So... anyone try (rí)1 yet?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Minimally, it's $20 too expensive. But, I certainly don't fault them for their attempt. Actually, I Love anything new from distilleries. The Idea, the Target, the Mojo they want to create...Terrific! I have no problem with a good, solid effort to create something...even if it is a marketing play. But on this one, there is nothing distinguishing about this whiskey that allows THAT kind of premium over the Triple R. And, the Triple R is it's comp in this arena. And, the target arena has been described so well on these boards :D. (I particularly like Jememy's take on them. :D)Incidentally, WT just upped the ante, by redressing the RRR to be more visulally appealing. Coincidence? Listen, I panned the RRR when it came out, too. So, I've got no dog in this fight. (Well, I do think Baby Saz is vastly superior to both of these, and the the Biggest Dog on that block) Yeah, this whiskey is all about a marketing effort to create something beyond what's inside the purdy bottle. And, I ain't sayin' that's bad. But, there are 4 P's to Marketing...And, they utterly tanked on the Price one. I won't even go into the Product "P" (Ain't crazy about, BTW). But, in the whole scheme of things to the Target Market, I doubt that means a whole lot. So, it don't mean squadush.

But, as I've said before...Keep trying Fellas!! I, in fact, am anxiously awaiting (ri)2 and (ri)3!!!! If it's what I like in a rye, I'll GLADLY pay $49...or, more!!

Well... the responses I've seen have been pretty interesting... and pretty polarized.

I haven't had Jim Beam Rye as of yet, so I can't comment on it. The WT 101 Rye was pretty good, though. Of course, Sazerac is the veritable titan in this arena (I can't get Rittenhouse in my state, ironically-enough...), and that will be the standard I will judge any rye against. The WT had a good kick, but the boldness and flavor fell just a little short of the Saz.

Anyway, keep the replies coming. This is getting interesting!

Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt Rye are both so disgusting that I think that [ri]1 is just about the only pour I would pass on even if someone else was buying.

You've got a free pour coming next time I see you Oscar. I don't care for beam rye's either, but this one wasn't bad at all. Just a lil' to pricey on the shelf.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.