Rittenhouse Rye BIB in KY

kickert
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I have been looking for Rittenhouse Rye BIB for about the last 2 months. I have visited or called every store in my area (BG, KY). I kept getting promises that they would order it, but it never turned up.

Today I got some troubling news. My regular store told me it was being discontinued. I panicked at first. Ritt BIB is my favorite rye and easily one of the best values in whiskey. So I called HH direct. They told me not to worry, the 80 proof and BIB are still safe, but the 23 year old got axed.

So I called the KY distributor. They said they are sold out of the Ritt BIB and the earliest they could get it would be the 24th, but in reality, it could be much later before HH actually delivers it.

I thought you all might be interested. I have feared for awhile that it could be cut or the price hiked up. Right now it looks like it is safe, but who knows about the price.

I always check the paper's on every line for what's in store for us each night. I try to keep a "timeline" on the line changes, label changes etc...etc..and know when things will start get busy for us.

Rittenhouse is scheduled today :grin: It's always a steady "regular" in small quantities (750 rnd.). We will run the 80 first then the 100.

EDIT: Oh and by the way...I see that you are from Kentucky...Add 6% sales tax to your next purchase starting April 1st :rolleyes:

Did I say Thank You Dan Kelly?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :smiley_acbt: :smiley_acbt: and guess what?....I hear he's not running for re-election?

As stated in other post I am not a rye guy, but Ritt BIB is the best way to go, that or Wild Turkey Rye 101.

All the other ones are just over priced window dressing.

As stated in other post I am not a rye guy, but Ritt BIB is the best way to go, that or Wild Turkey Rye 101.

All the other ones are just over priced window dressing.

Do we have this in Michigan? I have never seen it.

Do we have this in Michigan? I have never seen it.

Nope, I got mine in KY, IL has it, but Binny's and Sam's don't ship to MI.

Get a WTR101, it's great.

I have never seen this in Indiana, and I have been looking.

One store told me that they would get it for me, but they got the 21 YO instead. I was not ready to fork over $140, especially when I was expecting $14.

For Ohio folks there is apprently a few bottles in Canton.

Bit of a drive for me, but I spoke to someone from the state yesterday and thats the only store that has it.

One store told me that they would get it for me, but they got the 21 YO instead. I was not ready to fork over $140, especially when I was expecting $14.

I've seen the 21 yo in Michigan too.

The price has been steadily creeping up. I think I paid $17 for my last bottle.

I paid >$20 for my first bottle several years ago, $24 for my last bottle a month ago. I may be going with WT Rye for the same price and better availability.

Hey DeanSheen, Whereabouts in Canton is Rittenhouse BIB available? Canton is my local turf (at least while I'm at work). I'll go and rescue whatever is there if anyone wants some!

Thomas

I think it's this one.

S/SX 801 DBA OAKWOOD SQ WINE & SPIRITS J DAVIES, INC.

2658 EASTON STREET N.E. STARK JEFFREY DAVIES, PRES.

CANTON, OH 44721

330/492-1436 PERMIT NBR 1950735 03-11-05

** 10:00 7:00

I'll check it out tommorrow. This isn't the primary store I deal with but it does have some good stuff show up out of the blue. I recently got a Jim Beam distillers edition bottle here and it was the only place to get any Russells Reserve Rye in this area. I'll let you know what I find!

Thomas

All the stores I hunt in East Tennessee, that usually carry the Rit BIB, were out of it this week.

I got a bottle at Kahn's in Indianapolis, check there. Around $15 if I recall. The RR Rye is quite good too, and more available.

Nope, I got mine in KY, IL has it, but Binny's and Sam's don't ship to MI.

Get a WTR101, it's great.

Picked up some today, thanks.

I think it's this one.

S/SX 801 DBA OAKWOOD SQ WINE & SPIRITS J DAVIES, INC.

2658 EASTON STREET N.E. STARK JEFFREY DAVIES, PRES.

CANTON, OH 44721

330/492-1436 PERMIT NBR 1950735 03-11-05

** 10:00 7:00

I just got back from a trip to North Canton and back and, well...they're all out of Rittenhouse BIB now. :cool:

Did you get a reaction like: Man that stuff has been sitting here for months. or I better order up some more of this stuff etc?

I just got back from a trip to North Canton and back and, well...they're all out of Rittenhouse BIB now. :cool:

As I hauled it to the counter in two trips, I was greeted with "Did you get some for Christmas?" from the lady behind the register.

Wha? :skep:

She explained that they had special ordered a case for a woman who wanted to surprise her nephew at Christmas. Since the entire case of 12 wasn't purchased, the remainder was put on the shelf.

Funny they would say the 23-year-old was being "discontinued," as I always assumed it was a one-off. I know the 23 was from the same inventory as the 21, they just left it in wood a little longer. I wonder if they had more of that, in stainless perhaps, or if they had (and still have) more in the pipeline.

I commend Heaven Hill and any other producer who goes out on a limb and tests the limits of this category, but I think they found those extra-aged Rittenhouses, especially the 23, were a bit too expensive. If they do have more of that whiskey, I wonder what they'll do with it?

There has been some talk that the next release in the Parker's Heritage Collection will be a rye.

As for the regular Rittenhouse, supplies are tight and the price will inevitably rise, but I doubt the product itself is in any jeopardy. Just the opposite, as it has been a real winner for them. The fact that stores have trouble keeping it in stock is a good thing.

I've seen the 21 yo in Michigan too.

If it's been here in Michigan, it is no longer on the state list.

This site is useful, especially if you are shopping at a place like my regular store (A&L Wine Castle in Ann Arbor), which claims that they sell at state minimum price, but usually have the prices marked up 10-20%. I went there last evening and all three purchases were priced over state minimum. This really ticks me off, but they have a complete selection - everything on the state list. But you have to go prepared.

Jeff

If it's been here in Michigan, it is no longer on the state list.

This site is useful, especially if you are shopping at a place like my regular store (A&L Wine Castle in Ann Arbor), which claims that they sell at state minimum price, but usually have the prices marked up 10-20%. I went there last evening and all three purchases were priced over state minimum. This really ticks me off, but they have a complete selection - everything on the state list. But you have to go prepared.

Jeff

I've seen other things not on the state list too, like WTAS.

I've seen other things not on the state list too, like WTAS.

OT BIB, ER 101, Old Fitz BIB etc!

Yep Reggie you're right, there are lots of things on the shelf still, not on the list.

If you want to try the Ritt 21 rye I have one open.

Tony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.