BOTM 2/09: Hancock's Reserve

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I believe this may be the last of the Single Barrel Bourbons from Buffalo Trace to make it to the BOTM and probably not just as a coincidence it gets discussed the least. Originally introduced as Hancock's President's Reserve now known as just Hancock's Reserve is this month's BOTM.

Known for it's tropical like flavors, mango comes to mind, and slight honey molasses sweetness while probably not a top ten this is one of my favorite pours.

It is a short month and we're getting this up here late so that is quite apropos to a hardly discussed but very worthy bourbon.

:893drillsergeant-thSound Off:893drillsergeant-th

Well I recently got a bottle of this, as you would know as you posted it to me, and you have just given me the push to open it.

I will post my thoughts when I have done so. :grin:

Scott

It's expensive here in MI, about $50. I had a glass just one in a restaurant a couple months ago and found it very enjoyable, but haven't been willing to put out the money for a whole bottle.

Craig

It's expensive here in MI, about $50. I haven't been willing to put out the money for a whole bottle.

It is about the same price in TN. It is outside my price range for a bottle. Being it is the BOTM, I may have to budge a little....

A couple of thoughts, on this one:

Firstly, I am ashamed to admit that I received my first and only bottle of this as a birthday present from my parents some 16-17 yrs ago, but never drank a drop of it straight. Mixed the whole damn thing with Sprite...Yes, I suck.

Secondly, can anyone confirm that BT actually lowered the price on this a couple of years ago? Word was, that they were going to drop the price into the upper $20's. I don't think I've seen that price, yet.

Thirdly, this is one bourbon that is hard to find. I don't see it much.

Finally, I am going to hunt this one down, and try it...again. If I have to pay $40+, so be it.

P.S. I can remember my mom saying that the reason they bought this bourbon for me, was the impressive packaging. :) Looking back, it was kinda like an early version of WT Tribute.

Haven't seen this one at my usual haunts for a long time (I'd guess a year or more.) My suspicion is because of lack of sales.

HPR always seemed to be an odd duck to me. It didn't seem to have a logical place in the BT line-up; certainly not at it's premium price. Not a bad pour; just nothing to distinguish it. I've always smiled at it's 88.9 proof ---- did someone (in marketing perhaps) decide that 89 proof was too high?

If I get the chance I may search further afield. If, as some report, the price has come down, I'd give it a revisit.

Liquor Barn in Lexington had more than I am sure they knew what to do with last time I was there (October). It looked like they had a private bottling of it (odd choice). They had cases of it sitting everywhere.

-bk

Secondly, can anyone confirm that BT actually lowered the price on this a couple of years ago? Word was, that they were going to drop the price into the upper $20's. I don't think I've seen that price, yet.

I seem to recall it was in the $30s last time I was in the Chicago area - either at Sams or Binnys.

Craig

I checked Binny's friday night and it was $49.00. I wanted to buy it because it is BOTM, but nobody has posted a compelling reason to shell out that kind of dough. I went with ETL instead.

See VBT#63 for some good tasting notes, I couldn't describe it any better: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7275

As mentioned the price on this one varies greatly, and yes Ben Liquor Barn did a private barrel of it. At the sampler last year I brough a bottle to the gazebo, it was on sale at the time for $28 I believe which was the best price I'd ever seen on it. Unfortunately they didn't make a very good choice on their barrel, the flavors were just too mellow for my taste, but if it was still under $30 I'd say it's worth it.

When originally issued it was in a nice little tube almost identical to the WT Tribute and a slighty different bottle, label and had an insert describing the single barrel bourbon. I have 1 bottle from the original days, but lost the tube and insert in one of my many moves; otherwise I'd post a picture.

This one is very different from the typical flavor profile of Buffalo Trace bourbons IMO.

well hell... lets just post links to prior tastings for all our bourbons of the month.

[sorry for the smart ass reply in advance]

It is telling few are talking about the flavor here.

I was able to try some this weekend and was very impressed. The first hit is alcohol which seems to evaporate quickly, followed by sweet rye/ripe fruit notes and finishing with a long vanilla/oak flavor that is not over powering. A couple drops of water mellowed the alcohol and brought out more of the rye/fruit. It does seem to have a different flavor profile from the other BT offerings, but very enjoyable. A nice change of pace but perhaps not strong enough to be an every day pore. Does any one know why it is 88.9 proof? Seems a bit random.

I never understood why BT had 3 bourbon offerings from their high rye mashbill in the $40-60 range, but none from their low rye mashbill.

I saw this for $45 at Julio's this weekend and wanted to get it because I haven't been able to participate in a BOTM yet, but just wasn't going to shell out the dough when I already have a Julio's RHF & ETL....this can't be that different.

Hancock's President's Reserve was the bourbon that got me into bourbon in the first place. This was a couple of years ago at a bar in Lexington. My prior bourbon experience was with JB and OGD. The most I knew about bourbon back in the '70's is that it could just wreck ya quickly. I stopped caring about that and stopped drinking most whiskies altogether for a very long time.

When an acquaintance in Lexington professed to be a bourbon fanatic I asked him to suggest something, I was willing to give it a second chance. Out came the Hancock's and I was sold. While my impression now might be radically different than it was then, I found it to be deep, rich and mellow. Truly an eye-opener for one who had basically dismissed bourbon as something to light the charcoal grill with.

If I could find another bottle here in NH I'd buy it out of sheer gratitude. It's made me think a lot more highly about the bourbons I've dismissed before. It made me consider that somebody busted their ass to make the whiskey I casualy dismissed before. I've taken a few trips to the bottom shelf and realized that in a snowstorm here in the north, any bourbon is better than any other spirit. We Americans make the best whiskey and the best guitars, ever. Hancock's President's Reserve was the doorway for me, and I'll always be respectful of that.

Buy a bottle if you can. If you don't like it, send it to me. I will euthanize it with the proper dignity.;)

Cheers!

Got my first bottle open and I must say that it is no typically BT bourbon to me. Very light and elegant with honey sweetness under the crisp taste witch I cant describe. Maybe it is tropical fruits as Christian suggested. . It do actually remind me much more of I.W. Harper 12 than any BT brand.

I thought it was far to light at first and it still is light, but it has grown on me and I think it is completely ok as a aperitif when I don’t want anything heavy.

Leif

• 3 months later...

I purchased a bottle awhile back (thinking just before x-mas) I knew I was going to have a few inexperienced men and women over so I needed to have a Bourbon with some zing in it. I personally do not like lemony/fruity tasting whiskey. I am more of a oak/tobacco/nutty/floral kind of guy. I poured me a wee bit and let it open up. I had to taste it, after all I did buy it ( it was recommended to me by a co-worker) One thing that I did like about it was the rye taste in the finish, as I like rye whisky so I would not say it was a total bust. As for the inexperienced drinkers they seemed to like it. I had to make them taste it neat first. I caught one person trying to mix it right of the bat with out tasting it 1st.:smiley_acbt: When will people learn. :rolleyes: As everyone knows on this site Bourbon (neat) is a acquired taste. needless to say I still have 5/8 bottle of this left. They all wanted JD and coke and other mixed drinks. I do not do mix drinks at my house, so I believe that this is the last time these people will come over my house to drink. ---- That's okay more for me:grin:

• 2 months later...
Liquor Barn in Lexington had more than I am sure they knew what to do with last time I was there (October). It looked like they had a private bottling of it (odd choice). They had cases of it sitting everywhere.

-bk

Yea I think all the Liquor Barns have lots of these. I didn't examine the bottle too carefully, but I didn't see Liquor Barn on the bottle, only the bag. So this is more of a fruity whiskey? Not sure how I would like that. It's $30 at Liquor Barn. I don't know if I should pick it up whenever I get the money, or go with something else.

Interestingly enough, some of these Liquor Barn Hancock's are showing up at a store down here in Atlanta. I wonder how that happens...? :confused: Upper $40's, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.