Special Occasion Bourbon

AmeliaC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We know what a special Bourbon is....Like Wathens, or Van Winkle, or Woodford Reserve, What is your favorite occasion and special Bourbon that you enjoy together? So far mine is Van Winkle. blush.gif

For example: You drank Wild Turkey when you graduated from college, or you drank Evan Williams Single Barrel when your granddaughter was born. grin.gif

Well, my favorite occasion is when the Braves win the World Series, but I don't have to worry about that, too often. smirk.gif

My favorite special occasion bourbon is probably Kentucky Spirit. The main contender would be Blanton's.

Tim

In general, I only drink my Hirsch on Independence Day and my Distiller's Masterpiece on Thanksgiving. I also have a Pappy 23, that I expect to crack on Mardi-Gra, and make that an annual event also. wink.gif

I have also been know to pour these to celebrate things that just come up, as well as to share them with out of town visitors who would appreciate (and often have not tried) them. cool.gif

Hey Amelia!

So very cool to see you here! There is strength in numbers...

Yes, yes...I drank Wild Turkey when I got married. (skeers me to drink it to this day... crazy.gif ) Jim Beam Black and Makers Mark also come to mind on a couple of other milestones, although I rarely drink them now.

Used to be a whole lot easier to remember them and keep it all straight. Then again, it used to be alot easier to do alot of stuff. grin.gif

Welcome,

Beej

John,

With this group, you must be very careful...

<snip>I have also been know to pour these to celebrate things that just come up, as well as to share them with out of town visitors who would appreciate (and often have not tried) them.</snip>

least you come home one afternoon to find half a dozen happy, smiling faces holding empty glasses...

I'll be the short one in the front smirk.gif

Beej

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Well, my favorite occasion is when the Braves win the World Series, but I don't have to worry about that, too often.

Welcome aboard (no pun intended) Amelia! What a great question!

Lets see, the first bourbon I had was Maker's Mark and the most special occasion bourbon was my best man bought me a bottle of BLANTON'S for my bachelor party, I finished up my bachelorhood in style. . . . Right now my Wathens and ORVW 10 are my special occasion bourbons, cause they are both really good and I wont be getting anymore till at least June, so there has to be a good reason to drink them!

TomC

This thread seemed more appropriate up here to me, might get a little more "action" too wink.gifwink.gif !

TomC

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

So far mine is Van Winkle.

I'm with you, Dave, on VWFR 13yo Rye being my current favorite American whiskey. And, now that Julian has apparently bottled the last of that stock, it will become rarer with each passing day, thus becoming more of a "special occasion" pour. Thank the whiskey gods I have a few bottles in reserve for any special moments in the future wink.gif

SpeedyJohn

I cracked open a bottle of Evan William's single barrel '91 vintage to celebrate Bama's thrashing of Tennessee.

Roll Tide you Big Orange blockheads!!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

-Troy

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Amelia and congratulations on your first thread! I take everyday as it comes, so anyday I'm not fired or laid off, my house doesn't burn down, and I don't have a car wreak, or that nothing bad happens to those close to me is good cause for celebration! I have a lot of bourbons that I consider special and I do not hesitate to open a bottle just because it isn't Christmas; New Year's Eve, or some other special date. If I feel like drinking it - I will! wink.gif

AC, Sometimes a bourbon is "made better" by the occasion. My favorites include Woodford, WT products, etc. Although some of my fondest memories include my older brother and I sharing Old Charter, OGD 100, etc. I would consider these decent pours-not premium-but made all the more fonder because of the time spent. Years ago, if we could have scraped up a little more change, just think of the time we could have had! See ya, H'wood cool.gif

I hear you Troy! Roll Tide! And speaking of the Evan Williams Single Barrel-I have bought a bottle, and added to the collection, however I haven't broke the seal yet. Let me hear some thoughts/opinions on it. Thanks, H'wood cool.gif

Heh, heh. That reminds me of the "unbirthday" party in Disney's Alice in Wonderland. "Every year I have only one birthday, but I have 364 unbirthdays."

Tim

I had planned on buying a bottle of Kentucky Spirit to celebrate Kentucky's Win over Georgia. After the 1st half I had my shoes on ready to head out to the LB. After the third quarter I went out and bought Evan Williams 7yo, 'cause I knew I was going to be drinking a lot frown.gif

Somehow I feel as though AmeliaC already knows this but I'll post it anyway. My last special Bourbon/special Occasion was to celebrate finding 7 bottles of the " Birthday Bourbon" and I pulled the plug/cork on one of them.Other than that I think I'm squarely in Linn's camp . grin.gif

Yes , Dave , 10 YO 107 Proof and my special occasion was at the cookout at our house this year when i got to meet alot of you nice people. Hope to see you all next year.. laugh.gif Amelia C.

Amelia,

Yes, your cookout was definately one of those special Bourbon occassions. I just wish I could remember what I was drinking... crazy.gif

Seriously, it was a great party and I have a feeling next year is gonna get even better.

Beej

Hollywood, I'm a newcomer to the Evan William's single barrel bottlings and, though it may take me a while to get acquainted with this '91 vintage, I'm already impressed with the two samplings I've had.

Actually my impressions of this bourbon are extremely similar to what Jeff noted in an earlier post.

Jeff said "The nose is very corn-heavy, but not really corn; more like green corn husks." That was close to my experience. Not really corn but something green and earthy...organic with mild similarities to Buffalo Trace. It struck me as a delicate single barrel with certain subtleties I haven't yet identified. And there is a sweetness to this bourbon that I also enjoyed.

Good stuff. I'm sure you'll appreciate your bottle.

-Troy

Troy, thanks again. I am looking forward to it. My bottle is 09-26-91-bottle #340. Strange enough, I was looking at a place here in B'ham that "specializes in liquor and cigars". Myyyyy how they are proud!!! Example: Liquor I buy elsewhere say runs me $30, in-state would run me $42-at this store it'll run you $50! Needless to say I don't shop there often, but they do have hard to find and specialty items. Some have been on the shelf forever (not discounted either). Getting more with my point-they still have '87&'88 EWSB! The list goes on, and many items covered with dust! shocked.gifgrin.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.