My second bottle

submarine
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm new to straight bourbon, the drink and this site.

I'm currently enjoying my first bottle of Old Forester 86 but time is short for me to select my second "sample".

From reading this forum I'm thinking of Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and Russell’s reserve. I've also made notes on AA 10Yr, and VO Barton.

Anybody have some advice other than try them all (because I'll probably do that anyway)

If you were me what would you buy next?

John F

Hi and welcome!

Your nominations for your second bottle are all excellent choices, but I think I would recommend the Woodford Reserve. It is a very enjoyable bourbon, sweet and smooth.

The one drawback to that is that WR is very similar to Old Forester (in fact, they are the same whiskey except that extra good barrels are selected and given special aging to make WR).

So, you couldn't go wrong with Russell's Reserve. It is one of almost everyone's favorites.

And, Knob Creek isn't bad, either! grin.gif

Tim

Did something get chopped off on your RR comments?

Also, now that I know WR is similar/almost the same as OF How do RR and KC compare taste wise. Is one of them more "full bodied"?

I'm years away from being able to detect cherry, cinnamon, etc. But in other things like cigars & coffee I always wind up at the full bodied, full flavor, bold end of the spectrum.

John F

It would be hard to compare RR to KC without references to compare to. Both have bold flavors, but they are different. RR has the Wild Turkey taste while KC is Jim Beam all the way.

I personally think that RR would be a bit more interesting to a newcomer. But that's just my opinion. I, too, am not very good at describing the differences I taste. For that, I apologize, but I am giving you honest recommendations.

I do think you should eventually get around to all three. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John I have to agree with Tim. Russell's Reserve should be your next purchase. It is full flavored and full bodied. R'sR is BIG and Bold in every way. Rare Breed would also be a good choice. If you want to spoil yourself rotten just buy Kentucky Spirit. Welcome to Bourbonia! grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I personally think that RR would be a bit more interesting to a newcomer.

Oh, yes. Rare Breed is in my top three of big and bold. The others are Old Grand Dad 114 and Bookers.

And Rare Breed is still holding on to its spot as my favorite bourbon!

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.