The bad economy may also reduce the number of scene-makers in favor of real whiskey enthusiasts, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Usually by this time of the year, we have some conversations here about who is planning to attend. I'll be there but, of course, it's easy for me as I'm already here.

• 3 weeks later...

fyi, we're having a world of whisky's event at the binnys south loop on march 31, and all sb's are certainly invited. Lots of goodies will be available, any many distillers will be in attendance. over 100 whisky, and whiskey's will be available. pm me if you'd like to attend. should be a blast. I'm sure we'll end up drinking at our bar late, traveling over to clark st. ale house for the late night owls among us.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the pleasnat surprise of getting a free pair of Whiskyfest tickets.

Stopped in a local liquor store and asked about some whiskey and if they may get it in stock. The rest of the conversation went like this...

Do you like whiskey?

Yes, I'm a whiskey guy. That will be in next week?

Yeah...hold on...let me get your phone number and I'll call you.

He disappears for a few minutes and comes back with a notebook.

What's your phone number?

My number is ................

Oh, and here's two tickets to Whiskeyfest. I better see you there.

WOW!!:grin:

Tommy, nice score!

I am planning to go to the Binny's event the night before Whiskyfest.

Mitch is also doing his pre-fest bourbonpalooza at Twisted Spoke. I'm missing this year as I'm still in New Zealand. Have fun.

Randy

I was considering Binny's whiskey event until I lucked into these.

Lucky day for me...I should have purchased a lottery ticket also.

I went to the Binny's 'World of Whiskey' last night and had a great time. Joe (Lost Polito) set me up well, I tried about 14 Whiskeys for the first time, and was able to meet John Hansell, Jimmy Russell(WT) and others.

Thanks again Joe.

Pictures from Binny's last night.

What the hell is that stuff in the third picture?

An ode to my long ago, former favorite spirit. CC is like my first kiss. :rolleyes: Don't worry, there's no going back to that!

Pictures from Binny's last night.

It looks like your photographer scared John.

An ode to my long ago, former favorite spirit. CC is like my first kiss. :rolleyes: Don't worry, there's no going back to that!

No problem Blitz. Glad you could make it out. Whiskey fest was awesome. I was lucky enough to try the " William Heaven Hill". I gotta say..... that is perhaps the best bourbon I've ever tasted. Shiny new penny color, and so smooth at 63%. I shared a glass with a friend from Scotland, and we concluded that it was the best whisk(e)y of the night. What a couple of foolishly fantastic couple of days we've had in Chicago!!!

Couple of canadians, while pouring in the tequila aisle.

Went to Whiskyfest last night and now my head hurts. argh.

One thing i seemed to noticed was many whiskies with a similiar taste...wondering if my taste buds were a little overloaded.

If I remember correctly I tried...

GTS

WLW

Handy

Sazerac

Lot B

PVW15

PVW20

PVW23

WT KS

Makers

Old Forester

OFBB

Michters SB

Michters SB rye

Stranahan's

EC18

Parker's Heritage

Eagle Rare

Four Roses small batch

Woodford Reserve

And then a nightcap at Delilah's with a few MM and cokes

and a PVW15 old fashioned.

" William Heaven Hill". I gotta say..... that is perhaps the best bourbon I've ever tasted.

For $500 it ought to be. That has to be the most expensive in production bourbon out there?

I'm bummed that my one crack at tasting the WHH was after the BTOTY and my tastebuds had checked out for the night.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.