So... anyone try (rí)1 yet?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, it looks like the Beam distillery is making a straight rye called (ri)1-- pronounced "Rye One"-- that is NSA and retails for about $45/btl in PA.

Apparently, a (ri)2 and (ri)3 are already in the works. I don't know what the difference would be-- it could be proof or age.

Anyway, it's a very attractive bottle, sort of like many luxury vodka bottles, and the spirit certainly has that reddish hue that other ryes, like Sazerac, also seem to sport.

I was wondering the following:

1) If anyone has tried it yet.

2) If it is worth the price-- granted, it is a Beam product and, therefore, overpriced to begin with, but I consider a few of their products, like Baker's, worth it.

2) If it is worth the price-- granted, it is a Beam product and, therefore, overpriced to begin with, but I consider a few of their products, like Baker's, worth it.

It is good drink - it isn't going to rock your socks off and I wouldn't pay $40 for it. I might pay $30 and certainly $25.

So 1) yes I have tried it. 2) it is overpriced.

And to answer third, unasked question... yes its good.

I think Chuck (Cowdery) started a thread about a while back.

I've tried it and it is okay, but not special, especially when compared to the hype, price, bottle, and competition.

I prefer Saz Jr., and here it is half the price.

For the price, it should compete with THH, and it does not, in any way.

To sum up: not bad, not special.

Tried it the day my favorite watering hole got it in stock ... while I don't believe it is worth the per bottle price, it is a good starter rye. Tasty enough, but not deeply complex. It does make a decent Sazerac, though.

2) It is a Beam product and, therefore, overpriced to begin with,

1.) No

2.) This is the reason for the answer to #1, plus I have not heard anything really good about it.

Maybe one day when I have $45 I want to just blow on something, I may pick it up......I can think of at least 5 other bottles I would rather get before this one though.

1.) No

2.) This is the reason for the answer to #1, plus I have not heard anything really good about it.

Maybe one day when I have $45 I want to just blow on something, I may pick it up......I can think of at least 5 other bottles I would rather get before this one though.

Ditto, except for the "5 other bottles" part.

I can think of at least 100 other bottles.

I'm with you guys. I've seen it as low as $30-ish on sale in a couple of stores, which I'll admit made me almost reach for my wallet. Then I remembered I haven't really heard anyone say very many nice things about it, and $30 is enough to buy a WT Rye or a Baby Saz and have cash left over.

Instead of the R1(1), I recomend you pick up the WT Rye 101.

It is very good and resonably priced .....

i was sooooo waiting for that reply !!!!:slappin:

Oh... and I agree !!!:grin:

I wish I could recommend WT101 Rye, but it would be like recommending that someone head out to look for someone to punch them in the throat. :skep: :lol:

I saw the (ri)1 today and passed on it.

I can see the value, in marketing terms, of creating a cool, trendy name for a product but that doesn't move me at all. It's like the name of one of those trendy fusion cuisine eateries where everything's dark, brushed aluminum, neon flourishes on the walls, and really horrible service from a lip-pierced, mascara soaked waitress named "Jaz." She says, "no, it's pronounced Yass, not Jazz."

Another thing I see the value in is the opinions of my fellow SB'ers. I've avoided this rye solely on the opinions expressed here (I'd try it but wouldn't buy it, if you know what I mean). I rarely seek the opinions of others in my daily life/career, but I value yours.

Cheers to all!

I had it at a tasting last fall. Very little flavor and very bitey. Any of the other rye's out there for $10-$30 / bottle blow it away.

Pricing aside, what I like best about (rí)1 is that it captures the whiskey at just that point in the aging process when the wood has softened most of its harshness, but before the barrel takes over completely. That’s a neat trick. It's also right where the product should be for its target audience.

Russell's Reserve Rye accomplishes the same trick at a significantly lower price.

I agree totally ... I'd rather have Russell's Reserve Rye any day.... even without considering the price differential.

Ditto, except for the "5 other bottles" part.

I can think of at least 100 other bottles.

Same here.....I was just trying to be nice:grin:.

yes yes yes....here, it is often on sale for $17.99 or so...that's almost 3 bottles of pure craft (it really is tasty and nearly perfect) for that bottle of FADDISHNESS.

i know it's 'good' but that marketing is just a big turnoff.

doesn't beam know they are simply catching those unaware? that the informed REAL whiskey drinkers are not impressed? please, BEAM spies, i hope you are reading this.

please amp up beam rye to 100 proof and be done with it.

Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt Rye are both so disgusting that I think that [ri]1 is just about the only pour I would pass on even if someone else was buying.

That would be a mistake, Oscar. I think Chuck is 100% on this one. The only off-note on (ri)1 is the price. If someone else is paying the cost, it's easily worth a sip. A lot of people seem offended by Beam targeting an audience other than serious whiskey drinkers, but I'm willing to bet that the biggest growth market for rye is for classic cocktails. That's definitely what popularized Rittenhouse Rye. When you're willing to pay 12 to 20 bucks for a specialty cocktail, (ri)1 is a good choice for a base spirit. It mixes brilliantly. As does Russell's Reserve Rye. I'd be curious to know how much (ri)1 was bottled and where it was distributed. I hope they stick to their guns and follow up with 2 and 3.

-Mike

uhm no, I was just commenting on the fact that since the two JB ryes (JBR & OOR) are so bad that I have no interest in the latest one, which of course is [ri]1.

I've hated Beam yellow label when I've had it as well. There's no comparison to (ri)1. The only Overholt I've had recently is the old PA 86 stuff.

-Mike

I came very close to buying a pour of (ri)1 yesterday at the new bourbon bar in Downtown Cleveland. After having a pour of BT to start, I was looking for a follow-up and the (ri)1 was right in front on the shelf.

Since I didn't want to try it after a more robust bourbon and a burger, I passed. The fact that I was headed to watch some basketball from a suite at Quicken Loans Arena, made the 200 of Weller Antique stashed on my person for transport a better choice. :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.